Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll 2020

• RMweb Premium

I would certainly buy any Wantage Tramway locomotives in 1:43 scale with No.5 "Jane" as the prime contender!

There are just so many fine and interesting locos - another prime contender would be a model of the M&SWJR No.8 "Beyer Peacock" 2-4-0T - or the similar SMJR verion No.5 and others!

I know there have been some fancy kits but the are so desireable they would be welcome as RTR in "0"!

Regards

Chris H

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello CloggyDog

Thanks very much - we weren't aware of that. Perhaps there is potential?

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

There have been two tinplate operating models too in the past, here’s one ;)

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/CPWuppModelRR.html

Now to voting thanks :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

What about a British prototype fireless steam locomotive for the poll next year? Definitely quirky, maybe even a contender for a conventional wish-list? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MPR said:

What about a British prototype fireless steam locomotive for the poll next year? Definitely quirky, maybe even a contender for a conventional wish-list? 

Now, if they were to bring out a Bagnall 0-4-0F, that's one I would buy - especially if it was in H&P colours!

• Agree 2

Well, I’m not into the spirit of this thing at all. I voted for what were probably three of the least quirky items on the list. I have A4s, a streamlined P2 and a rebuilt LNER 10000, so a streamlined B17 would complete the quartet nicely. The LMS “garden shed” shunter was the first in a line of shunters which led (eventually) to the numerous 08s. Finally, Locomotion sits nicely in the gap between Trevithick’s pioneer and Rocket.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Baz

I don't buy that 'we have it in' for Judith Edge Kits. Some are suggestions from us; other suggestions were from voters last year. 

Yes I see your point.

The problem is that once an rtr version is announced sales must dry up..

Sentinel.. Hornby.. not bad but has faults

Ruston 48DS.. Hornby.. needs a match truck to make it work

Janus.. Golden Valley.. loads of these going cheap.. not very accurate

Clayton.. Heljan.. ran like a dog

Fell.. KRModels..eventually..

Hunslet 16".. rapido with quirky mechanism

So these quirky locos go into rtr world leaving kit designers facing no chance of recovering their own costs..do the manufacturers do any research of their own?

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I'm pretty sure Judith Edge stills sells Sentinel kits even after the Hornby model arrived, something that surprised  me. 

The 48ds doesn't need a match wagon if your track is OK. And without it, it runs better than my kit built version. 

Hunslet from Rapido? You are criticising a mechanism you've not seen yet. 

Basically, cheer up. This is a bit of fun. Don't turn it into another moanfest. If you disapprove of RTR, just look elsewhere and let everyone else indulge in some pleasant, fanciful dreaming. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm pretty sure Judith Edge stills sells Sentinel kits even after the Hornby model arrived, something that surprised  me. 

The 48ds doesn't need a match wagon if your track is OK. And without it, it runs better than my kit built version. 

Hunslet from Rapido? You are criticising a mechanism you've not seen yet. 

Basically, cheer up. This is a bit of fun. Don't turn it into another moanfest. If you disapprove of RTR, just look elsewhere and let everyone else indulge in some pleasant, fanciful dreaming. 

Phil

The two locos i mention stick out like a sore thumb.. they are not quirky at all.. as it happens I have voted for a quirky loco..the aveling and porter.. now how do you make that work?

Baz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Clayton.. Heljan.. ran like a dog

That’s true of the first run, but subsequent runs have been fine (there have been more than 20 variants over the years). The fact that years later the Heljan is still being re-issued suggests there’s a decent market for it, and I don’t believe the vast majority of those sales will have been cannibalised from what would otherwise be JE sales.

Heljan is now releasing an 0 gauge model Clayton: is that ok because JLTRT went bust and JE don’t produce a kit, or bad because it stops a kit manufacturer making one?

There’s room for everyone. 

Paul

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Barry O said:

have voted for a quirky loco..the aveling and porter.. now how do you make that work?

In a similar way to the latest Rocket model? :) Even tiny 4mm industrials are similar in space to small N gauge shunters and I’ve got mech and Dcc in there with an 8mm square chip from Zimo. Now something quirky like Cyclopede would be entertaining to motorise in 4mm. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MPR said:

Hello MPR

I have put 'a Fireless Loco' on the 2021 Agenda for you.

When we were running 'the old main Poll', we had an Industrial category up to 2018. We had to list items 'generically' as there wasn't room for specifics. We listed Industrial 0-4-0T - Fireless and this finished in The Top 50.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, the bubblecar thing has been done already...

20191031_210752.jpg.0fef4a1ce6085008db3508399f108404.jpg

I do have an MP4 of it running round on a part of Watt Estate but apparently MP4 is not an acceptable file type.

Origin: My car found when we cleared my parents loft, donated to the Watt Estate crew (Club 09 Layout - That's 0 scale on 9mm gauge track) who motorised and repainted it.

• Like 5

Another industrial suggestion.

The BTH shunting locos at Fords Dagenham,  three were built in 1931 and one is preserved on the Kent & East Sussex Railway.

They worked across  the main line and were built to LMSR loading gauge and when built gave demonstrations 

on the Dagenham to Purfleet line.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

do the manufacturers do any research of their own?

Wishlisting, in any form, is not research.

Research is the long hours spent in archives, grinding through manufacturer’s drawings trying to piece together build histories and common components. It’s the hours spent trawling through photographic collections (online and offline), looking for livery variations and it’s the days spent putting together a business case for any particular subject. It’s about talking to those folk who worked with the subject and the time spent tracking those people down and it’s about establishing whether there are any licensing implications that might erode any profit margin.

And that’s before trying to work out the complexities of engineering that is required to deliver a model at a reasonable cost...

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, FTSK said:

Another industrial suggestion.

The BTH shunting locos at Fords Dagenham,  three were built in 1931 and one is preserved on the Kent & East Sussex Railway.

They worked across  the main line and were built to LMSR loading gauge and when built gave demonstrations 

on the Dagenham to Purfleet line.

Hello FTSK

Those locos were on our draft list but didn't make it to the final. I'll make sure they are back on the 2021 Agenda for you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you haven't room for a decent Wuppertal monorail line in your front room you can always run it on Microsoft Train Simulator and have the whole line to run on.

I don't think there is anything on the official list I would buy, as modelling a South Wales valley is a bit limiting, though plenty of company locos ended up in industrial use. I would buy a 4mm Peckett of suitable type such as the X class  (not the Hornby 0-4-0ST currently available) as they were quite common. Invertrain (no connection) already do an X in 7 mm.

Jonathan

• Like 1