Locomotion models announce exclusive 'Green Arrow' models of the Bachmann V2

AY Mod

• Moderators

NEW OO V2 CLASS VERSIONS ANNOUNCED

The partnership of Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield has today (18th December 2020) announced that they have commissioned four versions of the LNER V2 Class 2-6-2 locomotives from Bachmann Europe Plc. Two models of ‘Green Arrow’ are being produced for Locomotion Models with two more with Durham and Yorkshire connections are being produced for Rails of Sheffield.

The Prototype
The Gresley V2 Class 2-6-2 locomotives were designed for mixed traffic use and were designed during 1935 going through various modifications before construction of the first five locomotives commenced in 1936. 184 V2 Class locomotives were built in eleven batches between 1936 and 1944 of which eight were named. They were allocated mainly to depots along the East Coast Main Line between London and Aberdeen and also on the former Great Central main line. They were used for fast freight trains and also for passenger workings particularly during World War 2, where they put in some impressive performances often on workings replacing Gresley pacific classes.

Following the cessation of hostilities, the track on the ECML was very run down and the first of several derailments took place requiring the replacement of the front bogie truck which was undertaken on all members of the class. Withdrawals commenced in February 1962 and by December 1966 the final locomotive had been taken out of service. The first locomotive to enter traffic ‘Green Arrow’ was withdrawn from Kings Cross shed in August 1962 and was subsequently preserved becoming a member of the National Collection. It is currently on display at Locomotion, Shildon.

The model
The OO Scale model has been developed for Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield by Bachmann Europe Plc and utilises the all new tooling which has been developed by the company. A 21 pin decoder socket is mounted in the locomotive and the model is provided with a pre fitted speaker in the tender for ease of Digital Sound installation. The locomotive and tender have a custom designed loco to tender interconnection giving a through electrical connection.

The model comes with a realistic fire-box flicker, sprung buffers, etched nameplates and NEM coupling pockets. All models are fitted with 5 pole motors.

Four exclusive edition locomotives are being produced as follows:

For Locomotion Models

LNER Green Arrow.jpg

35-204NRM No. 4771 ‘Green Arrow’ in LNER green livery

BR Green Arrow.jpg

35-205NRM No. 60800 ‘Green Arrow’ in BR green livery

For Rails of Sheffield
Both locomotives chosen by Rails Of Sheffield have connections to the Durham and Yorkshire areas.

4843 LNER livery.jpg

35-201Z No. 4843 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in LNER livery.

This locomotive was built in April 1939 at Doncaster. It was named the following month, it continued in traffic as BR No. 60872 until withdrawal in September 1963. The name was transferred to Deltic Class locomotive (later Class 55) Co-Co diesel No. D9002 on 4th April 1963 during a ceremony at York station.

60964 BR livery.jpg

35-203Z No. 60964 ‘Durham Light Infantry’ in BR green livery with late crest.
This locomotive was built at Darlington in January 1943. It was named in April 1958 and was withdrawn from service in May 1965. The name was transferred to Deltic Class locomotive (later Class 55) Co-Co diesel No. D9017 on 29th October 1963 during a ceremony at Durham station.

The recommended retail price of each model is £229.95.

DCC SOUND options are also available for each model for £329.95 which can be pre-ordered for a £30 deposit by clicking on the DCC SOUND button on the respective websites.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately. (some might say unfortunately - it's my wallet that says fortunately) their route availability over the WR was somewhat restricted but it looks to be a very nicely done model and is a credit to everyone involved.  Bachmann are to be congratulated on the amount of detail variation they have been able to achieve.

• Agree 6

Two observations:

1. There is a notable bowing ('ski jump') on the front running plate of these samples. Can it be ensured this is corrected before production (especially at £230/model!)

2. Will there be a spedometer drive fitted on the LNER version? (and I think the BR version had it for a while before it was repainted to apple green)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could someone please inform me which one of these would be suitable for 70s and 80s railtour.

Im thinking the lner version and only thing i can see different to pictures ive found are the overhead warning flashes.

Thanks.

Garry

Edit

Im referring to Green Arrow

Edited by Garry D100

3 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Could someone please inform me which one of these would be suitable for 70s and 80s railtour.

Im thinking the lner version and only thing i can see different to pictures ive found are the overhead warning flashes.

Thanks.

Garry

Yes the LNER version, but as you say, you will need to remove the OHL flashes....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say "Nothing in it for me"..... but then remembered the spring of 1953 when V2's came to the rescue of the Western Division of the Southern when the Bulleids were temporarily withdraw for axle problems.....

• Round of applause 1

20 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Two observations:

1. There is a notable bowing ('ski jump') on the front running plate of these samples. Can it be ensured this is corrected before production (especially at £230/model!)

2. Will there be a spedometer drive fitted on the LNER version? (and I think the BR version had it for a while before it was repainted to apple green)

In reply to myself, it appears the main running plate is a little bowed upwards, possibly by the motion bracket, and this is pushing the rear end of the front running plate up, leading to the ski slope look. Either way, there is a slight interface issue which will need to be sorted by Bachmann... Please.!

• Like 1

Except for the hideous silver motion gear and wheel rims, that looks like a cracking model. I'm sure a lot of people are going to be happy.

The silver on the wheel rims and motion gear makes it look extremely crude and chunky, when it isn't so in reality. Looks Wrenn like. But the others look far better without that silver on it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Except for the hideous silver motion gear and wheel rims, that looks like a cracking model. I'm sure a lot of people are going to be happy.

The silver on the wheel rims and motion gear makes it look extremely crude and chunky, when it isn't so in reality. Looks Wrenn like. But the others look far better without that silver on it.

I mean the silver is reprasentative of Green Arrow when outshopped after last overhaul. You could proably tone it down a little, but it is prototypical

v2_doncaster1.jpg

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Yeah see what you mean must be purely optical but now you have mentioned it I home in on them straight away ....................:this:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

TBH I have to agree. Sadly the valve gear and coupling rods look heavy and overscale. Weathering will tone this down but I was under the impression that it was a retool from the rails up. Valve gear looks lifted from earlier versions. I hold my hands up and do recognise that this is a pre-production  model.

Overall it does look good.

Price is way up there though!

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I mean the silver is reprasentative of Green Arrow when outshopped after last overhaul. You could proably tone it down a little, but it is prototypical

v2_doncaster1.jpg

I understand that, just sharing my observations. I know it is prototypical, but it just stands out  like a sore thumb especially since certain parts need to be beefed up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, davidw said:

TBH I have to agree. Sadly the valve gear and coupling rods look heavy and overscale. Weathering will tone this down but I was under the impression that it was a retool from the rails up. Valve gear looks lifted from earlier versions. I hold my hands up and do recognise that this is a pre-production  model.

Overall it does look good.

Price is way up there though!

'Robust' valve gear is Bachmanns house style though. Agree its a little heavy looking but to my eye it looks more what it is  - a mechanical part designed to do a days work. Much prefer the Bachmann approach to the tinny and fragile looking (and fragile in use!) Hornby version. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, they look great but have you considered one of 60800 based on its BR working condition in the 50’s and 60’s? Thanks Fred 

From previous experience of these NRM models you'll probably get it in that condition eventually. Either in another run or as a main range model. But you might have to wait a while.

Jason

Hopefully the slight ski jump is corrected before production. I hope they notice from the livery sample that 60800's LH cab side number is a little wonky too.

Normally with something like this I'd have rose tinted specs on (which I do to some extent) but looking at the cost it really does have to be right.

EDIT: I've raised the issues that can be seen with Locomotion via their email form. I'll update when I get a response.

Edited by 60800