Bachman 45xx tank problem

mervyn

I've noticed this with a few locomotives, normally Hornby 'Britannias' and new tooling Duchesses.

I agree, it's probably a bind.

Is there a gear wheel which as moved, or is off-square - not straight?

I try to ignore the possibility the wheel's not been centred correctly .... 'though it is possible I suppose.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mervyn said:

Has anyone else had the problem of their loco " hunting" ie surging at moderate speeds it almost seems as if there is a  bind somewhere but at low speed it seems okay and at very high only occurs at mid speed range .

I have a similar problem with this loco ‘stuttering as slow/shunting speeds, I’m running DCC but I’m not clever enough to fix the problem because I basically don’t understand any of the CV’s and what they do

I really wish there was an idiots guide but unfortunately it appears you have to have a degree in computing to make sense of it

I should have stuck to DC really

Edited by chuffinghell

19 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I have a similar problem with this loco ‘stuttering as slow/shunting speeds, I’m running DCC but I’m not clever enough to fix the problem because I basically don’t understand any of the CV’s and what they do

I really wish there was an idiots guide but unfortunately it appears you have to have a degree in computing to make sense of it

I should have stuck to DC really

I have a fixed set of dcc values that i use if you want then can put them on here for you ?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/12/2020 at 15:30, chuffinghell said:

that would great and much appreciated thank you

Chris

Apologies this is a tad late Chris but these are the settings I use on my decoders just settings I picked up off  RM Web CV1 ADDRESS ,CV2 START VOLTAGE EITHER 1 OR 2. CV3 FOR PASS 30 0R 60-70 FOR FREIGHT ie STEAM . CV  4  DE- ACCELERATION 15 . CV5 TOP VOLTAGE 150 .CV6 MID-SPEED 75 .CV8 Factory reset.  haven't actually reset anything so dont know if this cv works !  There are probably variables on these and it isn't a definitive list just my settings I use hope it helps . 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, mervyn said:

Apologies this is a tad late Chris but these are the settings I use on my decoders just settings I picked up off  RM Web CV1 ADDRESS ,CV2 START VOLTAGE EITHER 1 OR 2. CV3 FOR PASS 30 0R 60-70 FOR FREIGHT ie STEAM . CV  4  DE- ACCELERATION 15 . CV5 TOP VOLTAGE 150 .CV6 MID-SPEED 75 .CV8 Factory reset.  haven't actually reset anything so dont know if this cv works !  There are probably variables on these and it isn't a definitive list just my settings I use hope it helps . 

No need to apologise

I'll try those when I’m ready, thank you

• RMweb Gold

I have similar problems on my two dcc 45xx locos that intermittently hunt or surge at low to moderate speed. I have been able to mitigate this to some extent by tweeking the cv’s that control the back EMF settings but believe the main issue on my 45’s is mechanical relating to the slide head extension bar catching as it slides in and out of the plastic air pump moulded on the right hand side of the body. I will get round to fixing this at some point in the future.

Let me know if you want any information on decoder EMF settings and I will try and help.