Rubber/Nitrile belts for belt drive mechanisms

MGR Hooper!

Hey,

I am looking for a supplier for rubber/nitrile belts for quite a few HO/OO scale mechanisms that I have that use a belt drive. I've added a 3D rendering of the size of belts that I need, and I am listing dimensions of the belt these mechanisms currently use:-
- Outer diameter = 9.0mm
- Inner diameter = 8.2mm
- Thickness of the belt = 0.8mm (but I would prefer a 1.0mm thick belt)

Untitled.jpg.45b45f404e06086fc639a6281c2917fe.jpg

Sorry I cannot posts actual pics of the belts I have as they aren't with me right now, hence the 3D CAD drawing of them.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be most greatful.

TIA

I don't know if this would work but you might be able to cast them yourself in silicone (RTV). I use silicone tube to make constant velocity joints and it seems to stand-up quite well. It might also be possible to cast them in polyurethane which might last a bit longer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Having had a belt fail some years ago on an old Jouef model, I would suggest that you look to find if there is a traction tyre that is about the same size.   Worked for me and going strong some 30 years later (touch wood)

I will try these first as Peter's Spares has some 7.5mm traction tyres.

17 hours ago, Izzy said:

Nigel Lawton supplies chloroprene drive belts in a range of sizes which can be stretched up to 10%. Just 0.6x0.6mm cross section but two together might work.

Izzy

Thanks Izzy, will keep this as plan B for now.

12 hours ago, billbedford said:

Thank you so much. I will definitely consider this for bulk purchases in future.

On 17/12/2020 at 09:50, Andy Hayter said:

Having had a belt fail some years ago on an old Jouef model, I would suggest that you look to find if there is a traction tyre that is about the same size.   Worked for me and going strong some 30 years later (touch wood)

I also used traction tyres to replace the belts on Jouef mechanisms. Can't comment on life expectancy as I sold the locos on ASAP.  O rings really have the wrong as in circular section for a drive belt.

Edited by DavidCBroad
Typo
  • Agree 1