New Hornby arrivals

Mel_H

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

I did ask Rails about this and they said: “ We had a small allocation of pecketts on a back order from another supplier (not Hornby). ”

So I suspect these have come via a wholesaler of Hornby products. 

I think you mean the wholesaler - there's only the one (unless Hornby have changed things) and that concern has long been known for supplying people who Hornby didn't supply such as people without proper retail premises (not that I include Rails in that category of course).

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think you mean the wholesaler

My understanding is that the wholesaler hasn't been supplied for a year or so. It gives the direct account holders more sustainability.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think you mean the wholesaler - there's only the one (unless Hornby have changed things) and that concern has long been known for supplying people who Hornby didn't supply such as people without proper retail premises (not that I include Rails in that category of course).

They have changed as Andy says. Early last year, Hornby moved everyone to dealing direct. Ironically, I was rung up and told this while we were reporting on the Bachmann Collectors club event. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, centraltrains said:

Off topic but probably doesn't justify a new thread, how are Amazon continuing to sell Hornby stock?

Because it is legit bricks and mortar dealers who are doing the selling. I nearly bought a loco from Amazon - until I notice the ridiculous postage. I then bought the same model from the same dealer, direct, but with sensible postage costs. 

1 minute ago, centraltrains said:

Off topic but probably doesn't justify a new thread, how are Amazon continuing to sell Hornby stock?

It's usually via The Hornby Store.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R1255M-Flying-Scotsman-Train/dp/B08485CDVW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=6QWT78UD1H2Z&dchild=1&keywords=Hornby+train+set&qid=1609614395&sprefix=Hornby%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Hornby/page/42AC0C70-1D10-41C5-99F4-64CEA8B4928A?ref_=ast_bln

Others will be retail outlets with a deal with Hornby.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/12/2020 at 12:47, AY Mod said:

My understanding is that the wholesaler hasn't been supplied for a year or so. It gives the direct account holders more sustainability.

On 26/12/2020 at 12:53, Phil Parker said:

They have changed as Andy says. Early last year, Hornby moved everyone to dealing direct. Ironically, I was rung up and told this while we were reporting on the Bachmann Collectors club event. 

That is excellent news as it means the supply to retail undercutters working out of their front rooms has been cut-off at last.  It was long a major bone of contention with the retail trade that they could be undersold by someone who didn't have a retail premises and the overheads but was able to obtain goods at greater discount level from the wholesaler than Hornby was giving to its direct retail customers.

An excellent move by Hornby for the retail trade and a pity in many respects that it wasn't made more widely know when it took place as it must have been good PR for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That is excellent news as it means the supply to retail undercutters working out of their front rooms has been cut-off at last.  It was long a major bone of contention with the retail trade that they could be undersold by someone who didn't have a retail premises and the overheads but was able to obtain goods at greater discount level from the wholesaler than Hornby was giving to its direct retail customers.

An excellent move by Hornby for the retail trade and a pity in many respects that it wasn't made more widely know when it took place as it must have been good PR for them.

All these gifts by Hornby to the retail trade...

At some point Hornby's going to ask for something back.

That’ll be an interesting day here.

• Funny 1