Hornby 2021 - Maunsell dining saloon thirds and composites

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

I thought this image of a Maunsell dining saloon coupled next to the loco

might be of interest. It is also paired with a buffet conversion of a former

restaurant car. Beyond that is a 1936 open third ( Yes please Hornby ).

241886609_6074990169241766_9218296306704220128_n.jpg

An extract from a great HC Casserley photo taken in June 1949 of 35021 on the up ACE 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 13/09/2021 at 07:58, truffy said:

Overall, this resulted in a very unique and satisfying design and research experience and a very satisfying final design.

“Very unique?” Is it unique or isn’t it? If there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, I’d say it’s unique, judging by Hornby’s current performance.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

In the latest Engine Shed blog Hornby tell us these will be arriving shortly. One thing they had failed to mention thus far with respect to the Olive versions is they will be totally bereft of any lining!

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/sr-maunsell-third-class-dining-saloon-1363-era-3-r40030?modal=-zoom

Now while I get that (1) It keeps costs down and (2) It matches the similarly unlined restaurant car released earlier, it is going to stick out like a sore thumb against all the other Maunsells released thus far (Dunkirk train pack excepted) all of which have carried the full lining.

Given the prototype photos* Hornby have been using so far feature full lining there is ample scope for modellers to be disappointed when the arrive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

In the latest Engine Shed blog Hornby tell us these will be arriving shortly. One thing they had failed to mention thus far with respect to the Olive versions is they will be totally bereft of any lining!

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/sr-maunsell-third-class-dining-saloon-1363-era-3-r40030?modal=-zoom

Now while I get that (1) It keeps costs down and (2) It matches the similarly unlined restaurant car released earlier, it is going to stick out like a sore thumb against all the other Maunsells released thus far (Dunkirk train pack excepted) all of which have carried the full lining.

Given the prototype photos* Hornby have been using so far feature full lining there is ample scope for modellers to be disappointed when the arrive.

Yep that was my impression too... the photo depicting the prototype has lining, then a photo of the model with none... now do I cancel or keep a £60 model which is wrong to put lining on it myself which will cost another £16-20 to buy and sort out... somewhat disappointed.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Yep that was my impression too... the photo depicting the prototype has lining, then a photo of the model with none... now do I cancel or keep a £60 model which is wrong to put lining on it myself which will cost another £16-20 to buy and sort out... somewhat disappointed.

I'm grudgingly getting one to go with my unlined restaurant car - but thats it.

If I hadn't already got the restaurant car then it wouldn't be purchased at all.

Hornby will be losing out on repeat purchases in future - as with the aforementioned restaurant car if they came lined I would be in the market for more than one.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

I'm grudgingly getting one to go with my unlined restaurant car - but thats it.

If I hadn't already got the restaurant car then it wouldn't be purchased at all.

Hornby will be losing out on repeat purchases in future - as with the aforementioned restaurant car if they came lined I would be in the market for more than one.

I have just sent them an email regarding this, as they claimed none of the restaurant cars were lined.... well guess what I found Hornby.... I mean £20 of lining transfers per carriage... I was always told when I was younger if you do a job... do it properly..... another manufacturer springs to mind when saying this after some discussions about errors on one of their models.
I understand keeping costs down... but then theirs cutting corners.

7 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Is it actually wrong without lining?

The real carriage was built in July 1927 and would have been lined and numbered in the 786x series.

In 1930 or shortly thereafter these carriages were regraded as ordinary open thirds and renumbered in a series containing 1363, presumably retaining their lining. Their duties were taken over by ordinary Maunsell open thirds or 'nondescript' saloons depending on traffic requirements.

Circa 1939, Maunsell carriages started to lose their lining on repaint.

Between 1938 and 1942 all the former dining thirds ran together in one set. 

They were later converted to run in wartime ambulance trains.

All above info from Mike King's book, An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches.

If the model has no lining it's service window is probably 1939-42.

The previously released olive green Restaurant First finished in unlined olive green seems to be based on a photo in Mr.King's book showing 7869 returning to Clapham Junction from overhaul at Eastleigh in March 1940.

The sad fact is that these carriages were only paired with Maunsell dining firsts between 1927-1930 and post 1947! Anywhere in between, you need an ordinary Maunsell open third! Although it is nice to see Hornby producing a model of one of these, one wonders why they actually did!

Regards,

Martin

2 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

The real carriage was built in July 1927 and would have been lined and numbered in the 786x series.

