Class 33 Diesels.

Paul_C

Hi All,

I'm modelling the Sheerness branch line as per 1959/60 and would like to get a true to life running number for a class 33 diesel. So, if anyone can give me a few suggestions to choose from I would be most grateful. I know that they didn't venture onto the Island until early 1960 when the new KF bridge opened as the old bridge couldn't take them. I think Q class hauled the freight until the new bridge was ready. 

Paul C. 

Kent Rail suggests something :

On Monday 22nd June 1981, No. 33056 ''The Burma Star'' is seen approaching Rochester at 11:12, with Sheerness Steel scrap wagon No. PR3000. This is possibly a Willesden to Sheerness working.

https://www.kentrail.org.uk/class_33.htm

Based at Hither Green?

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=6574&loco=6574

More Class 33 based at Hither Green are listed here:

https://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=265

Hither Green allocated locos would be most likely candidates.

Have a search on Flickr, searching 'Hither Green 1960' brought up some photos,

including a depot photo March 1960 with nice clean D6503 and D6505 in view,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

I'm saying this with everything crossed 'cos the're very old memories but......I think the "new" bridge in the '60s was Queensferry, the old "rolling" bridge was Kingsferry and as C class 0-6-0s handled the passenger traffic with H class tanks, they would probably have handled the freight.I don't think the Q class was a Kentish beast.

Best wishes and stay safe

Tim

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Tim Chambers said:

I'm saying this with everything crossed 'cos the're very old memories but......I think the "new" bridge in the '60s was Queensferry, the old "rolling" bridge was Kingsferry and as C class 0-6-0s handled the passenger traffic with H class tanks, they would probably have handled the freight.I don't think the Q class was a Kentish beast.

I think you'll find that they were both called Kingsferry. H and C Class were certainly 'favourites', according to my trainspotting classmates, in the late 50s and very early 60s. I'd expect (guesswork!) that any of the earliest batch of 33s would be likely candidates. Is there any evidence that the borrowed 24s were there, before the delivery of 33s?

Wow,

You guys have been working overtime so thank you for a fantastic response. (Tim) The new bridge is called Kingsferry as was the previous one but they were going to entitle the 1960 opening as Queensferry but for some reason that idea fell out of the sky. C and H Class certainly hauled most of the passenger services along with Ivatt 2MTs but Q class did do some of the freight runs as I have it from a reliable source who worked out of the Gillingham shed at the time.

I've just bought a Heljan 33 showing a number of D6504 so reading your posts above I'm guessing that this number would have been there as well at that time. Thanks again for all your interesting comments.

This shows it a million miles from being finished (lots of cosmetics to do) but it does lift electronically. The photos are not brilliant but will give you an idea.

Paul C.

DSCF3233.JPG

DSCF2508.JPG

DSCF2499.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Nice job on the bridge. 

How far Kemsley/Queenborough way is the layout stretching? For many years there was an 08 operating or parked up between Queenborough and Sheerness to give you further variety, and you could add a stretch of the Bowater's Narrow Gauge  - Ridham dock was pretty close to Swale.

Paul,

I love your model of Kingsferry Bridge, but you have missed the buffers that cushion the span as it lands. You could add the tunnel under the baseboard too! Looks great, I used to manage the maintenance of the bridge until I took early retirement.

Good luck.