Best station valancing?

An appeal to the collective wisdom.

My last attempt to print and then cut a station valance ended up looking like something our puppy had just chewed.

Has anyone found a good way to cut all the tiny fiddly bits?

Or should I just give-up and buy plastic ones, like these?

https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/brands/Ratio/516

Machine cut it.

I usually work with styrene & 3d printing window frames has been a game changer for me. Cutting card will use a different machines but the similarity is that they are  they are computer driven, so allow consistency.

I have seen discussions for such machines on this forum so I am sure there is lots of information & opinions to look through.

The drawback is that you need to design things on a computer, which may or may not appeal to you. It didn't really appeal to me at first because it doesn't feel like real modelling so I still use a rule & scalpel where possible.

• RMweb Gold

If you can design it on a pc, then it is hugely easier. Most drawing packag3s can do this very easily. Then print out and stick onto card. I then cut all along the lower edge, which then means all i then have to do is to nick out the "vees" with a sharp blade. I don't do find it too difficult. The key is having the accurate template to begin with.

Anyone that wants a specific Valance, Intentio (through their Facebook page) are offering to design and laser cut it for you (for no extra cost over a standard Valance of which they already have a number), I wanted a specific one for my (under build) Widford layout and they had it designed and cut within an hour of suggestion.  No connection other than a satisfied customer.

Widford Valance.jpg

Edited by wamwig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/12/2020 at 08:17, wamwig said:

Anyone that wants a specific Valance, Intentio (through their Facebook page) are offering to design and laser cut it for you (for no extra cost over a standard Valance of which they already have a number), I wanted a specific one for my (under build) Widford layout and they had it designed and cut within an hour of suggestion.  No connection other than a satisfied customer.

Widford Valance.jpg

The link to the Intentio website is www.intentio.shop  

• Like 2

a bit off topic 

but I wonder why they originally used 'fancy' valancing anyway?

some plane wooden boards would seem to do the job just as well

and would have been cheaper.

what did the valancing achieve for the 12 inch to the foot railways.

Happy new year everyone.

mike j

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, mikejames said:

a bit off topic 

but I wonder why they originally used 'fancy' valancing anyway?

some plane wooden boards would seem to do the job just as well

and would have been cheaper.

what did the valancing achieve for the 12 inch to the foot railways.

Happy new year everyone.

mike j

All the various companies were a. trying to outdo each other and b. wanted a distinct style

This is especially true in Victorian times, not just the rail companies look at all the little details on period Victorian homes, the tiny details that were added almost everywhere from distinctive Barge Boards and Chimney Pots, to ceiling rose details and even little corbels in hallways that performed no structural function just added decoration, even the cheapest terraced houses had these kind of details added.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

It gives a series of consistant 'drip points' along the length of the valance. Without it, rainwater would follw any slightest departure from the horizontal along the lower edge to run off as a stream in one place. On slope ended valances this would of course mean running back to drip down the building walls.

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Informative/Useful 4