Hornby 2021 - Maunsell dining saloon thirds and composites

AY Mod

• AY Mod pinned this topic
  • RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Would anyone be able to shed any light as to what sort of trains the SR diner was used in compared to the 1st class diner previously released? Presumably never in the same train ?

Almost always in the same train as a Pair. Good one for your era maybe the Brighton Plymouth?

P

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Would anyone be able to shed any light as to what sort of trains the SR diner was used in compared to the 1st class diner previously released? Presumably never in the same train ?

These are the "runners" to go with the Kitchen Firsts previously released.

SR Dining portions normally consisted of two coaches.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm always learning! Thank you both! 

Edit: I think I got confused thinking the 3rd class diner had a kitchen aswell but I see it is similar to the open 3rd?

Edit 2:

I have a fictional Brighton-Portsmouth express that my H2 pulls =)

https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/1343153578458963973?s=19

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Here is chapter and verse, as best we know it, on the Bluebell Railway's sole surviving example of these (only) six vehicles:

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1365b.html

Best regards,

Martin

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

These, along with the Gangwayed Luggage Van, are my stars of the show for this year.

Unless I've missed something in the way things have been split up, Hornby's 2021 programme doesn't seem to contain much else that fits my interests.

Consequently, I'll be ordering a couple of delayed items from 2020 that I'd previously disregarded.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

Here is chapter and verse, as best we know it, on the Bluebell Railway's sole surviving example of these (only) six vehicles:

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1365b.html

Best regards,

Martin

Interesting. It is difficult to find good information about these and in particular what they were actually doing in the mid-1930s, even though I own two books on Southern carriages.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Forgive my ignorance again, what's the difference between the open third and the dining third... lamps and curtains ?

In Southern Railway terms, not a lot!

Thats why they used ordinary open 3rds (with 2+2 seating I hasten to add) for later catering setups.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Usually, 2+1 seating in catering vehicles, 2+2 in ordinary opens.

John

Given the later use of ordinary open 3rds that had a 2+2 setup as dining cars a I wouldn't be so sure these particular vehicles used 2+1 seating layouts.

Edit - the link to the one preserved one states that as built they had 64 seats - which has to mean 2+2 seating!

Its possible this was altered when converted to composite dining cars in the late 1940s however.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Given the later use of ordinary open 3rds that had a 2+2 setup as dining cars a I wouldn't be so sure these particular vehicles used 2+1 seating layouts.

In the Composite diners, it was 2+1 in First and 2+2 in Third, but I think that was a new layout that only dated from 1947. That's probably why Hornby only describe the BR ones as composites. Curtains only in the First Class end, too (see photo at beginning of thread).

Also, the running numbers Hornby quote for the SR-livery Dining Thirds appear to be those carried from new up to 1930 when they were reclassified as ordinary open thirds and renumbered into the 13xx series. [Source: King, P.102]

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Coaches built as dining thirds only had one lavatory whilst those built as open thirds had one at either end, on opposite sides. They therefore featured a small lavatory window on each side, a matching small window opposite that and one fewer saloon windows on each side.

However, there was a batch of Open Thirds with the posh windows as fitted to the dining cars (Diagram 2007).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Clarification
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But there was also a batch of Open Thirds with the posh windows as fitted to the dining cars (diagram 2007).

Actually two batches - to 1935 and 1936 styling ........ maybe Hornby will find these in their round tuit stash one day ( together with the '35 Brake Composite that they so nearly did with the Pull-Push set ).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The various re-designations of Dining Thirds to Open Thirds and vice-versa are something of a minefield, which takes a while to get one's head around to get period-correct.

That may be why Hornby didn't get the Dining Thirds out at the same time they released the Kitchen Firsts.:rolleyes:

John