Parcels traffic on the Southern; Post war - Pre nationalisation

Jack P

Hi guys, 

As the title would suggest, i'm on the hunt for info on Parcels traffic on the Southern. 

I've found a few photos post-1948, but I want to try and understand if (apart from the liveries) there would be any major difference.

What would a regular rake comprise of, how many wagons/vans etc. Any information around this subject is greatly appreciated. Links and book suggestions also.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jack P

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Jack P said:

I've found a few photos post-1498,

If you happen to find any photos pre-1498, please drop me a line. They don't have to be of the Southern, or even of railways - photographs of anything would be of interest. If you can go back to 1485, I'd love to know what Richard III really looked like. :)

[Sorry, I'm away from home right now and don't have access to my Southern books]

• Funny 3

6 minutes ago, Jeremy C said:

If you happen to find any photos pre-1498, please drop me a line. They don't have to be of the Southern, or even of railways - photographs of anything would be of interest. If you can go back to 1485, I'd love to know what Richard III really looked like. :)

[Sorry, I'm away from home right now and don't have access to my Southern books]

Oh for goodness sake. Haha, this is the cumulative effect of a late night and an early morning!!

I'll keep you in mind if I come across any photos pre 1700's

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Assuming you're thinking of post war ( no, not Roses ) the vast majority of pre=-grouping Southern stuff will have disappeared leaving a huge fleet ( by Southern standards ) of Maunsell Parcels Vans and Covcars with a few corridor vans and 4w or bogie brakes in the same family. A handful of LSWR 56' brakes survived and the 'Specie' vans plus, of course assorted LSWR, SECR & SR Postal vans though you'd have to operate your layout in the dark to see the latter.

I suppose you could include the 'Night Ferry' Fourgon as Parcels Traffic - though ONLY as part of that train ............ and just about any parcels vehicle could visit from one of the other three 'grouping' companies - in smallish numbers. Most of these would have been on regular workings - though the vehicle type might change ...... GWR 'Siphon J' milk vans 2521/2/3 were actually branded to work from Thorney & Kingsbury Halt ( wherever that might be ) to Gillingham ( Kent ) from April 1935 - the traffic may still have run after the war but without dedicated vehicles.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Assuming you're thinking of post war ( no, not Roses ) the vast majority of pre=-grouping Southern stuff will have disappeared leaving a huge fleet ( by Southern standards ) of Maunsell Parcels Vans and Covcars with a few corridor vans and 4w or bogie brakes in the same family. A handful of LSWR 56' brakes survived and the 'Specie' vans plus, of course assorted LSWR, SECR & SR Postal vans though you'd have to operate your layout in the dark to see the latter.

I suppose you could include the 'Night Ferry' Fourgon as Parcels Traffic - though ONLY as part of that train ............ and just about any parcels vehicle could visit from one of the other three 'grouping' companies - in smallish numbers. Most of these would have been on regular workings - though the vehicle type might change ...... GWR 'Siphon J' milk vans 2521/2/3 were actually branded to work from Thorney & Kingsbury Halt ( wherever that might be ) to Gillingham ( Kent ) from April 1935 - the traffic may still have run after the war but without dedicated vehicles.

Thorney and Kingsbury was near Langport, Somerset; I believe the traffic was cream for J Lyon's tearooms.

Gould's book on SR non-Passenger stock has quite a bit on diagramming of stock.

• Like 1