Hornby 2021 - Maunsell dining saloon thirds and composites

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

Do we think that Hornby will produce a version of the Dining First in BR chocolate and cream livery?

:senile:

Martin

(7934 carried experimental chocolate and cream in 1953, as did Maunsell 10-set No.237)

The pseudo-GWR livery was actually applied in 1948, and lasted until 1953. It was said to be hard to keep clean, though why it would be any worse in that respect than crimson/cream slightly mystifies me.

Set 237 is referred to as an 8-set, presumably made up to ten by the addition of the RK and an open third "runner" though that is not stated explicitly. However there is also a reference to a loose composite and a loose third, being included. There are a total of eleven carriage numbers  listed which, assuming the RK did have an (unlisted) open partner, should mean the complete formation would have been twelve vehicles. If not, dining would (presumably) only been offered to first class travellers.

There were also a couple of thirds and a first experimentally finished in an approximation of LNWR "Plum and Spilt Milk" which seems not to have gone at all well.

Ref: Gould, Maunsell's SR Steam Carriage Stock, p.97.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The pseudo-GWR livery was actually applied in 1948, and lasted until 1953. It was said to be hard to keep clean, though why it would be any worse in that respect than crimson/cream slightly mystifies me.

Set 237 is referred to as an 8-set, presumably made up to ten by the addition of the RK and an open third "runner" though that is not stated explicitly. However there is also a reference to a loose composite and a loose third, being included. There are a total of eleven carriage numbers  listed which, assuming the RK did have an (unlisted) open partner, should mean the complete formation would have been twelve vehicles. If not, dining would (presumably) only been offered to first class travellers.

There were also a couple of thirds and a first experimentally finished in an approximation of LNWR "Plum and Spilt Milk" which seems not to have gone at all well.

Ref: Gould, Maunsell's SR Steam Carriage Stock, p.97.

John

My reference was the June 1953 Appendix to Carriage Working Notices from the files of the BRCoachingStock group on io.  The appendix shows set 237 containing 10 vehicles (the 'extras' obviously being included for the summer season) and 7934 in the choc/cream livery. I could not find an open vehicle in that livery but did notice the loose vehicles you mention in plum-and-spilt-milk.  I have a well thumbed copy of Gould's first edition (my most worn out book!) but did not use it in this case.  The appendix also gives 7934 as being based at Ramsgate to work the 7.20 a.m. to Cannon Street.

Best regards,

Martin

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

My reference was the June 1953 Appendix to Carriage Working Notices from the files of the BRCoachingStock group on io.  The appendix shows set 237 containing 10 vehicles (the 'extras' obviously being included for the summer season) and 7934 in the choc/cream livery. I could not find an open vehicle in that livery but did notice the loose vehicles you mention in plum-and-spilt-milk.  I have a well thumbed copy of Gould's first edition (my most worn out book!) but did not use it in this case.  The appendix also gives 7934 as being based at Ramsgate to work the 7.20 a.m. to Cannon Street.

Best regards,

Martin

Yes, and Gould cites the 5.15 pm as the return working.

Given the peak timings, perhaps only first class catering would have been provided?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Yes, and Gould cites the 5.15 pm as the return working.

Given the peak timings, perhaps only first class catering would have been provided?

John

Possibly, John.

An interesting question.  Perhaps the car served an unofficial 'club' of Ramsgate first class commuters? - Breakfast and a 'snorter' (if desired) in the morning and drinkies and dinner on the return.  :)

Martin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hornby has now changed the runningnumbers from 7864 and 7867 to new runingnumbers 1363 and 1366 according their new website.

But if they are renumberd to 1363 and 1366 they are no longer dining saloons but ordinary open thirds

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Hornby has now changed the runningnumbers from 7864 and 7867 to new runingnumbers 1363 and 1366 according their new website.

But if they are renumberd to 1363 and 1366 they are no longer dining saloons but ordinary open thirds

Which is exactly what happened to the prototypes c1930 (covered earlier in the thread, I think).

After that, all open thirds could be paired interchangeably with the RFs.

Hornby's change is therefore a bad move if you model the 1920s, but a good one if you model the 1930s.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi, I have seen the first CAD’s of the Maunsell Dining Saloons. At the moment i am intending to get the model of 7841 in BR Green, do you think Hornby may make a model of the Maunsell Kitchen/Buffet cars to go with it? Thanks Fred 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, I have seen the first CAD’s of the Maunsell Dining Saloons. At the moment i am intending to get the model of 7841 in BR Green, do you think Hornby may make a model of the Maunsell Kitchen/Buffet cars to go with it? Thanks Fred 

Hello Fredo

The 00 Poll Team has sent them 'chapter & verse' on why they should be made...and, I guess, one or two others have, too.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

...... but there was a great call for a 1936 Brake Composite ( etc ? ) after Hornby almost got there with the Driving Trailer - and nothing's happened !

Allow me to whet their appetite again. It's also Hornby's most accurate Maunsell coach to date.

P1340315.JPG

• Like 4

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 18/06/2021 at 18:43, Paul.Uni said:

The seven Maunsell carriages have gone from the coming soon page on the Hornby website and are listed as due 'Winter 2022' on the individual product pages.

Hornby updated the coming soon pages, all Maunsell are now stated for May 2022, so are many other items including all P2 and many Pecketts W4,  are now all for April / May 2022

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As previously mentioned this topic is complex and possibly difficult to fully digest when presented in  normal written form. I believe someone else remarked that a tabular presentation might help.

As I was deliberating on a purchase I decided to produce such a tabular effort to help me to determine what would be ok for my needs.

I must say you can read and re-read ad nauseum to get to the bottom of this and my two pennoth may have some errors.

I paid great attention to Mr King,s book and Mr Muzz,s comprehensive notes and it is  very useful  indeed to have those available.

In conclusion I have ordered S7998S and I am certain it will fit into my scheme of things.

It may be of use to others--see what you think.

regards,

EdHornby Kitchen Diner First cars and accompanying open coach.docx

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2021 at 14:36, Graham_Muz said:

The latest Hornby Engine Shed includes an update on the SR Maunsell Dining Saloon Engineering Samples.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/azuma-east-coast

Overall, this resulted in a very unique and satisfying design and research experience and a very satisfying final design.

Don't ask me why, but I get an impression that they're satisfied with the design.

• Funny 3