Extinct loco's we wish that had been saved.

• TravisM changed the title to Extinct loco's we wish that had been saved.

Didn’t an LBSCR K class get within an inch of being preserved by the bluebell. But they ha for plough money into saving the line. So they made the difficult choice and the K class went to the great railway in the sky. 
A K class would be my personal choice to save. As they are one of the best looking moguls to run in the UK. 

Big James

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Being a modern image man I wouldn’t recognise most of the locos mentioned herein if they ran me over, and I feel a bit like that person at a party who clearly doesn’t belong while everyone sniggers about my answers, like Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blond. Anyway... I’ll say the unrebuilt W1 and Bulleid Leader, both for their aesthetic oddity as much as their engineering.

Cheating a bit, but it’s a travesty that the US saved only one Southern Pacific AC12 cab forward, and that’ll never run.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

Cheating a bit, but it’s a travesty that the US saved only one Southern Pacific AC12 cab forward, and that’ll never run.  

There were a few other classes of cab-forward which are even less likely to run again than 4294. Would have been nice if one of those had made it.

For me the class 22 is the loco I would most like to see running and there is still hope that one day I might. It would also be great to see more late Victorian locos - the ones that are around have something special. The Caledonian 828 for instance is a wonderful loco to see in action, I'm sure others of the same era would be wonderful too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris M said:

The Caledonian 828 for instance is a wonderful loco to see in action, I'm sure others of the same era would be wonderful too.

For those who are unaware of a relatively recent relevant story :(
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3845
https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tales/belgiumtales01.htm

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

One or both of the LMS / BR 'Twins', one of which was dumped round the back of Willesden TMD until c.1966....

TWINS 10001.jpg

Surprised it took so long for these to make the list

The Southern trio and the fell loco would also be nice to still have around 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

One or both of the LMS / BR 'Twins', one of which was dumped round the back of Willesden TMD until c.1966....

TWINS 10001.jpg

It was 10001 as its slightly older sister was at Derby Works together with 10201-3

Edited by Arun Sharma
no apostrophe reqd!
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, russ p said:
53 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Surprised it took so long for these to make the list

Except they were mentioned in the OP:

18 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I was looking at Bachmann's 10000 and 10001 recently and thinking, hummmm :scratchhead:.  Over to you lot, Merry Christmas :P.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, David Bell said:

North British Atlantic

Yes, superb looking locos - the one put aside by the LNER for preservation was another unfortunate casualty of WW2.

Only a small non-standard class (22 locos)  so they were the first LNER atlantics to go.

The other LNER atlantics classes were more numerous and/or had boilers common with other classes (e.g. the GCR C4 and C5s had the same boiler type as the very numerous 04 and ROD 2-8-0s.

12 hours ago, njee20 said:

Sadly, North America is just a travesty period when it comes to saving old railway stuff never mind attempting to have any of it operate.

And while all of this is a bit of holiday fun, perhaps people should also contemplate not just the stuff that didn't get saved but the existing "saved" stuff that is slowly rotting/rusting away because there is no money to keep it covered and safe let alone restore it, and then the stuff now and in the near future being retired which is also unlikely to be saved unless people step forward with the space and money.

So support the existing and any new efforts that are created with goals of saving the railway heritage, because it all needs volunteers and money now and going forward.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

North British Atlantic 

To be fair while 9875 Midlothian didn’t survive one NBR Atlantic tender frame does as it was modified and used for fuel oil storage in Cambridge area. Part of early LNER shunter project. 

Surfaced a few years ago and now with SRPS. 

Following article in NBR Study Group Journal quite a few bits of them survived for a number of years in alternative use at Cowlairs eg: ARP water tank, wheeled frame as boiler carrier 

P1000965.jpg

Edited by DOCJACOB
found image

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Sadly, North America is just a travesty period when it comes to saving old railway stuff never mind attempting to have any of it operate.

Yes it’s curious (or perhaps not) how little sentimentality there is in the US on stuff like that. I wonder if it’s because of a lack of national heritage, there just isn’t a ‘preservation’ mindset.