LIGHTING WITH ZIMO 644 DECODER

robertwm3110

Hi, I am fitting a spare MX644 Zimo chip in a DJH class 14.  Sorted out the forward/reverse lighting but how do I get a cab light to work.  There are half a dozen Function connections going spare, but which do I connect to.  Obviously positive (blue) to the common positive but where does the other go.  I randomly tried F3 but no joy.  Is this a CV setting issue. I want the cab light separate from the direction lights.  

3 hours ago, robertwm3110 said:

Thanks to both.  Not familiar with decoder pro but just googled it, thanks. On the other point, Suzie, if I connect to FI then how is this mapped to the cab unit (NCE procab). Which key is going to make it work? 

As you've found JMRI/DecoderPro, and owing a NCE system, the connection costs from computer are very low - if you have a PowerPro system, you need a USB-Serial adaptor cable from a computer bits retailer. 

In your other question about the loco, you need to separate out wiring from function keys.  They are independent.    I'm slightly concerned about a thread talking about MX644 (which is a MTC-21 pin socket decoder) and decoder wires.  Is this really a MX644D or MX644C, or if it has wires something else ? 

Anyway, step 1: connect your cab light to whichever output on the decoder you wish (there are a lot on the MX644).  I'd suggest aiming at the first couple of outputs (Fo1, Fo2, etc.).   Because of a mess of the two versions of the MTC-21 pin connection standard, avoid Fo3 and Fo4 until you're more confident about making changes. 

Then, there are several ways with CV changes in a Zimo decoder to map the function output to any function key of choice.   So, if you want the light on F3, that's doable once you've decided which wire/pin its connected to.  

Thanks again for various comments.  Just to be clear, this is a MX644D.  The reference to wires is based on the fact that the chip is plugged in to a small 21 pin to wire adapter.  These (acquired off ebay for a few quid and very good ) are small adapters on which the chip sits ( i.e. male adapter, female receiver on the chip.)  The advantage is that they have 21 slightly larger soldering pads which makes wiring a lot easier and if you screw up the soldering you ruin the adapter on not the chip! This is a DJH LOCO with no previous wiring so its all new from the lights etc.  Thanks your advice Nigel, but I have now found the paperwork and its a Youchoos chip....that indicates that AUX3/FA1 is the connection for the light, with F6 on the cab unit to control it.  So will try that, but if it doesnt work I’ll be back. But I would still like to be able to know how to remap the function outputs to the cab unit function keys.