Hornby Class 60 bogies - top retaining clip

Putting this message up in case someone can help out.

The Hornby Class 60 bogie tower has a clip on the top.

It retains the worm gear in place and also stops the bogie from falling out the chassis.

I have been waiting two years for spare parts but there seems to be no chance of these ever arriving from China

If any member has scrapped a Class 60 and has this clip, or even a complete spare bogie - please send a message

Thanks!

Simon K from Hornby is aware of the general (lack of) spares situation - he mentioned it on the latest Q&A video, so hopefully availability will improve in future.

In the meantime. have you tried phoning Hornby?  They are always helpful, and may just have one knocking around somewhere! 

Edit:  Also maybe put your request on the "wanted" thread.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional wording

Hello there,

I have a spare class 50 bogie gear retaining clip which I am sure will fit the class 60 as I doubt they will make them different for all loco,s, I guess a standard fitting.

My problem is class 60 complete bogies having bought 3 secondhand the bar joining the sideframes at the front was smashed I managed to get spare bogies but guess what, they had no sideframes and there is no part number on the service sheet, in that case said Hornby we can not help you!

Hi the bogie retaining cl

On 18/12/2020 at 23:57, wardonian said:

Hello there,

I have a spare class 50 bogie gear retaining clip which I am sure will fit the class 60 as I doubt they will make them different for all loco,s, I guess a standard fitting.

My problem is class 60 complete bogies having bought 3 secondhand the bar joining the sideframes at the front was smashed I managed to get spare bogies but guess what, they had no sideframes and there is no part number on the service sheet, in that case said Hornby we can not help you!

Unfortunately they ARE different. Due to lack of supply PeterSpares offered a Class 31 clip to try out, it is about 1.5 mm too narrow, as a consequence of which it eventually falls off, the worm gear comes loose and the bogie falls out when you pick it up :(

However the Class 50 bogie clip does look a lot closer in design..

On 18/12/2020 at 16:47, cravensdmufan said:

Simon K from Hornby is aware of the general (lack of) spares situation - he mentioned it on the latest Q&A video, so hopefully availability will improve in future.

In the meantime. have you tried phoning Hornby?  They are always helpful, and may just have one knocking around somewhere! 

Edit:  Also maybe put your request on the "wanted" thread.

Thanks for the suggestion - yes I did have a pleasant chat with their Service department - unfortunately no spares.

There is a new batch of Class 60's in the pipeline and there will be spares to come with it.. 

• Like 1

On 18/12/2020 at 16:38, Chrisr40 said:

Could you get a 3d print ? Just a daft idea

Chris

I have a 3D printer and have successfully made up spares that I was able to draw in Sketch up, so I have thought about it and may give it a go

I don't have high expectations due to the limitations of printing from filament and also with hollow objects you need supports, which compromise the smoothness of surfaces

It would certainly save time to if I could find any rogue clips somewhere out there in the community!

• Like 1