Free stl downloads?

I often get asked if I can supply stl files , and always politely say I can not, so I have created a small number of files which can be downloaded via Shapeways, as they have that option on their system, and I don't have to do anything other than ticking a box on those designs. 

One design I did was for a freelance coach, a request from someone to test a new printer. I have also included a couple of items which I considered too expensive to get printed, but even then after someone asked, I set one item to be available for Shapeways printing and I think they ordered a print. 

I am now getting asked why I can't just email stl files when asked. The simple answer is that I don't. By using the option on Shapeways I don't have to get involved and don't use up my valuable time on sending emails. Some stl files can be pretty big, and require to be compressed into zip files, something I would not prefer to get involved in. Why should I when it probably takes less  for someone to download from Shapeways.

Apparently to be able to download from Shapeways you have to sign up, and some people seem to object to that. I can't understand why, and why should I have to do something just because they don't want to sign up. I do not have to offer stl files to download, for free, I did it as a favour, and to see what would happen.  I won't name and shame, but please use what is out there, it is better for everyone. Compared to most of the online services you have to sign uo to, Shapeways are pretty good, certainly no extra junk mail or marketing ,which are the norm on many websites.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
spell check
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Yes, I’ve had this too. From my perspective it’s kind of irritating that people either value my work as nothing or think I’m hopeless enough to hand over free stuff to them

However, there is a wonderful community out there with free 3D files for those who want them - some of them handy. I don’t use these in my sales models for obvious reasons, but for those designing for themselves, there are plenty of test prints/ actual useful items available with a simple google search

A few months back I made all my files for SNCF coach bodies on Shapeways available to download. They are 1/160 scale and designed around parts from a cheaply available donor coach. Strangely, testing some of the files revealed they had been changed - in some cases normals were reversed so not immediately printable. Anyway, I then moved the files to Google docs and provide an updated post on SNCF and French N gauge topics on here and other sites. This seems to be working OK. One enthusiastic user has printed everything on his filament printer which I think is set to the cake icing layer thickness. He is happy with them. The original files were designed around Shapeways tolerances, and intended to be printed roof down to reduce the impact of traces of support material. It turns out that  some very good prints in resin can be achieved with the coach end at the bottom and printing vertically. So a long print time, but scope to load up the print bed with several coaches at once. That learning process has been shared so everyone can benefit from the knowledge.

I can see why @rue_d_etropalwould not want to be directly involved in providing downloads, especially given the size of the catalogue of items he offers. I think that the use of Shapeways as a repository for selected free downloads is a practical solution. But there will always be those who are not happy with the free file but want it gift wrapped in a padded envelope. :-) My advice would be “design your own”.

• RMweb Gold

My comments were to warn the people new to 3d printing that some of the models available on Cults 3d are faulty. My reason was not to have a moan about the content but to warn any newbie to 3d printing so that they didn't spend hours trying to get a good print from something that was faulty in the first place. Apparently programs like Meshmixer can fix the faults, but I haven't tried it so can't comment as to its effectiveness.

There are a lot of perfectly good free STLs out there but you do still need to know how to use the slicing software to get a good print from them. It is not just a case of grab an STL and press print - you need to convert the STL into a file that your printer can handle. In Cura (which I use for my Filament printer) there are literally hundreds of settings you can tweak to improve the quality. Conversely if you make the wrong changes to the settings you can ruin a print. The files usually included on the SD card (sometimes called 'benchies', short for benchmark) with your printer will have been optimised for your printer so should come out okay.

One of the best ways to improve the quality of the print on a filament or FDM printer is to slow down the print speed. Also 'enable retraction' stops you getting a string of spaghetti like output.

I managed to print perfectly good 4mm scale light clusters for a class 142 on my cheap Aldi printer by slowing the print speed down to 10mm second.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know if the phrase “choosing beggars” has made it over there, but it’s quite the phenomenon - here’s a round up of examples: https://www.boredpanda.com/choosing-beggars/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

(There’s some choice blurred out language on there).

I sometimes give stuff away on Thingiverse - which doesn’t need an account to download files, but I don’t support it, and I don’t work on it unless it’s something I need to do myself. You’re on Shapeways, and I understand you not wanting to put your files on other sites. That’s your prerogative. If they want a free file, then it’s up to them to create an account to download it.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

I thought of a couple of things while reading through this.

The OP mentioned emailing things. Email is good for sending messages but less so for sharing larger files. Cloud storage is a lot better for this. There are many cloud options available, from setting up your own on AWS or Azure, sharing your Google Drive, Dropbox or using a service intended for 3d files, like Shapeways.

Like JCL, I don't mind sharing what I have designed for myself but sometimes what seems a simple design can take a while to get right, maybe days. This can be frustrating when doing them for yourself, but rewarding when they are finally completed. The final sense of reward is not there when you do them for somebody else.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's always a problem in hobbies that are creative. I don't mind signing up for a place to find good downloads, or good enough freeware. I don't mind fixing things that's not OK within free stuff. I do mind having to fix things that's supposed to be good for my needs, and I pay for it, and I still need to fix it because the seller didn't tell the truth.

I have downloaded a few free card kits that I then spend time rescaling to fit Z-scale. I have done so, to find out if it's working. I might have to buy some kits and scale those down as well, if I find something I like, and I'm OK with that too.

For 3D printing there are several options, but I know that making a model is very time consuming. If you then offer it for free, you want a hands off approach to that download. You want to spend your time on things you want, not to have to answer emails from people who "don't get it" or can't follow directions. They don't want to sign up? Fine. Their loss. Move on.

Plenty of people don't appreciate the time it takes to make things; be it 3D models, digital artwork, or knitted sweaters. They want it free or dirt cheap and then complain. We need to blank that out of our lives somehow, but it's hard when we try to be nice.

As @simonmcp said, the amount of settings that may require tweaking can be huge.  With potentially large downloads behind a "sign up so we have your details" website, maybe people think this, coupled with messing with settings mean it's just too much hassle than it may be worth.  Plus, doesn't Shapeways require files to be quite particular?  Means yet more potential changes, which will put new people in 3D printing off completely.

Many websites want you to sign up so they can email you with rubbish.  I certainly expect it with nearly every website that wants my email, otherwise why would they want it?  Did you show photos of it painted and on a layout?  That can always showcase things better.

I'd expect as 3D printing becomes more popular, there will be more requests for files - likely ones that are already available on the two main resources for STL files - Thingiverse and Cults3D.  Like other areas of the forum, patience will be required with the slew of questions that appear again and again.

But isn't Shapeways a site that creators upload their stuff and Shapeways prints it and sends it out for money?  I've always seen it as this, but then the circles where I see Shapeways mentioned are quite different to model railways.  Clearly this isn't the case with your files but if someone can't be bothered to create an account to download, no point in going round in circles.

Although do you get loads of emails asking for the files?

I've had the odd one or two messages in the past so just provide the link to Cults3D where I got the file from.  Never get anything back.

I agree with others though - using an accessible link like Google Drive allows you to better control the files being distributed.

But if you've bought into Shapeways and their system and believe that is better, crack on.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt