If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

New from Sweden

Reptilian Feline

Hello everyone!

I'm a bit of an oddball. I have made the decision to model a fictional Yorkshire setup ca. 1942-45. I started out working on it in British N-scale, but then the space I was putting it in had to be used for other stuff, and I shelved the idea. Last year I was bitten by the modelling bug again, and tried to figure out a space for my model. Turns out that if I do things just right, I can put it in the walk in closet/room. Just a slight problem. I need to scale down to Z-scale.

I have tinkered with the layout, looked at what track to use, and that is OK. It won't be perfect in scale to the prototype, but I can live with that.

For buildings, I have downloaded some in larger scale and is in the process of working on them digitally to fit the 1:220 scale and then print and assembles normally. There is quite a lot I can do in that respect and then do some digital weathering and personalisation. It's fun. I enjoy it.

The problem is with locos and rolling stock. I don't have a 3D printer (yet), and I read that there used to be paper or card models of rolling stock and even locos as well.

And that's why I'm here. I will have to make a load of wagons and some carriages, and there are very few options. I might have to scratch build if I can't get the wheel configuration right from some Z-scale Märklin models (used most likely). I know 3D printing is a way to get things done, but I thought I would save the cost for the locos and stuff, and make the simpler rollong stock out of paper and card.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to getting some help in the card building section.

• Like 4

I have quite a large selection of 3D print designs for locos, railcars coaches and wagons, mostly only down to N  scale, but I have resized some down to Z and could do more. All are available printed from Shapeways. Biggest problem would be finding chassis to fit, even for coaches as British coaches are narrower than most European ones.

51 minutes ago, Matti8 said:

Do you have any specific locos and/or rolling stock in mind? I know some people who might scale down their designs for you.

Rolling stock would be mostly short based since I have a few sharp turns. According to the railway modelling book I've been reading, around the time I want, most rolling stock could end up just about anywhere. This gives me a chance to make a lot of different liveries and companies and just mix it up.

The line is a branch line, the placing (even if it's fictional) says it's in LMS territory. I'd like a couple of early diesel shunters and an 0-6-0 steam engine. I have no real need for those fancy express locos, even if they do look nice.

There are two options (or three) for locos to kit bash or replace the casing on. Märklin as they come used at a reasonable price in Sweden, and Rokuhan engines... and I think I've seen some engine kits in Z that I can buy when I have the money for it.

6 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I have quite a large selection of 3D print designs for locos, railcars coaches and wagons, mostly only down to N  scale, but I have resized some down to Z and could do more. All are available printed from Shapeways. Biggest problem would be finding chassis to fit, even for coaches as British coaches are narrower than most European ones.

That's the problem with scale when it isn't properly prototypical. 

I'm thinking that when I can afford a 3D printer, I'll find some files and then scale down and adjust so it would fit whatever I have to put it on.  It would be easier to do that if I have a donor loco to measure first.

1 hour ago, Reptilian Feline said:

Rolling stock would be mostly short based since I have a few sharp turns. According to the railway modelling book I've been reading, around the time I want, most rolling stock could end up just about anywhere. This gives me a chance to make a lot of different liveries and companies and just mix it up.

The line is a branch line, the placing (even if it's fictional) says it's in LMS territory. I'd like a couple of early diesel shunters and an 0-6-0 steam engine. I have no real need for those fancy express locos, even if they do look nice.

There are two options (or three) for locos to kit bash or replace the casing on. Märklin as they come used at a reasonable price in Sweden, and Rokuhan engines... and I think I've seen some engine kits in Z that I can buy when I have the money for it.

Here is a great choice for a branchline loco: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc?section=4mm+L%26YR+Loco'+Bodies&s=0

Send him an email, he scales things up or down on request.

There is also someone on Instagram who has just designed what your looking for but in 4mm. I asked him if he would rescale.

Otherwise I would gladly scratchbuild a body for you to fit on a Märklin or Rokuhan chassis for probably much cheaper then cost to 3D print. My projects are on hold at the moment until I can get some soldering supplies.

Edited by Matti8
  • Like 1

I have a couple of NER locos in my range. The 0-6-0 tender loco would be ideal I think. I wonder if a motor might be fitted in tender.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_sg-trains1.htm

and coaches and railcars here.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_sg-trains2-lner.htm

The GCR railcar is already available in 1/220 scale.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I have a couple of NER locos in my range. The 0-6-0 tender loco would be ideal I think. I wonder if a motor might be fitted in tender.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_sg-trains1.htm

and coaches and railcars here.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/3d_printed_sg-trains2-lner.htm

The GCR railcar is already available in 1/220 scale.

That is impressive work!