Hornby 2021 - Mk 4 coaching stock with DVTs

AY Mod

27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Europhoenix ?

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/europhoenix-earmarks-91s-for-european-freight-use

Not to imply in any way that this would be one of the ones I would want to see produced, but given Hornby's track record of going for the off the wall (Floyd 56?!) nothing would surprise me, so I just added it for completeness....

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Agreed, Hornby don't release things very quickly (still waiting for a 60 in Railfreight Metal sector myself - and a coal one in the correct colours would be nice, but I digress), although on the other hand they do tend to have at least one or two models of each class on average in the range every year. So when you take this approach with the 60s and 43s, which are quite numerous and have worn lots of liveries over the years, it takes a while for each livery to come round. But then compare that with the 67s, for instance, and I think Hornby have done pretty much every livery ever worn by the class, in may cases in duplicate and triplicate, plus some of the one-offs, because there just isn't the same variation as for some of the other classes. In this regard the 91s are quite similar and so are a good choice for Hornby. Off the top of my head:

1. as built Intercity Swallow

2. GNER gold 91/0

3. experimental GNER silver 91/0

4. refurb GNER gold 91/1

5. NXEC branded ex-GNER

6. NXEC (only one loco, 91111, IIRC?)

7. East Coast branded ex-GNER

8. East Coast branded ex-NXEC (91111)

9. East Coast

10. Virgin branded ex-East Coast

11. VTEC

12. LNER

13. Europhoenix

14. 91119 re-created Swallow

other one-offs:

15. Flying Scotsman

16. For The Fallen

17. Skyfall

18. Sky TV??

I guess these will have subtle variations depending on operator/timeframe, as we have already been talking about with 91111 For The Fallen.

But I think that's pretty much it? So, a few more than 20 in total including every single variation of basic liveries, including variations of one-offs (!), and we have 4 locos to kick off with in the initial releases, so not going to be too long before there must be some duplication in livery - you would imagine Hornby will want to maximise profit from their new tooling investment by releasing more soon (assuming they are good sellers), and I guess it would be good for them to do this at least in part before the real locos disappear from the UK for ever.

By experimental GNER silver, do you might mean white lettering? https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/16162853911

Not aware of one with silver, but happy to be corrected.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Correction

14 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

By experimental GNER silver, do you might mean white lettering? https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/16162853911

Not aware of one with silver, but happy to be corrected.

Roy

Yes, that’s the one. Apologies, always thought it was a grey/silver colour, but certainly looks white on that photo. Never saw it in the flesh (that’s my excuse anyway) ! :D

Edited by scouse889
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GordonC said:

It would make sense if they did capitalise on the tooling they have, but Hornby dont tend to go through every livery combination quickly, e.g. how long did it take to get an Intercity Executive HST and even then the branding was silver rather than white and things like Class 31s have obvious gaps in what has been produced 20 years later.

It would make sense to us, but Hornby have rarely made any sense in the last 20 years in the Diesel/Electric scene to me at least, others may disagree.

but they have existing RTR Class90 tooling, mk3 coaches & DVTs, they could not only correct the Anglia "One" Refresher livery mistakes of the past, they could then literally release a whole bunch of TOC livery examples with those toolings, no one else is doing those liveries, and they are happy to keep release freightliner Class 90s even in direct competition with Bachmann, but they dont, and I genuinely never expect they will, certainly now they are certainly further down the line in the ex passenger train use than even the 91s or HSTs are.

so what gives us hope even with new toolings, and they made new toolings for the mk 3 DVTs which they arent exactly rushing to produce many varied versions of, they are going to go on a tour of even most of the Class 91 liveries there have been ?  the 4 weve got geniunely Id expect to be as far as it goes honestly.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see the HST surrogate DVT is starting to arrive with retailers. I assume there is still working lights etc. Will give me some variety with my swallow intercity power cars too. Looking forward to it arriving. 

3 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I see the HST surrogate DVT is starting to arrive with retailers. I assume there is still working lights etc. Will give me some variety with my swallow intercity power cars too. Looking forward to it arriving. 

There's a label on the front of the box saying 'Working Lights' so should be good, As others have noted, it's a great value way of getting a non-motored HST power car.

• Thanks 1

Brought a couple of the class 43 DVTs myself! For £74 each you can’t go wrong! They seem to be selling out at stockists fast, 
I do find it hard to believe that it costs Hornby a further £250 on top of this to produce a powered version! 
I’m planning to use mine as an unpowered pair to shunt around the depot or for a HST loco drag.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Did the Mk3 HST DVTs get used as 'Intercity 125' sets in-between runs with the 91s or were they semi permanent rakes? I'm wondering if I could use mine in a hst set with the full yellow end or were they repainted before going back into the HST sets? 

17 hours ago, QuoitsPlayer said:

Did the Mk3 HST DVTs get used as 'Intercity 125' sets in-between runs with the 91s or were they semi permanent rakes? I'm wondering if I could use mine in a hst set with the full yellow end or were they repainted before going back into the HST sets? 

43013 + 084, Connah's Quay, July 1991

They weren't repainted immediately as this photo (not mine) shows. 

Bruce

• Like 4

Disappointed to see the Class 43 DVT is the old tooling with the non-close-coupling.

Missed sale from me here, as I would gladly have waited another few months or year for the improved power car...

Especially since the Class 43 and New MkIII combo would have actually matched the Class 91 in terms of detail and couplings...

Hopefully there will be a re-release with the new tooling in the future.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2022 at 12:38, G-BOAF said:

Disappointed to see the Class 43 DVT is the old tooling with the non-close-coupling.

