Suitable stone retaining walls like Sheffield OO gauge

Hi everyone,

I like the look of wills SSMP200

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/model-railways/wills-brand5/wills-ssmp200.html

in order to recreate retaining walls like Sheffield (Shown here)

However the sheets are only 13cm long and I am going to be needing at least 12 foot plus I intend to use the same material for the platform sides. Does anyone have any other ideas, either embossed or photo realistic options. I tried slaters and evergreen but could put really see anything suitable. I am not up to date with all the options or companies in this space.

thanks

Russell

• RMweb Gold

Not used them yet, but the shop link below produce a huge range of brick and stone sheets, downloadable/printable at home, so probably more economic for a large quantity. I have them on my possible shopping list for a (probably) brick retaining wall.

https://www.3dk.ca/product-page/ts009-textured-stone-wall-sheet

Ian

Edited by ITG
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Faller does a wide range of embossed stone card sheets, some of which could be suitable. I don't know how they compare price-wise. Most of the ads. are from european retailers. They are for HO but as a backscene that might be beneficial. Beware - some suppliers seem to have high postage charges.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Scalescenes retaining wall. Excellent photo quality and for £3.99 you can print out as much as you want. variable heights, curves etc. several different finishes, stone, brick etc. Highly recommended.

I am just building some for my layout.

https://scalescenes.com/product/r013-retaining-wall/

Ian

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ITG said:

Not used them yet, but the shop link below produce a huge range of brick and stone sheets, downloadable/printable at home, so probably more economic for a large quantity. I have them on my possible shopping list for a (probably) brick retaining wall.

Ian

How does the texturing work? What sort of printer do you need to get 3D texturing?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, phil_sutters said:

How does the texturing work? What sort of printer do you need to get 3D texturing?

Tbh, I don’t know as I’ve not yet used/bought/downloaded them. I suspect they cannot actually be textured by printing, but maybe by DIY treatment after printing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the Scalescenes ones (which I highly recommend) of course they print out flat on paper. But then you can texture them by laying the sheets over course sandpaper and running the paper gently.

It works ok

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Peco LK-40 (I think) is worth a look. It’s a printed vacuum formed sheet which at first sight looks quite basic but actually the colours are not bad and with a bit of weathering to tone it down look reasonable- certainly at the back of a layout.

I think you can still get them although a quick search tonight I struggled a little to find them, they come in sheets a little under A4 and would need mounting on card but not bad at all for their primitive origins.

The ‘straight out of the pack’ item is what’s used on the platform walls below.

D5C946F5-C3DD-4B40-9F40-54AEB94A94BA.jpeg.1f65131873638dba990263115115e293.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Whilst a bit light on pictures, these are large sheets with less need to join;

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Building Materials/Building Materials.htm

Mike.

Can't comment on the stone products but I've certainly used their brickwork. I think I prefer it to the Slaters equivalent.

50648980162_3bb3cd9df3_c.jpg

50641515807_3fd97f6a79_z.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ben Alder said:

Would these be of any use? Textured wallpaper type finish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-SHEETS-bumpy-EMBOSSED-BRICK-stone-wall-paper-21x28cm-HO-1-87/392313695374

Here is an example of it on a building.

IMG_1625.JPG.c2abec052691931c5e375372122eacad.JPG

This looks interesting, just a little concerned about a seller in Greece and supplier from China, but at that price it may be worth the risk

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Whilst a bit light on pictures, these are large sheets with less need to join;

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Building Materials/Building Materials.htm

Mike.

shame there are no pics, as the brickwork below looks good.

9 hours ago, SHerr said:

Peco LK-40 (I think) is worth a look. It’s a printed vacuum formed sheet which at first sight looks quite basic but actually the colours are not bad and with a bit of weathering to tone it down look reasonable- certainly at the back of a layout.

I think you can still get them although a quick search tonight I struggled a little to find them, they come in sheets a little under A4 and would need mounting on card but not bad at all for their primitive origins.

The ‘straight out of the pack’ item is what’s used on the platform walls below.

D5C946F5-C3DD-4B40-9F40-54AEB94A94BA.jpeg.1f65131873638dba990263115115e293.jpeg

The only issue here are the stones are uniform in size unlike the brickwork in Sheffield.

10 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

I've used PS-64 and PS-82 and really like the patterns.  Plus, the sheets are 300 x 175 mm, much larger than the Wills sheets.

https://www.plastruct.com/search?page=2&q=stone+sheet

will see if I can find some bigger pics, thanks 

14 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Scalescenes retaining wall. Excellent photo quality and for £3.99 you can print out as much as you want. variable heights, curves etc. several different finishes, stone, brick etc. Highly recommended.

