“Oh-oo-oh you’re in the Army now…”

• RMweb Premium

Great modelling you've caught the "feel" right..

Rivet counter hat on.. nice collection of landrovers but

Line of series 1 landrovers in as new condition produced  1948 _1957 unlikely to be around with..

A 101FC  landrover produced 1976- 78

A series 3 lightweight landrover produced 72-84

Unless someone's been hiding some in stores somewhere..

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Thank you.

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Line of series 1 landrovers in as new condition produced  1948 _1957 unlikely to be around with..

Oops! As is obvious, Land Rovers aren't my sphere of knowledge beyond "that one looks good" when Oxford release  a model. But, a bus on someone's layout  will get my attention, and a jumble similar to my Land Rover faux pas, would certainly raise an eyebrow. 

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Haven't you heard? The strategic Reserve has a whole load of 80-inch Land Rovers, as well as all those 8Fs.

• Funny 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2020 at 12:51, KeithMacdonald said:

Any candidates for the best track plans for Ludgershall?

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply, but using mapping data I have available through work I have managed to come up with this track plan, as the railway was in 2014.

A small amount of trackwork had already been lifted at the northern warehouse complex by then, but the routes were still visible. The red item towards the southern edge of the site is a gantry crane. I'm a little unsure about the connecting curve north of the main road; it looks as if it might have been double track, but doesn't seem to be by 2014. Anyway, I hope this is of use.

Ludgershall.jpg.6c9eda8d0e5a57e6e3c40494f93bc0ef.jpg

Edited by HillsideDepot
Photos re-instated after Dediserve debacle
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 26/12/2020 at 20:22, Ruston said:

Haven't you heard? The strategic Reserve has a whole load of 80-inch Land Rovers, as well as all those 8Fs.

Allegedly, they are conveniently close to Ludgershall, on the same Midland and South Western Junction Railway. Just a few miles north, in the tunnel between Savernack and Marlborough.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/12/2020 at 11:52, HillsideDepot said:

One of the noticeable aspects of the RAF Chilmark site is (was) well kept grass alongside the line; mown but not manicured. The TeleRail video mentions the wildlife on site, so a sprinkling of white and yellow flock added a few daisies and buttercups. 

Hi Adrian

When I was posted to Marchwood we had New Forest ponies on the land between the docks and the junction with the Fawley branch. On the way to work and morning parade we witnessed a foal being born. We were late for parade, but instead of a rollocking the Sergeant-Major asked where and he went off to see the new born.

His replacement was a bit of a keen soldier, not something normally associated with Marchwood in those days. He would have us on the rifle range. The butts over looked the exchange sidings with BR, and every time a train would turn up so we had to stop shooting. In his temper he shouted "Doesn't any one check to see if there are trains due?" The clerk who worked in the sergeant-major's office and booked the range said in a very quite voice so only those near could hear "Yes Sir, I do."

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

Hi Adrian, 

Just found your wonderful micro layout. Those Series 3 landrovers bring back so many memories when i worked with them 40 years ago. 

Can I ask what size is the layout and use some of your ideas and track plan please?

Johna

• RMweb Premium

Hi Johna,

the layout is 1 foot x 2 foot and is intended to work with my 1 foot x 2 foot universal fiddle table, not that I've done any work on adapting the table to connect to this particular micro yet. 

This bird's eye shot should help with seeing where the various elements are in relation to each other.

DSCN3267b.jpg.2506d31d7de48eaf15f040debbf9d005.jpg

By all means use whatever you can from the layout as inspiration; I'm pleased it is of interest.

Edited by HillsideDepot
Photos re-instated after Dediserve debacle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

Hi Johna,

the layout is 1 foot x 2 foot and is intended to work with my 1 foot x 2 foot universal fiddle table, not that I've done any work on adapting the table to connect to this particular micro yet. 

This bird's eye shot should help with seeing where the various elements are in relation to each other.
DSCN3267b.jpg.033225c89f98003583cda9c27356304a.jpg

By all means use whatever you can from the layout as inspiration; I'm pleased it is of interest.

Adrian 

Thanks for your reply and the measurements. Its a cracking layout. 

Johna

• Thanks 1