Hornby 2021 - Mk 4 coaching stock with DVTs

AY Mod

12 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

That's the DVT, not the loco.

Yes, if the DVT doesn't have a coupling for the front then how do you expect to couple a 91 to the front or even a 67?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, XChris said:

Yes, if the DVT doesn't have a coupling for the front then how do you expect to couple a 91 to the front or even a 67?

One of those awkward trade-offs I guess, for both the loco and the DVT - would you prefer a wonderfully-detailed front valence for "normal" running, or one with a whacking great hole in it to allow for the fitting of a coupling for "blunt end first" and "dragging"?  

All Hornby have to do is guess which option the majority would prefer and how to placate those that disagree (there will be plenty who would forego the front coupling in return for a better front-end valence appearance).  

Perhaps they could increase the cost a little by designing an appropriate blanking plate to clip into the NEM pocket if a coupling isn't required (assuming that the coupling geometry doesn't require the pocket to protrude in front of the valence at all). 

Glad I'm not deciding that one, but I know which one I'd prefer, and which I'd be sorely disappointed with the look of...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

One of those awkward trade-offs I guess, for both the loco and the DVT - would you prefer a wonderfully-detailed front valence for "normal" running, or one with a whacking great hole in it to allow for the fitting of a coupling for "blunt end first" and "dragging"?  

All Hornby have to do is guess which option the majority would prefer and how to placate those that disagree (there will be plenty who would forego the front coupling in return for a better front-end valence appearance).  

Perhaps they could increase the cost a little by designing an appropriate blanking plate to clip into the NEM pocket if a coupling isn't required (assuming that the coupling geometry doesn't require the pocket to protrude in front of the valence at all). 

Glad I'm not deciding that one, but I know which one I'd prefer, and which I'd be sorely disappointed with the look of...

Something like the Bachmann 90, would have been nice. I haven't heard too many complaints about that or maybe the detail pack will allow us to choose between a hole for the coupling or the bit we can see in the designs like the Dapol 68's have.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I expect they could do something similar to what Dapol did with the 68 and Hattons did with the 66 where two different valances come with the loco/DVT and the user fits which one they want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

I expect they could do something similar to what Dapol did with the 68 and Hattons did with the 66 where two different valances come with the loco/DVT and the user fits which one they want.

That's if we think Hornby are actually going to do things for the modeller and not just churn out the first lump that they can.

• RMweb Premium

5 minutes ago, XChris said:

Something like the Bachmann 90, would have been nice. I haven't heard too many complaints about that or maybe the detail pack will allow us to choose between a hole for the coupling or the bit we can see in the designs like the Dapol 68's have.

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah, those sorts of things would probably work.  I didn't express myself very well, but that's what I actually had in mind when I wrote:

16 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

...designing an appropriate blanking plate to clip into the NEM pocket if a coupling isn't required (assuming that the coupling geometry doesn't require the pocket to protrude in front of the valence at all). 

Looking at the design of the front valence, would it have to be a whole replacement piece? - it looks quite a large chunk of bodywork (buffer beam and everything below it).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Looking at the design of the front valence, would it have to be a whole replacement piece? - it looks quite a large chunk of bodywork (buffer beam and everything below it).

The chunks that come off the 68 and Hattons 66's are of considerable size, as it's sometimes easier with the tooling if it's a bigger bit. Let's hope Hornby do the right thing here...

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, XChris said:

It would be nice if some of those grilles or door rails were etched, but hopefully they will be neatened up for the proper model, I do hope the buffers are sprung always nice to be able bring a loco right up to each other, even if you can only do it without couplings around.

I've just noticed that there is no NEM pocket at the front, does this mean we can't run blunt end first?

Grilles - YES (etched ones would look better, but what's in the EP doesn't look so bad, need to see what it will look like when painted). 

Door rails - NO (bit of am overkill to have such a thing etched. Push up the price of something that can be moulded on easily. 

Sprung buffers - Quite clearly obvious that we'll get sprung buffers. It's also the norm now (unless the model cannot have it for some reason). 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, delticfan said:

Ordered the Intercity liveried Class 91, and Class 43 DVT, does anyone know of any coach rakes to go in between. It’s great Hornby have done the DVT always thought it looked quirky.

A rake of Intercity liveried Mk3s - the 91s worked with Mk3s and ex-HST power car DVTs as the Mk4 rakes weren't ready...

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

A rake of Intercity liveried Mk3s - the 91s worked with Mk3s and ex-HST power car DVTs as the Mk4 rakes weren't ready...

Thanks for that, I did find last night a DVT in intercity livery attached to a blue grey rake of mk3’s, I couldn’t see what was on the other end though. Hoping Rails of Sheffield do 89001. Hats off to Hornby for the DVT Class 43 though...

31 minutes ago, delticfan said:

Thanks for that, I did find last night a DVT in intercity livery attached to a blue grey rake of mk3’s, I couldn’t see what was on the other end though. Hoping Rails of Sheffield do 89001. Hats off to Hornby for the DVT Class 43 though...

Hallo

At approx 5m05 and at 6m50. The set at 5m05 has the 91 running blunt end first.

Note the TGS, they were HST stock

es grüßt

pc 

• Round of applause 1

23 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Hallo

At approx 5m05 and at 6m50. The set at 5m05 has the 91 running blunt end first.

Note the TGS, they were HST stock

es grüßt

pc 

Quality video thank you, and here’s me ditching spotting when the Deltics went. Just goes to show how interesting things got when I resurrected my interest in trains with a Lima Class 87 in 1988, then the excitement when Hornby announced their first go at a Class 91.

So happy Hornby decided to produce the Mallard Mk4 sets rather than the original GNER version. Just pre-ordered the full train at TMC, here's hoping Hornby fulfil the orders placed at retailers.

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Due to COV-19 restrictions, I've been unable to visit my local model shop as he was closed and doesn't do internet orders.

Finally made it to the shop at the beginning of May, reviewed my Hornby catalogue ordered a full set of MK4 coaches in the original Intercity branding the same day, only to be told by him weeks later that Hornby have sold out of the Intercity Mk4s and I couldn't order them. I was a bit upset at this news (not at him, but the lack of availability to pre-order with Hornby), as I had expressed interest with Cavalex for the 91 and Mk4 coaches. Subsequently ordered the 91 from my local retailer (same as above) last year but, now told I couldn't have the Mk4s.

Thankfully I've contacted KMS Railtech and they have spare in their allocation for the Mk4 coaches.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Happy to see that the new coupling fits into an NEM pocket - if it's too rigid at least I can try fitting something else!  Something with a bit of vertical play in it - an unfortunate combination of gradients and curves has caused no end of problems with the very rigid couplings on my IETs, even after the fixes to stop the bogies catching on the bodies...

On 25/06/2021 at 16:43, QuoitsPlayer said:

More pictures in this week's engine shed:

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/marked-progress 

Not a Mk4 expert but they look good and I'd query if the new coupling is a Hornby version of Hunt Couplings. The close coupling looks very good :)

Looking good,

Although hoping that Hornby have an alternative end tooling for at least the TOE on the TfWR vehicles. In theory all other (TfWR) vehicles should be missing the aero baffles on the non-drivers side (relative to the DVT cab).

Also noted is the WiFi connection on the TOE sample shown, which is correct for the post Mallard vehicles Hornby are now doing I believe. 

• Agree 1