Helmsdale on the Far North Line

Dunmar

Hi,

Exactly!!! I had the same problem with Glenfinnan which started out as a circular layout and because I didn't have enough single line running to give the right effect it ended up with a 15ft scenic section either side, plus a 5ft fiddle yard.

I think because I'm only going to model the station , the line from Inverness will appear from the scenic break under the road bridge.

At the other end I intend to make the scenic break in the form of overgrown trees and bushes, thats the plan at the moment, unless I come up with something else for the Wick end.

As I have said it will be reduced some what in length, but hopefully still believeable!

Bill.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Firstly I must apologise for my non-appearance of late. However, after giving it some serious thought I have decided not to continue with Helmsdale. In simple terms, it is going to result in another large layout, approx 25ft long, which I do not have the space to both operate and accommodate. My plan was to advertise Glenfinnan but due to the ongoing situation that did not happen, but that now has become a priority.

I haven't given up on the Far North Line as I am now looking at Wick as an alternative ! Can I just thank those of  you that have helped me out with the various bits of info which I truly appreciate and that I shall still be on the lookout for some of the same related to the area around Wick and Thurso.

I will leave this thread here meantime and will  remove it in due course, the heading of " Looks Like Wick " will appear in the Layout Topics very soon.

Regards,Bill.

Ah that’s a shame Bill. I’m sure it would of been another fantastic layout. 
Best of luck with Wick though and I will look forward to following its progress.

Andy 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that, but it does take up a lot of space to do the whole station. As an alternative ,have you thought about The Mound? A what if that the Dornoch branch survived, The Mound is compact, on a curve and with convenient bridge at one end and can vanish behind trees at the other. If you are planning a terminus, Thurso offers a bit more - it is far more compact than Wick and retained its goods yard for decades, and had passing freight as well whereas Wick sprawled, had all its yard lifted and has had no freight since the early eighties.

On 15/03/2021 at 23:07, Ben Alder said:

Sorry to hear that, but it does take up a lot of space to do the whole station. As an alternative ,have you thought about The Mound? A what if that the Dornoch branch survived, The Mound is compact, on a curve and with convenient bridge at one end and can vanish behind trees at the other. If you are planning a terminus, Thurso offers a bit more - it is far more compact than Wick and retained its goods yard for decades, and had passing freight as well whereas Wick sprawled, had all its yard lifted and has had no freight since the early eighties.

Hi,

Wish you hadn't said all that! Kinda thought that Wick had that look of simplicity about it, hence the reason for choosing it over Thurso. As the thread was going to be titled Looks like Wick , thought I might get away with some details such as keeping the signal box, semiphores and even dropping in a goods shed  just for the hell of it. I would be exhibiting the layout but I want to play with it at home as well. Is that wrong of me ?

Bill.

Also dissappointed that Helmsdale is not proceeding but I fully understand your concerns. I was surprised how much space my Forsinard station takes. Having a shed 24 feet in length I thought that would be more than enough but in reality it just about fits allowing trains of a maximum 6 mk 1`s  and curves of a reasonable radius at either end of the station. 

In addition to Ben Alder`s points above regarding Thurso it has a very convenient bridge at the station entrance which is perfect for a scenic break whereas Wick just continues into open countryside.  

Edited by class26
  • Like 2

Hi,

Just to let everyone know here that Glenfinnan has found a new home and where better than the Glenfinnan Museum on the West Highland Line. The Friends might even consider taking it out to exhibitions. Finally, I will be able to sleep at night. A fitting end.

Bill.

• Like 3

Hi,

That's the plan. I couldn't be more delighted that it's  remaining here. The new owners are housing it in a railway carriage, not sure what the details are yet.

I do hope they find time to take it out on the road as well.

Cheers, Bill.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Apologies for my absence of late, but I have been busy gathering details for my forthcoming project - YES!!! FINALLY!!! 

Glenfinnan will be moving out in a couple of weeks and I have been busy giving the boards  a coat of grey undercoat as well as 4 rolls of 1/8th cork sheet. Have finally got hold of my Code 75 pointwork  to go with my  C + L Finescale track. ( sorry I didn't go for the Bullhead track option, but opted for the 2 Accurascale 37's and the Heljan 25, with the option on another! Have opted for the Cobalt point motors, so loads of switches and wiring, AGAIN!!! GRRRRrrr!!!!.  Oh! yes! I did say The Far North Line. But, you will have to wait and see what I have planned - I will post it in due course in the Layout Topics. It will have a Wick style station, small loco servicing shed, timber loading area,  and a small fuel depot. All in 10ft. !!! I will also  reveal the name!

Bill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Bell said:

Good luck with the new plan Bill. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Cheers

David

Thanks David, will be following this one through !

Bill.

• Friendly/supportive 1