Ian

I always wonder what the photo quality will be like on a big scale, whether it then looks to artificial or flat

14 hours ago, ITG said:

Ian

thanks not heard of there, will look at their site

"This looks interesting, just a little concerned about a seller in Greece and supplier from China, but at that price it may be worth the risk"

I found them by chance and have dealt with them two or three times, with no problems. They arrive quickly and cater for several scales, including dolls houses and the seller has nearly 20000 positives so no reason to worry.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

The processes are known by printers as embossing and debossing but the basic technical aspects are pretty much the same (and probably use the same machine)  Using heat and pressure, a metal plate containing a design, text or a pattern is pressed into a suitable stock to form a raised (embossed) or lowered (debossed) image. For embossing you need a front and back die and it raises details on the front of paper. For debossing you just need a front die and it leaves the back surface smooth. If you look at the posher of the Christmas cards you've received this year you'll probably find examples of both (if it has an embossed design on one side but is smooth on the other they may have laminated the embossed paper onto a backing piece)

Traditional letterpress (metal type) printing does deboss the page very slightly. That's usually just a side effect of pressing the type onto the paper to transfer the ink but for textures and particularly what we would need for building papers it would require more pressure and a suitable stock; for stonework or roof tiles I think one would need embossing. 

Modern printing is though based on offset litho where the ink is finally transferred onto the paper via an offset or blanket cylinder that picks up the ink from an aluminium plate where an oil and water not mixing process puts the ink only where it's needed. I don't know whether textured building papers are embossed or debossed - I would guess embossed but it would depend on the depth of impression needed. In either case, though I don't know for certain, I assume that that the building paper would have to  be colour printed and dried before being embossed/debossed to produce the texture. The processes would need to line up accurately of course but that's what printers do. Some of the buildign papes I have look as if they were embossed using fairly thin stock that was then laminated onto thicker stock to give it adequate strength.

I have no idea of costs for this and it isn't something I'd expect you local InstaPrint  shop to do but I don't think it's beyond the capabilities of a 'proper' printer. The printers who handle the Journal I edit sent me a Christmas card this year in the form of a jigsaw puzzle and they'd obviously printed it first onto thick mutlilayered card glued only at the edges then used a press to die cut it. Solving it was made easier by the impression of the die-cut going through to the base of the card but it took me about fifteen minutes on a locked down Christmas morning so kept my attention far longer than the micely printed but ordinary card from the accountant so was a good piece of marketing.  

I was always rather sorry when Metcalfe stopped embossing their buidling sheets. It added cost but though I've used their embossed (using the term loosely)  papers I have no use for the current range.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Alder said:

"This looks interesting, just a little concerned about a seller in Greece and supplier from China, but at that price it may be worth the risk"

I found them by chance and have dealt with them two or three times, with no problems. They arrive quickly and cater for several scales, including dolls houses and the seller has nearly 20000 positives so no reason to worry.

i really like the look and qty to price it was a no brainer. Will see what turns Up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very fast delivery actually from Greece, so not sure where the China part came in on the Email description.

A nice bundle of A4 sheets, my only criticism would life would have been easier if they were landscape and not portrait orientation.

However the colouring is great, a nice mix and I think fairly close to what I need. I will make up some test walls in due course.

Now the interesting and clever part (it took me a couple of days to realise as I never looked at the back.)

IMG_7483.jpeg.052ea6c603f5584f20da6b722aa1d5c8.jpeg

It is textured as the photos shows. So when you look from the front side you get some feel rather than some photo papers that I dislike. However it wasn't until I turned it over that I realised the pattern doesn't match the bricks and is actually just wallpaper (which is what the ebay description says).

The great thing is you turn it over and as the wall print is so 'busy' you cannot tell from any normal viewing distance and you really have to stare to notice. 

IMG_7484.jpeg.42f8b8db6aa2b7bd60c654a6535260d5.jpeg

Thanks @Ben Alder for the recommendation.

Will post some wall pics when I get that far.

Edited by russellwar
  • Like 1

Interesting. Definitely a hobby business by the way it was packed and send but good to hear he offered the landscape ones. I never thought of it and have already posted +ve feedback. I need to look at the sizing in advance if I reorder and then would probably message in advance to be on the safe side

On 25/12/2020 at 19:43, ikcdab said:

Ian

Yes, agreed, I've built a four-foot long retaining wall just like that, with the optional ashlar stone version.

image.png.973a17af0297f95697fe898c86fd46cb.png