Hornby R3883 GBRf 50049 blue - too light?

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Having received a GBRf 50049 today via Santa- is it me, or does the blue look a bit light?

The box illustration (and I know it's only artwork) appears to be nearer my perception of the correct shade.

I presume 50007 is the same shade for those that have both?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes both 50s are the same colour. The blue is totally wrong. The orange is not right either to dull. I have 049 as well going for a full respray in the new year. All of hornbys gbrf livery colours are wrong on all locos so I was not surprise. If Hornby can not produce the livery properly then don’t do it in my opinion. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

from side on its lighter, but borderline acceptable

5DF44AA4-182E-4C9F-A1E2-D6B47AFC9857.jpeg.a5c3c97b38b948b1807511296b24b6a7.jpeg

from above it stands out a like neon...

815EB512-C318-4115-8BE8-A6D1BE027628.jpeg.7e424f0369be6e59cf9d08f182ec5a21.jpeg

Fyi currently working on fitting a Bachmann 66709 to a Hattons chassis... requires you to do some headlight mods, and shaving off 4 grooves by each cab door, and the screw holes on the roof, tight fit but looks like it will work easy enough and extend the lives of a few of my select Bachmann class 66’s whilst giving me benefit of the fantastically detailed chassis, which after disposing of the excess Bachmann chassis and Hattons body, could be at quite an affordable price.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Fyi on the class 50’s I’m finding myself with a bit of spot the difference...

73963112-A333-4E63-B30E-BA607B1EFD26.jpeg.d41567792c6e35486435683f78b356f6.jpeg

anyone else have 2 eth jumpers on 50049, but 4 on 50007, and only 1 set of snowploughs on 049 but none on 007 ?

image.jpg.169ee07e0bb02ca8ab87eac3e45831aa.jpg

one of mine is missing a footstep (049) am I right to assume this is an error, not an 049 specific detail ?

image.jpg.02b57ee61324dbb6322a5db1140ea3cf.jpg

EFDF2787-A9DE-4095-884A-F515DF361FF1.jpeg.73ec3df1992eff94b34b1ce96fa303d7.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

Yes it is too light as far as I'm as I'm concerned. Doesn't look right with other GBRf locos. Is it wrong enough for Hornby  to acknowledge and issue replacement bodyshells?

Cheers

Shane

I cant see it happening myself, replacing shells isn't done for cosmetic reasons, but for commercial ones.

When the NR HST, Class 60 were mis printed, and wrong tender used on 34050 it reduced sales or introduced high returns. 
These 50”s have sold out and are rapidly disappearing.

i’d say they've got away with it, but Hornby does seem to have a hard time when it comes to Blue on post 1994 diesels.. the CS 92, CS 67 seemed off too.

sadly its just another example of Hornby doesn't care about anything but chimneys.

Though the cosmetics like eth cables / ploughs and buffers i’d imagine would be dealt with on a case by case basis.

one of the twilight zone highlights of 2019.. seeing a pair of GBRF 50’s at Waterloo, being shunt released by a Large Logo blue 66... kind of technology delivered in reverse.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wonder if you could be clever and mask up then laquer the blue on them with a slight tint to it to darken the blue down.

theyd look better hit with some gloss anyway

having looked at one in the flesh in a shop, its not as bad in person, but it deffo is lighter than it should be.

Edited by Erixtar1992
  • Like 1

This poor chap sold his repainted ones on ebay in anticipation of the (now incorrect) Hornby ones.

Lesson 1. Do not dispose of yoir existing item until you are sure the new one is better!! I feel very sorry for him as he either wasted his own efforts in repainting or soent considerable money on a professional job....

Lesson 2. Hornby get your colours right!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps GBRF should enquire, it is after-all their  livery being mis-represented, perhaps theres some terms about using their livery accurately to portray their brand in a positive light.

unless everyone wraps up and returns it, its unlikely they will change it. Given how popular this pair is, I suspect many wont want to.

I bet this error wont ever happen on the Coronation Scot set.

Hornby would do well to engage with some modellers interested in the 1980-2020 scene, in the same way they do with steam era, it is afterall their revenue they should be protecting.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

sadly its just another example of Hornby doesn't care about anything but chimneys.

