Building an ex NER G5 0-4-4 Tank from a London Road Models 4mm kit

Richard, can I say again on behalf of our club that we are extremely grateful! Most importantly for your tribute to your friend and former DMRC member Ray Goad and in doing so offering to build and donate one of his favourite locomotives to our club. 

(Once we have emerged from this lockdown and the club can return to some sort of ‘normality’ we will arrange a date to meet).

thank you

-Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2021 at 20:53, 43110andyb said:

Richard, can I say again on behalf of our club that we are extremely grateful! Most importantly for your tribute to your friend and former DMRC member Ray Goad and in doing so offering to build and donate one of his favourite locomotives to our club. 

Andy,

Sorry I have not replied earlier, busy with home refurb.

It has been an absolute pleasure. Ray was such a great guy, always looking on the bright side. I am just sad that I missed seeing and chatting with him again, it would have been a real laugh. So..its the least I can do for a really good railwayman and fine chap.

Please get in touch when current (and hopefully last..) lockdown ends so I can come up and present you with the G5. I will probably travel up by train.....

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I am off to Darlington to hand over the G5 to The Darlington Model Railway Club this Saturday. I have given 67305 a final run on my layout and parked it up to the ProScale V2 kit that I am building. The G5 was much easier to build than the V2!

67305 ran perfectly and very silently strait from the box in which it has been stored since construction. Bet it doesn't when it gets to Darlington....

IMG_6789.JPG.1faef61ff7e3177b71d67065a85f97f9.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’m sure it will run superbly and we’re looking forward to seeing it along with your good self! -Just hope the layout doesn’t let it down! 

We have just re-wired the control panel from the original Ray Goad made (it was built in the 70’s so we had to update it due to some issues with ageing switches etc).

Testing will commence tonight as due to the club being closed for so long we have only had a couple of months to do the upgrade :help:

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 30368 said:

ProScale V2 kit that I am building.

Richard,

I have one on my workbench waiting to be started.  It must be the umpteenth time I've opened the box and then found something else to do!  Any chance you took some photos and could start a thread to show us the way to go?

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

Have a look at my:

The V2 build starts about half way down this page. This is what the V2 looks like now:

793829750_IMG_6788(2).JPG.ecf695ffcf4c8605905314fd6d4a7b09.JPG

KInd regards,

Richard B

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Any chance you took some photos and could start a thread to show us the way to go?

See above Steve.

Kind regards,

Richard B

What a fantastic day at our exhibition today! Richard kindly travelled up to our show and presented the G5 to the club on the Tees Castle layout!

Again many thanks Richard and we hope to welcome you back the club in the future!

C40F891F-E69C-49EB-ABE0-83D2B03DE7EE.jpeg

4B7EC532-E1E8-46D1-8853-939D9DBBA2EE.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 43110andyb said:

What a fantastic day at our exhibition today!

Hi Andy,

It was a real pleasure to visit and present you with the G5 which, as you know, was in memory of my former colleague and member of your club, Ray Goad.

The Exhibition was very good in such fantastic place, the original Darlington North Road Station. It was odd in some ways since the last time I visited North Road Station it was a station and not a museum. Good to see though that there were still some items if scrape around (apologies if required!) although the scrape I recall seeing in 1963 was, sadly, many ex NER engines being cut up.

I look forward to visiting again and I have transferred funds in the club account for the DJH B16/1 kit of which more later, probably very later...

Kind regards, and thanks for making me feel so welcome,

Richard B

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Richard,

If you still have the photographs, is there any chance of being able to reupload some them to the appropriate messages in your thread? It would be a big help to those of us building this kit!

Rich

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MarshLane said:

If you still have the photographs, is there any chance of being able to reupload some them to the appropriate messages in your thread? It would be a big help to those of us building this kit!

Rich

I will look into it Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

14 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Richard,

Rich

Rich,

I have added as many of the original images that I can find, both of the prototype and the model build. I really hope that this helps all those potential builders of G5 0-4-4Ts. This all started out as a belated tribute to my former railway colleague Ray Goad, who was a great fan of the G5.

I am now helping to build the full size G5 by my contributions. I am also a founder member of the P2 build and look forward to the completion of the new workshop in Darlington. If you read the opening piece on this thread you will see why Darlington has a special place in my railway, and retired life.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS I still have an A4, A3, V4, B7 and B16 to build but my layout (70D) is the priority.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 30368 said:

Rich,

I have added as many of the original images that I can find, both of the prototype and the model build. I really hope that this helps all those potential builders of G5 0-4-4Ts.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Richard,

Many thanks on behalf of me, and anyone that follows me!

Rich

• Like 2