Hornby 2021 - Mk 4 coaching stock with DVTs

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but Hornby Magazines webpage says Hornby has revised the coaching stock available. 

DCD4F548-7025-45C0-8D41-F135ABF8364D.jpeg

Yes these changes were made recently. Retailers are also contacting those who pre-ordered the coaches to inform them about the changes

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will the Mk4 DVT have opening cab doors and a painted, detailed cab interior as with the similarly priced Hornby Mk3 DVT?

Their recent class 87 model had very poor detailing with just a grey plastic cab interior, quite a downgrade from their class 60 and the like.

Edited by scottrains29

27 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Hmm something doesn’t look right about the light clusters on the DVT. They don’t seem to be as recessed as the real ones do.

I agree, they have been modelled on the 'surface'. In reality they should be recessed and then covered with a glazing panel that is flush with the surface of the front end.

Dapol managed this 'covered glazing' effect iwth the 68, and Bachmann with the 90. Even Hornby with the Class 43 (pre refurb versions)

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Even Hornby with the Class 43

And the 91 ES.

45 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Will the Mk4 DVT have opening cab doors

Does anybody actually care about opening cab doors other than it being "detail" for details sake?

1 hour ago, GEOEng03 said:

The GNER set will look rather spectacular at speed once released

Yes, out of era for me so I won't be partaking in GNER but it's the best livery the 91/mk4 combination has had I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottrains29 said:

Will the Mk4 DVT have opening cab doors and a painted, detailed cab interior as with the similarly priced Hornby Mk3 DVT?

The Mk4 DVT is £5 cheaper than the Mk3. Not sure why but it did strike me as a little odd as I would have assumed they would be very similar spec'd models. Maybe the Mk4 won't have opening doors? The pictures of the engineering samples in the Engine Shed blog don't look, to my eyes at least, like they open but not sure how indicative of the final model these are.

10 minutes ago, InterCity80s said:

Isn't that what they've done? Or do I need new glasses :unsure:

No, looks very much like the light apertures are level with the front of the body, rather than recessed with a single glazed panel covering all three openings

Edited by G-BOAF

2 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

No, it will not have opening doors, they did away with opening doors in 2012 when the Class 67 was announced as a newly-tooled model.

Not sure about the cab interior, I was surprised by the lack of painted interiors on my Class 87. Maybe one of their funny cost saving measures.

31 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

No, looks very much like the light apertures are level with the front of the body, rather than recessed with a single glazed panel covering all three openings

I disagree, zooming it it looks like there is a thin glazed panel to me. I'd be amazed if it wasn't glazed especially since the 91 is.

Screenshot_20210226-165057_Chrome.jpg.e4e1d2fa04d044646f5d1989c0843486.jpgScreenshot_20210226-165029_Chrome.jpg.2a1c377ae23f7d0eb72cdab76e8100ed.jpg

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I disagree, zooming it it looks like there is a thin glazed panel to me. I'd be amazed if it wasn't glazed especially since the 91 is.

Screenshot_20210226-165057_Chrome.jpg.e4e1d2fa04d044646f5d1989c0843486.jpgScreenshot_20210226-165029_Chrome.jpg.2a1c377ae23f7d0eb72cdab76e8100ed.jpg

The headlight clusters are part of the body moulding and the glazing/lenses are a a separate part. It is quite evident with the flat face of the light cluster and the gentle curve of the glazing/lens.

I'm not familiar with the Mk4 DVT, but it looks to me as if the light cluster is too close to the glazing/lens rather than being sunken in a bit.

440109026_Mk4DVT.jpg.a381de6427e8b6f508a4455d1bc92edb.jpg

66543.jpg.abc3c7d16859cede8efbea8167113fb7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

The headlight clusters are part of the body moulding and the glazing/lenses are a a separate part. It is quite evident with the flat face of the light cluster and the gentle curve of the glazing/lens.

I'm not familiar with the Mk4 DVT, but it looks to me as if the light cluster is too close to the glazing/lens rather than being sunken in a bit.

I agree that they could be further recessed, I understood the post I was quoting to be suggesting they weren't glazed.

If they are going to paint it all black it might not make much difference anyway!

9 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

No, it will not have opening doors, they did away with opening doors in 2012 when the Class 67 was announced as a newly-tooled model.

Thanks, I hadn't realised they had stopped doing them completely. I just assumed the 67 and 87 weren't able to have them due to space restraints. The Hornby Mk3 DVT must have been one of the last models Hornby designed to include the feature.

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Does anybody actually care about opening cab doors other than it being "detail" for details sake?

It's a nice feature to have, even if many people don't use them. Same could be said about sprung buffers. Locos are often seen with a door open especially during the hot summer months. The majority of Hornby full spec models all feature them as do some of Bachmann's and the forthcoming Dapol class 59. The extra cost can't be that much considering the similarly priced Mk3 DVT has them.

• Like 1

It's a nice feature to have, even if many people don't use them. Same could be said about sprung buffers.

Sprung buffers I don't think are particularly important either, although I do feel having the buffers as a metal component is a plus.

Locos are often seen with a door open especially during the hot summer months.

Yes but Hornby spring load the door which means you have to have it to bits to remove the spring or jam it open. That's the thing about it I least understand, that it's a feature that pretty much nullifies its own purpose/makes it more of a gimmick than it has to be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes but Hornby spring load the door which means you have to have it to bits to remove the spring or jam it open. That's the thing about it I least understand, that it's a feature that pretty much nullifies its own purpose/makes it more of a gimmick than it has to be.

If the opening doors weren't sprung, imagine the number of people who would be cursing whilst removing the loco body to push them closed again and glue them.  They're a gimmick too far in my opinion, just like rotating radiator fans in diesel locos...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

If the opening doors weren't sprung, imagine the number of people who would be cursing whilst removing the loco body to push them closed again and glue them.  They're a gimmick too far in my opinion, just like rotating radiator fans in diesel locos...

I agree, it's one of those where if they weren't sprung they'd annoy people but because they are there isn't much point!

Rotating fans would be less of a gimmick if they were separately powered, but then who'd pay the premium it would command?

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Rotating fans would be less of a gimmick if they were separately powered, but then who'd pay the premium it would command?

It would depend on the premium but if Bachmann’s 90 with its powered panto was affordable, then a separately powered fan should be too, just so long as it’s co-ordinated with the fan sound. Probably not too expensive on most diesels but a Deltic or a Western would be another matter!

On 26/02/2021 at 16:20, G-BOAF said:

It would be nice if some of those grilles or door rails were etched, but hopefully they will be neatened up for the proper model, I do hope the buffers are sprung always nice to be able bring a loco right up to each other, even if you can only do it without couplings around.

I've just noticed that there is no NEM pocket at the front, does this mean we can't run blunt end first?