Accuraloads, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, BR Blue said:

I ordered some for my PTAs and PFAs. They do look good.

The steel coils will also prove useful.

me too, plus HUOs.

I've previously ordered the steel coils from Rails, with the Cavalex BBAs in mind.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All this talk of the Liffey water and the Guiness nectar, brought me back to the last time the wife and I were in Ireland, visiting family in Tralee and Limerick. We had a day out in Dublin, travelled their by train from Limerick. At the end of a lovely day, we walked back slowly to the rail station, along the bank of the Liffey, past the Guiness brewery, foregoing the tour. We followed pedestrian signs for 'Railway Station' which brought us to Connolly station, problem was we needed Heuston station, who knew there were two main line terminii in Dublin, yours truly didn't, so a very fast route march took place, as we had to change to a branch line at Limerick Junction.

• Friendly/supportive 1

If it's of use, iron ore comes in other colours apart from brick-red. Here's a link to an aerial view of the stock-piles at TATA Port Talbot:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Abbey+Works,+Margam,+Port+Talbot+SA13+2PH/@51.5776254,-3.7911922,637m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x486e66780e2b2e2b:0xcaa61108f97c51c9!8m2!3d51.5402337!4d-3.7431075?hl=en

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, rembrow said:

All this talk of the Liffey water and the Guiness nectar, brought me back to the last time the wife and I were in Ireland, visiting family in Tralee and Limerick. We had a day out in Dublin, travelled their by train from Limerick. At the end of a lovely day, we walked back slowly to the rail station, along the bank of the Liffey, past the Guiness brewery, foregoing the tour. We followed pedestrian signs for 'Railway Station' which brought us to Connolly station, problem was we needed Heuston station, who knew there were two main line terminii in Dublin, yours truly didn't, so a very fast route march took place, as we had to change to a branch line at Limerick Junction.

You are not the only one confused by Dublin - my wife is from Belfast and in 1995 & 2000 we drove there for family visits via Fishguard/ Rosslare. Both times we headed North through Dublin without problem - both times we got lost in Dublin on the way back!! The first time we ended up turning left somewhere and heading for Dun L..........the other port (I won't embarrass myself by attempting to spell it!) and the second time we found ourselves crossing the Liffey via the same bridge we'd crossed in the same direction about 40 minutes earlier!! Eventually we found the N11.........and proceeded along it in the wrong direction! :stop:It was just as well we'd allowed lots of time to reach Rosslare.......

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

You are not the only one confused by Dublin - my wife is from Belfast and in 1995 & 2000 we drove there for family visits via Fishguard/ Rosslare. Both times we headed North through Dublin without problem - both times we got lost in Dublin on the way back!! The first time we ended up turning left somewhere and heading for Dun L..........the other port (I won't embarrass myself by attempting to spell it!) and the second time we found ourselves crossing the Liffey via the same bridge we'd crossed in the same direction about 40 minutes earlier!! Eventually we found the N11.........and proceeded along it in the wrong direction! :stop:It was just as well we'd allowed lots of time to reach Rosslare.......

Its Dun Laoghaire. I should know as I grew up there :)

• RMweb Premium

I’ve spent so much on wagon modelling recently, I can’t afford the loads until pay day in January. Hope there will still be some left to order.

I built these over the last three nights,

77B8B724-4000-4527-88D3-F9B2074EEAD3.jpeg.51a738d19d22855b250a3277b9502baa.jpeg

Etched brass kits for coil cradles by Stenson Models.  The instructions are so good even I managed to make them.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Ireland's first railway ran from Dublin to Dún Laoghaire,  or Kingstown as it was called then.

Correct! The service started in 1834, and had a 2 mile section run by 'atmospheric' railway, the first commercial railway of that type in the world.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dublin to Dún Laoghaire was arguably the first commuter line in the world. It was actually originally built to standard gauge as far as I know. It was latter re-gauged to the Irish 5' 3". On its 150th anniversary in 1984, the electrification of the line was completed and the all commuter services since then have been electric.

There was also an earlier railway, if you can call it that, as it had no locomotives, that ran from Dalkey quarry to Dún Laoghaire for the construction of the harbour. Horses were used to bring the empties back up but the wagons ran down by gravity.

The "atmospheric railway" as mentioned was an extension of the line from Dún Laoghaire (Kingstown) to Dalkey and used the vacuum method to propel trains. Some of the route of the quarry line was used.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, BR Blue said:

Its Dun Laoghaire. I should know as I grew up there :)

Thank you BRB, I vaguely recall this from the road direction sign - I recognised it well enough to realise I'd gone wrong somewhere!

1 hour ago, McC said:

Correct! The service started in 1834, and had a 2 mile section run by 'atmospheric' railway, the first commercial railway of that type in the world.

Wow, I didn't know that McC, very interesting! Did it actually work then? At just 2 miles it would have stood a better chance than the South Devon version. Any trouble with rats.....?! 

So it started the same year as the Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway in Cornwall.

(More info just gone up from BRB, good stuff!)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1