B2 to C Hornby Peckett modification.

The C Class was a variant of the B but with inside cylinders and smaller wheels. As far as I can tell, all the basic dimensions were the same. It just so happens that the wheels on Class C were of the same diameter as the W4, so I had the idea of fitting W4 wheelsets to a B2 and this is the result.

It has plasticard packing between the frames and body to lift the body in compensation for losing the height difference of the wheels, and plasticard to fill the gap where the cylinder block sat in the frames. To remove the motion bracket in one piece required stripping the motor out and refitting it. It needs another set of steps making for the front, which fit slightly ahead of the sand boxes. The pickups were tweaked slightly in order to get them to match up to the new wheels.

pekets-025.jpg.0ff9ea756dd036742db867914df3ad58.jpg

pekets-027.jpg.c588ce8567915610c1e17e82e81a3663.jpg

Because the flanges on the W4 wheels aren't as deep as those on the B2 models, it can now run on every part of my layout.

Edit: The frame shape at the front will also need to be altered. It slopes away to full depth on the C, unlike the vertical drop on the B2. That's a lot of filing to be done!

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

That is superb, Dave, what a good idea!

It's also given me food for thought, in terms of converting my B2 to P4 (I can't use it 'as is' in OO, due to the deeper flanges).

A basic 0-6-0 chassis should be possible for a 'C' class. Would you be able to advise on chassis dimensions, by the way, please?

Many thanks.

40 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

That is superb, Dave, what a good idea!

It's also given me food for thought, in terms of converting my B2 to P4 (I can't use it 'as is' in OO, due to the deeper flanges).

A basic 0-6-0 chassis should be possible for a 'C' class. Would you be able to advise on chassis dimensions, by the way, please?

Many thanks.

I don't know the chassis dimensions. I'm going only on the fact that everything from the running plate up appears to be identical on both types. The cylinder bore and stroke are the same and so I would imagine they use the same boiler as there is no reason not to.

I assume the frame lengths will be the same. The wheelbase on the C is 6 inches longer but where those extra inches are I can't say for sure. The bases do look to be equal though, so it could be 3 inches further out on the leading and trailing axles.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

There is a very similar Peckett featured on the cover of Railway Bylines, v26, Issue 3 February 2021. It has works number 1586 built in 1922 and worked the Newdigate colliery. It looks to have bigger wheels though. Any ideas as to which class it would be? I've had a search but found nothing.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, davknigh said:

There is a very similar Peckett featured on the cover of Railway Bylines, v26, Issue 3 February 2021. It has works number 1586 built in 1922 and worked the Newdigate colliery. It looks to have bigger wheels though. Any ideas as to which class it would be? I've had a search but found nothing.

Cheers,

David

Don't know for certain, but could it be an X2?

Peckett 1567

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

Don't know for certain, but could it be an X2?

Peckett 1567

It is an X2. This is the loco shown on the Mercian kit instructions. In the photo it is the one on the left. This was part of the journey to building the survivor Ackton Hall no3. Newdigate had at least two nos 3&4. Like AH#3 they had a factory overhaul during the early war years and were finished in flat black. Post war  factory  visits saw all three returned to Pecketts factory green.

IMG_20201118_155838.jpg

Edited by doilum
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, davknigh said:

Thanks Doilum,

How does it compare to the B2 dimensionally? I gathered from Moxy's link that the cylinders are larger but what about the remaining key dimensions, is it even close to the B2?

Cheers,

David

Not sure. I have just measured my pair of ,X2s and dividing by 7 get an overall length not including buffers of 25'. The wheelbase is an equal 5'1''+5'1" and the first axle is approximately 4'9'' behind the buffer beam. If it helps, the cab is 8'7'' from cab front to rear buffer beam. Driving wheels are 3'9''.

Edited by doilum
  • Thanks 1