Digitrax DT602 radio throttle

norman

I've heard rumours about conflicts with mobile phones in the UK and possible clashes with other systems at shows and exhibitions.

But does anyone here have any first had experience/knowledge of the use of the DT602 please?

The youtube reviews are good but do not address these radio wave "compatibility" issues.

Nobody will have show/exhibition experience to report.  The DT602 came out after Covid started.  

The Digitrax Duplex radio system uses the same frequencies as WiFi on phones(*).  So the risks of swamping by the sheer amount of radio noise on those frequencies at the larger model railway shows exists.   

The DT602D can be plugged into a LocoNet socket, and thus avoid the radio link.  I would include enough LocoNet sockets around the layout for throttles to physically connect if the radio noise showed it to be necessary. 

(* same frequencies, but different protocol.  So WiFi/Duplex don't share the same radio devices to connect to a layout).  

- Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the advice. 

We are considering buying a 602 for several reasons including use by members who are disabled and wheel chair bound operating at the front of the layout and a DT602 would seem to be really useful for this.  I wonder if the 602 has been used on trial in North America.

The swamping you are referring to I assume would affect any WiFi device not just Digitrax like Roco Fleishman Z21 and the new Lenz radio throttle if it ever does emerge.

Norman

You may also want to look at the new UT6 / UT6D from Digitrax, replacing the venerable UT4 small throttle.    

Yes, the radio stuff is basically the same for any system which uses the "WiFi" 2.4Ghz frequencies, which covers all the systems you mention, and several others.  

Just received my new 602dt today. Plugged it in and nothing. 14 out of my 20 locos refused to move. Tried to reset the decoders but nothing.  The good news is that the other 6 run fine. Resetting the decoders did not work and I am at a lost as to what has happened. I expect the odd decoder to fail once in a while but not 14 at once, most of which are sound chips. 

Edited by simonbaker1966