Extinct loco's we wish that had been saved.

• RMweb Gold

I've recently bought a Hornby Clan, 72008 Clan Macleod to run on my present day East Midlands Train Heckington layout.  In my happy little world, 72008 was saved from the gas axe and now runs happily on steam specials.  I've also ordered Hornby's W1 60800 with the idea of doing the same.  Before people cry "foul", my layout, I'm fat so I'm the fat controller, it's my train set so I'll play with it my way :jester:

I just know I'm opening a Hornet's nest here but are there any now extinct loco classes, both steam and diesel, had the opportunity to save instead of getting torched.  I'm thinking original loco's, not new builds or replicas.  I was looking at Bachmann's 10000 and 10001 recently and thinking, hummmm :scratchhead:.  Over to you lot, Merry Christmas :P.

Edited by jools1959
Rephrase

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I just know I'm opening a Hornet's nest here but are there any extinct loco's both steam and diesel that managed to avoid getting torched.  I'm thinking original loco's, not new builds or replicas. 

I’m confused. Surely none of the locos that “managed to avoid getting torched” are extinct. Or am I missing something? 

If we are including diesels I would like to have seen D6319 preserved instead of being cut by mistake.

I remember members of the class passing near our house on their way to and from Chard Junction with milk trains

cheers 

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

I’m confused. Surely none of the locos that “managed to avoid getting torched” are extinct. Or am I missing something? 

It’s kind of a wish list that had the opportunity been there, what loco classes that are now extinct would you like to see running again?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Rivercider said:

If we are including diesels I would like to have seen D6319 preserved instead of being cut by mistake.

I remember members of the class passing near our house on their way to and from Chard Junction with milk trains

cheers 

Same here but then we’d probably have lost 821.  There’s also the lost opportunity of D601 and D6122 which in retrospect were a mess, but not beyond saving, even if just cosmetically.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Same here but then we’d probably have lost 821.  There’s also the lost opportunity of D601 and D6122 which in retrospect were a mess, but not beyond saving, even if just cosmetically.

Well I would take both 6319 and 821 of course. Though given a completely free choice 6333 was the one I remember most often,

cheers

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

It’s kind of a wish list that had the opportunity been there, what loco classes that are now extinct would you like to see running again?

I think you're missing the mistake being highlighted.

“managed to avoid getting torched” 

So did they get torched or did they avoid it?

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Well I would take both 6319 and 821 of course. Though given a completely free choice 6333 was the one I remember most often,

cheers

If I had to choose I’d take 6319 as 832 would keep the warship flag flying. 

In fact there is a sub-thread in the making here. 

I’d trade one less 37 47 50 etc for a 16 21 22 etc. Hell, I’d trade them two or three for one! And I love 37s 50s etc.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think you're missing the mistake being highlighted.

“managed to avoid getting torched” 

So did they get torched or did they avoid it?

Well there are locos that were"saved" from  Gertie but were never really preserved , they either just rotted away or were canibalised.

Wnat I'd have liked to have seen preserved were a darn sight more examples of French mainline steam. They included some magnificent machines but very few remain. Apart from locos preserved "cold" in various museums, where we are fortunate to have hundreds of main line steam locos, from our closest neghbour there probably aren't more than a dozen or so main line steam locos in working order at any one time and most heritage lines have to make do with one or two ex industrial locos. North American built 141Rs and British built 140Cs are fairly well represented- they were the country's last working main line steam locos,  but there is just one 241P and a handful of Pacifics.  I'd love to be able to see other examples of the hundreds of Etat Pacifics but there is only 231G558 (my avatar) and that was only preserved through a lucky chance of fate.  

• Agree 4

What would I have liked to have seen preserved that wasn't?

More Broad Gauge locos (esp the two Churchward scrapped - albeit that we have a replica of one).

GWR 101 (as it was my first model loco)

GWR 1401 (the 14XX in The Titfield Thunderbolt).

An LBSC E2

Vale of Rheidol 0-4-2T 'Rheidol'

A Class 304 EMU - very much the background to my childhood

(And I wish that the loco I was briefly involved in trying to preserve had a more secure future). 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, Wickham Green too said:

......... definitely beyond saving.

50.11.jpg

That was in 1980 though. I saw both Ark Royal and D6122 in the 1970s and there wasn't that much wrong with them. Yes they had probably been stripped internally and had parts taken by souvenir hunters, but were restorable. Cosmetically at least.

Just before scrapping. Sorry, can't find copyright details.

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Well there are locos that were"saved" from  Gertie but were never really preserved , they either just rotted away or were canibalised.

I don't think anyone is reading the OP....

but are there any extinct loco's both steam and diesel that managed to avoid getting torched.  

:scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

D601 & D6122 looked a little better 1/10/77 - the former was cut 24/6/80 and I think D6122 went a little earlier ............................... but then this is a thread about STEAM locos so I'll vote for a chunky great tank loco that would have been useful on todays - that is anything except THIS 'orrible year's - heritage railways : the Southern 'W'. ( Yes extinct - 'cos they didn't manage to avoid getting torched.)

24.21x.jpg

• Like 2

Perhaps the OP should read "Are there any extinct locos both steam and diesel that you wish had avoided getting torched?" There are also some electric locos that could have been saved; I would have liked to see Raven's one-off NE express loco given a run.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

21 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't think anyone is reading the OP....

:scratchhead:

How about that engine that fell into a hole? Isn't it still there? Or what about those engines in New Zealand used as river banks. Extinct, but intact.