In 1930 or shortly thereafter these carriages were regraded as ordinary open thirds and renumbered in a series containing 1363, presumably retaining their lining. Their duties were taken over by ordinary Maunsell open thirds or 'nondescript' saloons depending on traffic requirements.

Circa 1939, Maunsell carriages started to lose their lining on repaint.

Between 1938 and 1942 all the former dining thirds ran together in one set. 

They were later converted to run in wartime ambulance trains.

All above info from Mike King's book, An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches.

If the model has no lining it's service window is probably 1939-42.

The previously released olive green Restaurant First finished in unlined olive green seems to be based on a photo in Mr.King's book showing 7869 returning to Clapham Junction from overhaul at Eastleigh in March 1940.

The sad fact is that these carriages were only paired with Maunsell dining firsts between 1927-1930 and post 1947! Anywhere in between, you need an ordinary Maunsell open third! Although it is nice to see Hornby producing a model of one of these, one wonders why they actually did!

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,
 When they show a photo of a lined Maunsell Dining carriage.... and then they show that... it's kind of false advertising for me... as it's not representative of what they are selling you, When I asked all those years ago.. will this be lined out, the answer was yes, I think there's two R30030 and 30A... but god knows, the information is vague 1927 and 1930 being mentioned when they were reclassified open thirds.
For me that sounds early on rather than later... Oh well more money having to be spent 

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, MartinTrucks said:

I think you miss the point, nobody is saying that they didn’t run without lining, it’s just that as the majority of Maunsell coaches released before by Hornby are lined, this new one is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

The original announcement Andy showed on page 1 of this topic was third class dining saloon numbers 7864 and7867

with an picture of the coach from Mike King.

In Januari 2021 Hornby changed this on their site to third open 1363 and 1366 still with an picture of the original lined.

And now they are coming unlined, you cannot depent on Hornby anymore because they changed their announcements over the time.

I'm very dissapointed for the second time , the first time with the restaurant car unlined and now this one.

I have over 80 lined SR Maunsell coaches and expected Hornby would extent this range with lined coaches, but no again plain green.

Luckely I have a few of the open third from the other diagram they produced Lined first and second batch.

This again dissapoint me.

I'm buying more and more other makes they deliver what they  announce.

I'm also very disappointed.

The restaurant car I can accept as a one off (though was looking to do a body-swap if they produced a batch 2 kitchen car in lined livery), as they never actually advised it was linked. However the dining/full thirds is really not on as the prototype pictures at time of announcement showed it in lined livery with white roof. No excuse for not lining this, and no way they can say there is no evidence they were lined... Hornby themselves published this evidence.

Haven't pre-ordered.... will now think long and hard.

Really disappointing

• Agree 1

On 04/04/2022 at 22:48, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Hi Martin,
 When they show a photo of a lined Maunsell Dining carriage.... and then they show that... it's kind of false advertising for me... as it's not representative of what they are selling you, When I asked all those years ago.. will this be lined out, the answer was yes, I think there's two R30030 and 30A... but god knows, the information is vague 1927 and 1930 being mentioned when they were reclassified open thirds.
For me that sounds early on rather than later... Oh well more money having to be spent 

They (as Compo Saloons) never ran with Restaurant Firsts after 1947, either - they always ran with four Restaurant Buffets converted from RFs in 1947!

Chris KT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, chris45lsw said:

They (as Compo Saloons) never ran with Restaurant Firsts after 1947, either - they always ran with four Restaurant Buffets converted from RFs in 1947!

Chris KT

Chris,

You are correct.  I should have qualified my statement with, 'and then, as compo saloon conversions'.

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

On 04/04/2022 at 22:48, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Hi Martin,

Matt,

I see where you are coming from.  My faith in Hornby was finally shattered after they produced the ex-LSWR goods brake in that bauxite colour!  Sadly, they are not the only manufacturer to make livery cock-ups.  However I do detect a 'we know best' attitude reminiscent of Tri-ang when it was run by the Lines family!

Best regards,

Martin 

• Like 1

Looks like the dining thirds and dining composites are imminent. I was asked last week to confirm my order with Kernow for the dining composites as they were due shortly. I have now had funds requested from my card. Also due is the Maunsell open second.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for being vague as I am in Covid recovery (hopefully) and my Brain Cell is fogged considerably.

The Composite Diner! Was it ever going to be released  in BR Green; I see ads for ones in Blood and Custard?

If so, I'm confused as to release dates and just have not got the energy to plough trough this thread, so sorry.

Phil 

• Friendly/supportive 1