Hornby R3883 GBRf 50049 blue - too light?

newbryford

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cambo74 said:

Wasn't it Oxford with the Mk3 Coaches ..... the ScotRail flavour .... the so called 'expert' told them the wrong colours ...

Nope - the one I'm thinking of was a few years back.

Having been a boy of the 80's Class 50s are my favourite class from that era and I have a good fleet.  Whilst I would dearly like a GBRf pair I am waiting for a proper hoover, in the right colours.......

As I bow towards the land of Guinness.........Keeping the faith - don't let me down!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’m always wary when dismissing liveries as I think colours are subjective as they subject the vagaries of light.  I think writing to Hornby now about the wrong shade is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’m always wary when dismissing liveries as I think colours are subjective as they subject the vagaries of light.  I think writing to Hornby now about the wrong shade is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

No matter what light it is viewed in it is just plain wrong.

But - as nobody in the public domain had seen that the blue is incorrect, Hornby then chucked out the 50 and closed the same door behind themselves.........

• RMweb Premium
On 18/01/2021 at 17:27, newbryford said:

No matter what light it is viewed in it is just plain wrong.

But - as nobody in the public domain had seen that the blue is incorrect, Hornby then chucked out the 50 and closed the same door behind themselves.........

And now having seen pictures of the GBRf 73........ not that I'd be buying one as it's wrong in many more ways.

They must have bought a lot of paint of the incorrect shade.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Bet you they wont cut their losses and correct the colour for the 2021 GBRf class 60.

I didnt buy the 50s since the blue is so bad, nor will i buy the 60 is its the same.

And let's see if the 20 is the same.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear !!

I originally thought I could live with the Blue, but changed my mind.

I thought I could live with the Orange, but having put the first decal on the side, I don't think I can......

20210123_095459.jpg.1602360eda0492f4de01f90375f1268c.jpg

I've got more faith in Steve at Railtec getting the colour right, than I have in Hornby doing so !!

This pic compares the body colour, the decals. & a paint sample of the Railmatch version of the Orange.

20210123_095354.jpg.78f42c24f72466782ba6101686625150.jpg

Think I'm going to have to repaint the Orange too. :angry:

At least that will give more contrast between the Orange side & the warning panel Yellow (which IMO is too dark!!)

Cheers,

Phil.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 14/01/2021 at 22:16, newbryford said:

Hornby have been contacted regarding the blue - I am awaiting their reply.

Still waiting...... I guess they're too busy running around fitting a top headlight to a HST power car

11 weeks now.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 26/03/2021 at 14:42, newbryford said:

Still waiting...... I guess they're too busy running around fitting a top headlight to a HST power car

11 weeks now.

Your awaiting there stock response, "The colour is correct and we are sorry that you feel that it is not correct"

On a side note has anyone had anyone dodgy circuit board in there GBRF 50? Now I've fitted a sound decoder in my pair one of them doesn't want to function correctly. I'm having lighting issues :blackeye:

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, XChris said:

Your awaiting there stock response, "The colour is correct and we are sorry that you feel that it is not correct"

On a side note has anyone had anyone dodgy circuit board in there GBRF 50? Now I've fitted a sound decoder in my pair one of them doesn't want to function correctly. I'm having lighting issues :blackeye:

I had the stock response of 

"what serial number/where did you buy?" etc. 

Information sent 11 12 weeks ago

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, newbryford said:

I had the stock response of 

"what serial number/where did you buy?" etc. 

Information sent 11 12 weeks ago

Serial number ?

ive been wishing model companies would do this for years... I just bought a washing machine that costs less than a Bachmann EMU, and to get the warranty, I have to register it, even though in 5 years it will break and end up in a skip, where as my EMU I expect to be worth at least half its price.. yet no one cares what it is I bought or if any warranty exists then.

Its not hard.. Piko gives a serial number on all its locos... basically catalog number + a sequential number.. I keep a record of it for insurance purposes as Ive never had a faulty new European model to need a warranty.

Whats the difference between a washing machine and a model inside.. not much, its a motor, with an armature, brushes turning a shaft with a gear that turns a wheel.. just ones bigger, higher voltage and cleans up the mess made by the smaller lower voltage one.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally received a reply from Hornby last week regarding the missing ploughs/detailing and colour issues.

A detailing pack turned up a day or two later as promised.

They are "double checking" about the shade of blue.

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Finally received a reply from Hornby last week regarding the missing ploughs/detailing and colour issues.

A detailing pack turned up a day or two later as promised.

Surprised it took that long - they were a lot speedier with the variety of 31 issues I had 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

No doubt they'll find that it's about as close to the correct colour as their shade of FGW Purple is !! :rolleyes:

Hasn't stopped them from selling, so I can't imagine any action being taken.

Cheers,

Phil.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2021 at 09:35, Phil Mc said:

No doubt they'll find that it's about as close to the correct colour as their shade of FGW Purple is !! :rolleyes:

Hasn't stopped them from selling, so I can't imagine any action being taken.

Cheers,

Phil.

I did receive this from them a couple of weeks ago.

"The GBRf Class 50s livery has been changed going forward" , but the trail seems to have gone cold to my follow up questions.

Their email/customer service is distinctly lacking.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

"The GBRf Class 50s livery has been changed going forward"

Does this suggest they will do a re-run of the livery ?

I’d be very surprised if they do, even now 007 has 034 on one side instead of 014, so would technically be a different livery version.

If they did a model of 007 with the colours corrected, they’d have to do some more 049’s, as mixing models from both batches would look ridiculous !!

Does suggest the forthcoming class 60 might now be produced in the correct colours though, so it was worth highlighting the issue with the 50’s !

Cheers,

Phil.