Hornby 2021 - Mk 4 coaching stock with DVTs

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, scouse889 said:

I wonder if anyone who has the TfW sets has found an issue when pushing the coaches and DVT with a Class 67 at the rear? I am using the Hunt Couplings designed for the DVTs and MkIV coaches and am finding that  they are not rigid enough to hold the coaches apart properly on even third radius curves, resulting in the coach gangways coming together and/or the 67 buffer locking with the TSOE and then derailing the train. Has anyone else had issues and found a better solution?

I've got a full LNER rake fitted with Hunt couplings ( 9 coaches + DVT ) and it works fine pushing & pulling, around curves much tighter than third radius.

Admittedly, it's a 91 pushing rather than a 67, but there's no issues at all.

Hope you solve the issue, as the magnetic couplings make removing the coaches from the layout much easier !

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Managed to grab a full rake of the 8 intercity coaches for £19 a coach at Kernow. At that price I can live with the various niggles. I eventually do want a 225 set and whilst I don't have the DVT or a 91 I can hopefully get these in a future run that hopefully addresses some of the foibles made with those.

7 hours ago, E100 said:

Managed to grab a full rake of the 8 intercity coaches for £19 a coach at Kernow. At that price I can live with the various niggles. I eventually do want a 225 set and whilst I don't have the DVT or a 91 I can hopefully get these in a future run that hopefully addresses some of the foibles made with those.

Same here, got the 8 coaches minus DVT from Rails for under £18 a coach, albeit there were some shipping costs.

IMG_5686.jpeg.932e69c763c6a04119dbaf121ea6a8d8.jpeg

Hope I can get a matching DVT and maybe a Class 91 with these.

I'm not sure why the discount though; Is the Intercity 225 on the more niche side of UK railway modeling?

Anyway here are some thoughts on the model:

IMG_5687.jpeg.fecd014675d69f46b769c119cda7d3db.jpeg

The silver window outlines seem to not match the moulding, this wasn't the case for Mk3s. Its pretty unnoticable though.

IMG_5688.jpeg.ce45dbb68c64e8036972d46c54c181dd.jpeg
I appreciate the alternate couplings that were given. The continental European loop coupling gives closer coupling than the tension locks, and the bar coupling shrinks that gap further, to less than 2mm.

I am not sure how flimsy the bar couplings are, and I don't want to risk breaking them, (had that experience with the 2-BILs, though a different bar coupling) so I will be ordering Hunt couplings.

The NEM prong on the couplings seems to have variable size tolerances across the coaches. One of the pre-fitted tension locks were too tight and the rounded ends are too big for it to pull it out, and it stops mid way when I try. It's a mystery how that got fit in the first place.

Not sure how to resolve that at the moment.

But overall, for the price I paid I think it was worth it.

Edited by BrakeCoach
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, I think boils down to that they would be excellent coaches if released in 2010 we've just come to expect a bit more (lights, real lenses, decorated interior, better QA etc). Buying them at 2010's prices feels much fairer in so many ways, coming from someone who is happy to shell out for Accurascale's latest wares at £60 a coach and even a Dapol inspection saloon.