SECR 46' birdcage stock

hayfield

A recent eBay find, what I think is a a 46' SECR birdcage Brake 3rd? No makers name on the etches but the writing on the chassis looks a bit like its an old Mallard kit?

1043875187_264(2).jpeg.312914f6936e5240667e5ddb9406c3e8.jpeg1797117974_265(2).jpeg.054ca92df94dce823e180c346584cfc0.jpeg

Nicely made but incomplete, been looking for a plan without luck, think I will have to have a chat with Dave at Roxey Mouldings about grab handles and castings

1919559337_266(2).jpeg.02da52d9146ee7e3bc6a417db48961c1.jpeg

Needs a good clean and a few parts, think the underframes need queen posts, time to learn how to use my lathe. 

Any suggestions would be of assistance

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

D.145 3-comp brake third by the look of it - drawing on p62 of Gould's SECR bogie carriages. Built 1900, some lasted into BR service, and several became departmental tool vans - one lasting until the late 60s in Western Region S&T service. 

• hayfield changed the title to SECR 46' birdcage stock

Jack

Thanks, I need a plan, thought about buying a coach book, the reasonably priced one does not have the smaller coaches in, the dearer one does but is too expensive for one coach. I think its an old Blacksmith coach and these have vanished into the Cooper Craft Black Hole

I will have a chat with Dave Hamersley at Roxey Mouldings, if they take the Fox bogies I have them, I am guessing I have the underframe castings, and probably the roof castings, I need a roof and hopefully Dave will sort me out with one and some hand rails. 

I have a few bits of track which need attention first and a couple of locos, I need a kit of parts first. I have quite a lot of bits, just need to find what I have not

If anyone has a plan even if its for another coach within the shorter series it would be most helpful

• Like 1

To accompany this coach whilst perhaps these coaches were never seen together I found on eBay an unbuilt Branchlines (Maunsell D418 rebuild) 58' lavatory brake composite coach kit, etched brass sides, ends and underframe, wooden roof and a pair of Ratio bogies and some Ratio coach seats. Cost £19 inc postage so not much of an issue in replacing the bogies (I have several sets of SR steam coach bogies). At least it will give me a 2 coach southern panelled set.

Just won a loco for the coaches, An unbuilt but old DJH LSWR 0395 0-6-0 loco, seems to have both an old style brass bar chassis and K's plastic spoked D shaped axle wheels. These kits fetch reasonable (for the seller) prices owing to not being available new anymore, still much less that a new DJH tender loco kit without wheels

I noticed it had a wheelbase of 8' x 8'6", I have a spare Southeastern & a Wills Finecast 202 chassis, they nearly fit. Seemingly a bit short at the front and a bit long at the rear, but far better than the brass bar chassis, plus I have plenty of Romford drivers. I am building it to EM standards, so may have to fall back on a set of Gibson drivers

I guess as usual someone on our favourite auction site will relieve me of both the K's wheels and the chassis, especially as the latter was used with a lot of LMS locos, this will soften the purchase price

4 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

That's a nice kit you've got going there! I just missed out on a 45' (I think, I can't quite recall) Birdcage brake myself yesterday, which is a shame as it was the diagram I needed to complete a coach set.

Try Worsley Works. They do most of the types for the Trio sets. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Hi Hayfield,

That's a nice kit you've got going there! I just missed out on a 45' (I think, I can't quite recall) Birdcage brake myself yesterday, which is a shame as it was the diagram I needed to complete a coach set. Though you say the books are expensive for one carriage, and I definitely agree, they're always worth a read and almost certainly lead to you finding ways to model more prototypes. It's how I've wound up with so many sets in my long-term modelling list.

Your soldering looks very neat, too - I'm jealous. It's the one thing I'm not confident on yet. Will you be upgrading to sprung buffers or sticking with the enclosed cast brass ones? 

As for bogies, I raised this question yesterday in my own workbench thread and it seems, for now, the only realistic option for SECR bogies is to use the Roxey kit if you want an alternative. I found the Blacksmith/Mallard bogies very flimsy myself, so I may replace them in time. 

What livery will you be settling on? 

I can't wait to see more!

- Alex 

I bought a Branchlines 58' kit last week, D418 Maunsell rebuild, they supplied plastic Ratio bogies in it. I will put Fox cast bogies under both, it came pre built but missing quite a few parts. I guess if I run both together they will be in SR green, but if I find more they may go pre grouped livery

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson
On 09/01/2021 at 16:23, hayfield said:

Just won a loco for the coaches, An unbuilt but old DJH LSWR 0395 0-6-0 loco, seems to have both an old style brass bar chassis and K's plastic spoked D shaped axle wheels. These kits fetch reasonable (for the seller) prices owing to not being available new anymore, still much less that a new DJH tender loco kit without wheels

I have a spare set of profiled frames for the 0395 and will have a number of left over pieces when the build is complete. Try this link for an album of prototype images and other 0395 snippets.

Cheers and Stay Safe