I think it might be the "new" tooling body though, as the opening cab door feature is now missing. Looks like you're getting the worst of both (old chassis, new body).

I know some aren't keen on opening doors, but I really hope Hornby don't start removing them on other diesels. Certain locos are often seen with doors open in real life, eg class 08, 56 and it's a nice feature to have if you want to use them. If fitted well you wouldn't even notice they open (eg the Bachmann 37/4).

I wish Hornby had spent more time improving the body. The cab looks awful. The model still has an annoying curve above the cab front, and also that nasty mould line. On 43013 the yellow roof should go below the rainstrip above the cab doors but I think Hornby have moulded the rainstrip too low. The cab windscreen still has those unsightly locating lugs at each side of the windscreen. The front headlights also looks very poorly fit. With Hornby producing a servo powered roof fan, it is a shame they didn't include this on 43013. I now wonder if they will include it on any dummy class 43s.

The price of the HST packs is now ridiculous. I really hope someone else produces a better 43. Accurascale....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I think it might be the "new" tooling body though, as the opening cab door feature is now missing. Looks like you're getting the worst of both (old chassis, new body).

I know some aren't keen on opening doors, but I really hope Hornby don't start removing them on other diesels. Certain locos are often seen with doors open in real life, eg class 08, 56 and it's a nice feature to have if you want to use them. If fitted well you wouldn't even notice they open (eg the Bachmann 37/4).

I wish Hornby had spent more time improving the body. The cab looks awful. The model still has an annoying curve above the cab front, and also that nasty mould line. On 43013 the yellow roof should go below the rainstrip above the cab doors but I think Hornby have moulded the rainstrip too low. The cab windscreen still has those unsightly locating lugs at each side of the windscreen. The front headlights also looks very poorly fit. With Hornby producing a servo powered roof fan, it is a shame they didn't include this on 43013. I now wonder if they will include it on any dummy class 43s.

The price of the HST packs is now ridiculous. I really hope someone else produces a better 43. Accurascale....

Or just run a blade around the door frame, cut it out and reglue it in the open position. You get your open door, we don't all pay an extra £20 or whatever for an oversized gap around it!! HSTs would rarely have run at speed with the doors open, it's just awful driving one over about 70mph like that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Or just run a blade around the door frame, cut it out and reglue it in the open position. You get your open door, we don't all pay an extra £20 or whatever for an oversized gap around it!! HSTs would rarely have run at speed with the doors open, it's just awful driving one over about 70mph like that.

I know running into Reading wouldnt be at over 70mph, but they used to get regularly shown during the Reading Festival tv coverage during less than exciting bands sets travelling past sometimes with both cab doors open,and this was even in the 00s.

but as much as opening doors add that little bit of extra detail,Im not fussed if they do drop them, Id make an exception for an 08, but especially as the more recent examples of doors seem to get stuck more often.

• 1 month later...

Has Hornby guaranteed these new to be released Mk4's and Mk4 DVTs will be free of the light bleed problems that plague the IC Swallow Mk3 DVT's, the LNER Azuma and the new IC Swallow Mk3 R4000X series of coaches (with aftermarket LED fittings)?

Anybody know inside Hornby to give me a heads up?

I am reluctant to order any of these given Hornby's QC on the above other models until I know for sure...> partic in the light shaded liveries like LNER...

thanks!

Edited by wappinghigh
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Has Hornby guaranteed these new to be released Mk4's and Mk4 DVTs will be free of the light bleed problems that plague the IC Swallow Mk3 DVT's, the LNER Azuma and the new IC Swallow Mk3 R4000X series of coaches (with aftermarket LED fittings)?

Anybody know inside Hornby to give me a heads up?

I am reluctant to order any of these given Hornby's QC on the above other models until I know for sure...> partic in the light shaded liveries like LNER...

thanks!

Hi

In the comments in the Hornby June Engine Shed, it was mentioned that 'Mk3 DVT has problems with light bleed, moulding mark on roof, poor fitting of cab doors and incorrect colour of windscreen surround'.

Hornby replied - 'I am aware of the Mk3 DVT issues and can assure you that steps have been taken to correct this on future runs of the Mk3 DVT and the new Mk4 DVT.'

So sounds promising, but I guess the proof is in the pudding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewSiding said:

Hornby replied - 'I am aware of the Mk3 DVT issues and can assure you that steps have been taken to correct this on future runs of the Mk3 DVT and the new Mk4 DVT.'

Yet since then other stuff has come through!

2 hours ago, NewSiding said:

Hi

In the comments in the Hornby June Engine Shed, it was mentioned that 'Mk3 DVT has problems with light bleed, moulding mark on roof, poor fitting of cab doors and incorrect colour of windscreen surround'.

sounds great, fix the issues after doing the production run and maybe in another 15 years we'll get a 'correct' Intercity Swallow Mk3 DVT

16 hours ago, GordonC said:

sounds great, fix the issues after doing the production run and maybe in another 15 years we'll get a 'correct' Intercity Swallow Mk3 DVT

Only 15....? Now that's what I call optimism!

Seriously though, it's really quite inexcusable that this latest batch has issues that the original batches of both IC Swallow and NR DVTs don't have. Failing of QC, pure and simple.

I remain hopeful for the Mark IVs....

Edited by scouse889

• 2 months later...
On 24/05/2022 at 16:35, The Black Prince said:

Just received notification one of my MK4 GNER coaches has landed at Hornby and is being processed. 

Same here - just coach K (FO), but all the rest are saying summer rather than Spring.