Hornby R3883 GBRf 50049 blue - too light?

newbryford

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

Does this suggest they will do a re-run of the livery ?

I’d be very surprised if they do, even now 007 has 034 on one side instead of 014, so would technically be a different livery version.

If they did a model of 007 with the colours corrected, they’d have to do some more 049’s, as mixing models from both batches would look ridiculous !!

Does suggest the forthcoming class 60 might now be produced in the correct colours though, so it was worth highlighting the issue with the 50’s !

Cheers,

Phil.

I have asked what they meant by their statement regarding 50s, but still awaiting a reply 3 weeks on. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/08/2021 at 10:46, newbryford said:

I have asked what they meant by their statement regarding 50s, but still awaiting a reply 3 weeks on. 

This debacle started back in January and they've now not even the courtesy to reply to three emails since July.

Sorry Andy Y for the Trip Advisor type comment, I'm not normally a grumpy person, but Hornby's customer service is distinctly lacking.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

This debacle started back in January and they've now not even the courtesy to reply to three emails since July.

Sorry Andy Y for the Trip Advisor type comment, I'm not normally a grumpy person, but Hornby's customer service is distinctly lacking.

There really does seem to be an attitude of "Here's your model, now take it whether you like it or not" from Hornby these days, which of course is rather sad - Particularly as we've gone from the promising signs of preview models shown in the Engine Shed blog. And Hornby, if you are reading this, it's probably not such a good idea to post a photo of a pretty poorly coloured HST power car in front of the real thing, just showing how badly off the BR Blue on the model is! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, surfsup said:

There really does seem to be an attitude of "Here's your model, now take it whether you like it or not" from Hornby these days, which of course is rather sad - Particularly as we've gone from the promising signs of preview models shown in the Engine Shed blog. And Hornby, if you are reading this, it's probably not such a good idea to post a photo of a pretty poorly coloured HST power car in front of the real thing, just showing how badly off the BR Blue on the model is! 

An email direct from SK means that I'll be purchasing some GBRF blue and orange paint along with suitable decals. Not an ideal resolution, but hey ho - I'll have to take what I'm given.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, newbryford said:

An email direct from SK means that I'll be purchasing some GBRF blue and orange paint along with suitable decals. Not an ideal resolution, but hey ho - I'll have to take what I'm given.

By the sounds of it you may as well have just bought a used class 50 in any livery for probably 1/2 the price of what you paid for the GB livery one and repainted it!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, big jim said:

By the sounds of it you may as well have just bought a used class 50 in any livery for probably 1/2 the price of what you paid for the GB livery one and repainted it!

Hindsight is a science........

I certainly won't be buying any more Hornby models without haven seen them for real.

I guess I can get away without painting the yellow ends though, so there's a positive I can take away from this!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2021 at 01:22, Erixtar1992 said:

Bet you they wont cut their losses and correct the colour for the 2021 GBRf class 60.

I didnt buy the 50s since the blue is so bad, nor will i buy the 60 is its the same.

Has there been any livery samples for the 60? It's due this month and the only pics I think are from the original announcement which as is discussed here, looks too light (although not as bright as the 50s). If its the right colour, I will buy it.

On 14/08/2021 at 23:01, newbryford said:

"The GBRf Class 50s livery has been changed going forward" , but the trail seems to have gone cold to my follow up questions.

That is a bit of an odd statement, does it simply mean they have decided to do the right colour IF they do one in the future, or if they are doing more? Also itr sorta sounds like they could have limited the change to the 50s which would also be absurd!

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That is a bit of an odd statement, does it simply mean they have decided to do the right colour IF they do one in the future, or if they are doing more? Also itr sorta sounds like they could have limited the change to the 50s which would also be absurd!

See my Sep23 reply.

What it should have been prefixed with:

SK said that there are no immediate plans for a GBRf 50 rerun.

(And if they did them in another colour, then that's admitting they cocked up.)

As I'm going to repaint my GBRf 50, I may as well do a 60 at the same time.

At least then, if there are any colour cockups - it's my fault.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Has there been any livery samples for the 60? It's due this month and the only pics I think are from the original announcement which as is discussed here, looks too light (although not as bright as the 50s). If its the right colour, I will buy it.

It’s a very odd statement. It seems to mean that the locos are repainted every time they reverse direction. :rofl:

• Funny 2

On 15/08/2021 at 12:38, Phil Mc said:

Does this suggest they will do a re-run of the livery ? Does suggest the forthcoming class 60 might now be produced in the correct colours

Cheers,

Phil.

the updated gbrf blue can be seen here   https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/p2-and-proud-celebrating-pride needless to say, it's a vast improvement over the previous choice and something more accurate

I suppose the forthcoming class 60 will have these updated colours seeing that this blog was from 4 months ago

Edited by Katie87006
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Katie87006 said:

the updated gbrf blue can be seen here   https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/p2-and-proud-celebrating-pride needless to say, it's a vast improvement over the previous choice and something more accurate

I suppose the forthcoming class 60 will have these updated colours seeing that this blog was from 4 months ago

Horse, stable door and bolted are part of a phrase that springs to mind..................

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 08/10/2021 at 11:10, newbryford said:

See my Sep23 reply.

What it should have been prefixed with:

SK said that there are no immediate plans for a GBRf 50 rerun.

(And if they did them in another colour, then that's admitting they cocked up.)

Just to add further confusion, the 60s done at Toton are a different colour blue to the ones done at Eastleigh. Brighter colours at Toton, a couple of 66s have been done there too recently.

It's a bit like the different shades between Eastleigh, Brush and GM EMD in the Europorte era.

Jo

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Seems we are not far off the answer for the GBRF 60, now showing in stock at Hornby.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/gbrf-class-60-co-co-60095-era-11-r30025

Anyone received one directly from Hornby yet so can comment on the shade of blue?

Artist impressions can be misleading - such as those of 31147 that clearly do not show the errant ETH connector.

The images of the GBRf 50s are certainly not indicative of the shade of the models being way too light.

I'll reserve judgement until I actually see an actual model GBRf 60.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Artist impressions can be misleading - such as those of 31147 that clearly do not show the errant ETH connector.

The images of the GBRf 50s are certainly not indicative of the shade of the models being way too light.

Who knows, it might actually turn up as an A4 in GBRF livery 

its certainly becoming a trend in the hobby for fakeries of late.

:D

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Yes, absolutely agree, I only meant that the models appear to have been released as Hornby are indicating them in stock on their website, and wondered if anyone who ordered direct from Hornby had received their model and so can comment on the colour…. I am also holding off deciding until I see the colour on the model itself. Hopefully nearer the GBRF Pride 66 rather than the GBRF 50s….

Edited by scouse889
  • Like 2

On 22/10/2021 at 23:45, adb968008 said:

Who knows, it might actually turn up as an A4 in GBRF livery 

its certainly becoming a trend in the hobby for fakeries of late.

:D

If it did turn up as an A4 it might be the right colour as they seem to put more effort into there steam locomotives...

11 hours ago, XChris said:

If it did turn up as an A4 it might be the right colour as they seem to put more effort into there steam locomotives...

What? Provided you’re not bothered about DCC or tail lights remaining on when pulling a train, Hornby did a decent job on the 87s. On the other hand, the big Thompsons were a mess, what with bits falling off and poor livery jobs, not to mention the even worse livery jobs on the BR Nelsons. Can we agree that Hornby needs to get a grip on steam, diesel and electric?