Extinct loco's we wish that had been saved.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

LNER P2, probably 2001, maybe 2003. Not cut up by the scrapyard of course, but by one of the worst CMEs of the 20th century ;)

He did however produce some worthwhile locos, such as the B1 and a good new standard boiler (100A) even if the rebuilt P2s were an aesthetic disaster.

They laid the ground for his successor who IMHO produced some locos as good as anything mainstream from HNG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Choices of torched locos that should have been saved?

How about the:

MRs Yankees?

GWR Frenchman (original condition)

GER Decapod (original condition before rebuild as 0-8-0)

MR Lickey Banker

More GWR outside framed locos. (Tank & Tender)

GWR County (Tender & tank version)

It's obvious what the OP meant, the pedantry over the typo is unnecessary. 

I'm rather fond of dock tanks and it would have been nice if either one of the GWR 1101s or the Deeley 1528 tanks on the Midland had made it, especially as the latter lasted so late. Both would be pretty rubbish on most preserved lines though- and at least we've got 1363, which really shouldn't have survived...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

How about: the first steam rail locomotive, and the first internal-combustion powered rail locomotive?

The first is well-known, if gone, but the second would be a greater challenge because it isn't by any means certain what is was.

The first truly viable electric locomotive is preserved, but there were predecessor battery-electrics that would have been worth keeping, notably Davidsons of 1842.

With respect to a lot of the other suggestions, few of them represent truly major leaps in technology, or "the very highest of their kind".

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just for a bit of variety, how about some Great Eastern Railway locos of classes C53 (later LNER J70) and G15 (Later LNER Y6)?

If anyone were to broaden the topic slightly, how about some railcars - like a GWR twin AEC railcar set (assuming they could have been kept from going up in flames) or, perhaps, even the NER / LNER petrol powered inspection railcars. With its unusual roof and roof mounted radiators, #3769 (later #23769) could have looked amazing, either on a preservation line or in a museum.

For various reasons, it's highly unlikely that we would ever see replicas built of any of these - although I'm sure that something built to look similar would probably cause heads to turn.

Huw.

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

What would I have liked to have seen preserved that wasn't?

More Broad Gauge locos (esp the two Churchward scrapped - albeit that we have a replica of one).

GWR 101 (as it was my first model loco)

GWR 1401 (the 14XX in The Titfield Thunderbolt).

An LBSC E2

Vale of Rheidol 0-4-2T 'Rheidol'

A Class 304 EMU - very much the background to my childhood

(And I wish that the loco I was briefly involved in trying to preserve had a more secure future). 

A class 304. I was brought up in Macclesfield and all my trips to Manchester and Stoke involved a 304 with its bouncy seats, wooden panelled  windows and doors and those heaters that burned the skin off your calves!  One was preserved but the vandals destroyed it and it was cut not long after. Nearest survivor is a 308 driving trailer but the interior is totally different. 

Ironic that most of the Thomas characters have real life survivor equivalents but the lead character is extinct! Mind you, if an E2 had survived it may have been converted into a full size Thomas like the Hornby 1/76 version!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

D601 & D6122 looked a little better 1/10/77 - the former was cut 24/6/80 and I think D6122 went a little earlier ............................... but then this is a thread about STEAM locos so I'll vote for a chunky great tank loco that would have been useful on todays - that is anything except THIS 'orrible year's - heritage railways : the Southern 'W'. ( Yes extinct - 'cos they didn't manage to avoid getting torched.)

24.21x.jpg

No, it’s about all UK loco’s, both steam and diesel, plus units if that floats your boat.

To clarify this thread, and to stop Steamport Southport banging on.  It’s a hypothetical question, IF the opportunity to save a loco from a now extinct class (steam or diesel), units also, which one would you have saved?

Not really a difficult question.

• Agree 1

Just now, brianusa said:

I rather think that if those that are newbuilds were saved originally, a lot of money would have been saved also!  But sadly many classes were extinct by the time the preservation movement came about.

However those originals would now be well past their lifespan.

Worth bearing in mind the newest locomotives built by BR are now over sixty years old. Many older locomotives are probably going to get one or two more overhauls and that's it. They're going to be stuffed and mounted.

Already happening now with 60009. If it had another overhaul the estimated cost is over £1 million. You could build a new one for that.

Many people on here have probably been behind a steam locomotive that will almost certainly never work again. 30841 Greene King.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/30841-sr-841-br-30841/

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Already happening now with 60009. If it had another overhaul the estimated cost is over £1 million. You could build a new one for that.

Many people on here have probably been behind a steam locomotive that will almost certainly never work again. 30841 Greene King.

It would cost considerably more than £1 million to build a new A4.  The NRM plowed over £4 million into A3 Flying Scotsman and that was just a overhaul, I believe that the total build costs for a P2 will exceed that.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Choices of torched locos that should have been saved?

How about the:

MRs Yankees?

GWR Frenchman (original condition)

GER Decapod (original condition before rebuild as 0-8-0)

MR Lickey Banker

More GWR outside framed locos. (Tank & Tender)

GWR County (Tender & tank version)

With regards to the Frenchmen, go to https://www.martynbane.co.uk/2003Trips/AlsaceLorraine/museum2.htm
and look closely at Nord 2.670.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A 20th century LNWR express passenger locomotive - a Claughton or George V would be my choice. Fortunately one of the latter  is being built.

A pre-grouping large passenger tank, especially a Baltic - Brighton, Furness, GSWR, L&Y or Tilbury. 

And an oddity - the 3ft gauge 2-cylinder compunds that worked various lines in Northern Ireland

110_train_which_has_stopped_on_tracks_(13714893334).jpg.33d0b4d5b533dd2be3cb988a379c0afe.jpg

Edited by Andy Kirkham

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Easy, ones  from the LMS a ... Stanier 2-6-4 (2 cylinder)  ...

I’d rather have a Fairburn. I knew them better, there were more of them than there were Stanier 2-cylinders, and there is already a Stanier 2-6-4T preserved, although it is a 3-cylinder.

How about a member of the first LNER standard class to be built, the last LNER class to remain intact, and a class of which a couple of members were the last Gresley-designed locos to remain in BR service - the J38s?

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

However those originals would now be well past their lifespan.

Worth bearing in mind the newest locomotives built by BR are now over sixty years old. Many older locomotives are probably going to get one or two more overhauls and that's it. They're going to be stuffed and mounted.

It's a bit smoke and mirrors to say 841 was scrapped and 825 saved.    Some say the number goes with the frames but the first GWR Dukedog Tre Pol and Pen took the Duke name and number despite using the frames from a Bulldog....

I reckon with the big locos they should have taken a lead from the Ffestiniog "Livingstone Thompson" which is principally left over bits from earlier Fairlie rebuilds.  For instance they could have built a stuffed Frying Scotchman  for static display  from the left over worn out bits from 4472's repeated rebuilds.