LOL - what forum have you been reading that you have missed the angst ridden wailing about BR Green, maroon, ski jump foot plates and 13 spoke pony wheels to name but a few of the ‘issues’ us kettle lovers have to put up with? 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I cant see it happening myself, replacing shells isn't done for cosmetic reasons, but for commercial ones.

When the NR HST, Class 60 were mis printed, and wrong tender used on 34050 it reduced sales or introduced high returns. 

i’d say they've got away with it, but Hornby does seem to have a hard time when it comes to Blue on post 1994 diesels.. the CS 92, CS 67 seemed off too.

Though the cosmetics like eth cables / ploughs and buffers i’d imagine would be dealt with on a case by case basis.

one of the twilight zone highlights of 2019.. seeing a pair of GBRF 50’s at Waterloo, being shunt released by a Large Logo blue 66... kind of technology delivered in reverse.

FGW Blue is another one they seem to struggle (quite badly) with, with each batch being shades different. I think the worst offender is the purple 08! Incidentally, this almost looks like FGW Blue too, so perhaps they've either had some left over or about to produce more FGW based models I wonder. 

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

They probably sold as "sight unseen" as most models are these says, such is our mail order world at the moment.

Mine was never opened between purchase and a couple of days ago so was not fully aware of how bad the colour mismatch is.

I'm contemplating doing some modelling...............................

(I have 50007 in it's previous guise - BR blue - so may treat that to a repaint at the same time)

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, 45568 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InurMp2Wmls&feature=emb_rel_end

Yet looking at this video, the colour doesn't seem too bad?

Peter C.

He says around the 3 minute mark:

"it should be dark blue, as per the picture behind". And then seems to not go any further with the topic.

The images of the box in the video look darker than the real thing (box that is), so I presume the same can be said of his model in the same footage.

• RMweb Premium

The more I've looked at these, the more the colour has bothered me !

I have some GBRf Blue paint, so I painted half of the inside of the roof panel, just to see the difference.

Pic taken while paint still wet, and half in light, half in shadow.

It's only a single brush painted layer, so another coat would exaggerate the difference.

20201228_092830.jpg.bd2a110eafcb50fc63a3c4c6a8e107ab.jpg

I think it's enough to convince me to repaint that aspect of the livery though !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Especially when my pair are likely to earn their keep on stock transfer moves, using Porterbrook livery Barrier Vehicles.

Don't want them to look the same colour !

1741114935_IMG_24538(2).JPG.28a2b404d93430aecc20febb0e455cb8.JPG

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/12/2020 at 13:08, adb968008 said:

Perhaps GBRF should enquire, it is after-all their  livery being mis-represented, perhaps theres some terms about using their livery accurately to portray their brand in a positive light.

unless everyone wraps up and returns it, its unlikely they will change it. Given how popular this pair is, I suspect many wont want to.

I bet this error wont ever happen on the Coronation Scot set.

Hornby would do well to engage with some modellers interested in the 1980-2020 scene, in the same way they do with steam era, it is afterall their revenue they should be protecting.

Good idea

Edited by cambo74
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/12/2020 at 13:08, adb968008 said:

There's a society for that..........

Having said that. Hornby aren't the first or last to contact societies and it can backfire - tries to remember which loco/livery/detail tripped up one of the major manufacturers (Bachmann?), when they got some duff info via a society member.

The danger in consulting in multiple sources (e.g. societies) is that it then ends up being designed by a committee.

They can't win, but even basic photo research - never mind any specific colour matching to specs - shows these GB50s as just plainly too light.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There's a society for that..........

Having said that. Hornby aren't the first or last to contact societies and it can backfire - tries to remember which loco/livery/detail tripped up one of the major manufacturers (Bachmann?), when they got some duff info via a society member.

The danger in consulting in multiple sources (e.g. societies) is that it then ends up being designed by a committee.

They can't win, but even basic photo research - never mind any specific colour matching to specs - shows these GB50s as just plainly too light.

Wasn't it Oxford with the Mk3 Coaches ..... the ScotRail flavour .... the so called 'expert' told them the wrong colours ...