Ex-gwr BLT. New uni layout?

• 5 weeks later...

I have been ignoring this plan for a while now as i have been working on my main layout. As my return to uni draws closer i thought id have a play on cad and start designing baseboards.

i think this layout will stay on paper until the summer, because i already have my small canal layout down at uni which i need to 'finish off' before i inevitably froget about it and put it on a shelf in the garage.

1183743147_bltonbed.PNG.c08f17ae55ae573bb14835ed89e72526.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I set a date I'd like to go back to uni, they don't need me until after the Easter holidays, but I'd rather be living in the house I'm paying my entire student loan on. 

I've decided on the 20th March (ish) as its after lockdown is lifted, but also gives me a chance to finish off what I'm doing at home. 

I've decided that instead of spending more money on my current uni layout, which I'm now considering a first attempt, I will ramp up planning on this one and start building baseboards and ackuiring track when I'm at uni this term. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I had another look at the plan and realised that the storage yard doesn't allow for any running around or swapping stock. 

So I added a crossover that allows running around, I also added a three way point giving me an extra full length siding. 

20210228_200451.jpg.6fffc1f1c1112186897d07399cf4f927.jpg

I then made some scale paper versions of my locos and rolling stock so I could play trains and I think this track plan achieves all I want. 

20210228_193226.jpg.33d25b0147ec0a5387fa936a32658086.jpg20210228_193023.jpg.e4de41e5e2d1881d8e41941ae670940a.jpg

• Like 1

I've continued the baseboard design using 5.5mm ply and the sandwhich girder method.

The second scenic board is more complex to allow for a stream or river, as well as point motors at the front of the board. The stream will most likeley be narrow but ive gone for a large straight cut which i will fill with foam and carve the stream out of.  To strengthen the stream section there is an added soft wood batten underneath.

There is scope to add more bracing if required, these drawings will just allow me to get an initial estimate of how much ply and softwood i need. i will also be using 3d printed lightweight brackets wherever needed.

The computer gives a rough mass of 9Kg for the full assembly which isnt bad at all at just over 2Kg per board. I've gone for aircraft style holes in all the internal struts to cut down on weight.

1573635638_bltboards.JPG.464c4f3e1e43d8e42b5bb2f4467bc2c4.JPG

113900954_bltframe.JPG.3708488836e064182235f1886f196a7b.JPG

468407781_bltframestop.JPG.d05dddebde3a3ed66a1946ca7feb38c6.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

For those who haven't seen, progress has been made on the track plan over on the signalling advice forum. 

I've also made an order for the plywood to make the boards. Soon this layout will no longer be in the planning phase and I'll start a new forum in the layout topics section. 

Until then does anyone have suggestions for layout names or how to make them. 

The main features of the layout will be the stream/Brook as well as some, wooded areas.

My current idea is to relate the name to scenery I.e springsdale or something woods. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

My current idea is to relate the name to scenery I.e springsdale or something woods. 

Calling it "Springdale" would set the layout in the wrong part of the country for the GWR. 

Springdale sounds like something from America.

Have a look around the general area that you're planning to set it in and see what kind of names there are. There'll probably be a non-rail served hamlet with a name that you like, but if not then you can still use the names around there as a basis.

I agree springs Dale is far to American, supprisingly there are a few dales near me in Shropshire. 

I'm thinking of being a bit clever with old English, as almost every name in Shropshire is old English. 

One option I came up with was holtbourne, which translates to woods stream in modern English. 

I'm not sure on it though, I'll keep looking 

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

The main features of the layout will be the stream/Brook as well as some, wooded areas.

I always think it's best to look for name inspiration from the localities themselves, the NLS web-map viewer and historic six-inch scale OS maps are handy for this, eg:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.63035&lon=-2.49964&layers=6&b=1

cheers,

Keith

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

The main features of the layout will be the stream/Brook as well as some, wooded areas

Brookfield.

Mind you, you’d be pestered by The Archets droning on endlessly in the background.

Locale must be about right though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2021 at 16:10, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

I've continued the baseboard design using 5.5mm ply and the sandwhich girder method.

The second scenic board is more complex to allow for a stream or river, as well as point motors at the front of the board. The stream will most likeley be narrow but ive gone for a large straight cut which i will fill with foam and carve the stream out of.  To strengthen the stream section there is an added soft wood batten underneath.

There is scope to add more bracing if required, these drawings will just allow me to get an initial estimate of how much ply and softwood i need. i will also be using 3d printed lightweight brackets wherever needed.

The computer gives a rough mass of 9Kg for the full assembly which isnt bad at all at just over 2Kg per board. I've gone for aircraft style holes in all the internal struts to cut down on weight.

1573635638_bltboards.JPG.464c4f3e1e43d8e42b5bb2f4467bc2c4.JPG

113900954_bltframe.JPG.3708488836e064182235f1886f196a7b.JPG

468407781_bltframestop.JPG.d05dddebde3a3ed66a1946ca7feb38c6.JPG

I think the stream bottom is going to be a source of wobble.  I'd suggest shaping the side bearers to the countours of the land to avoid stress-concentrating angles and building in the bridge trackbed as part of the structure.  Also I think the inner skin of the lower double-bearer needs to be continuous along the whole board.

2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

I think the stream bottom is going to be a source of wobble.  I'd suggest shaping the side bearers to the countours of the land to avoid stress-concentrating angles and building in the bridge trackbed as part of the structure.  Also I think the inner skin of the lower double-bearer needs to be continuous along the whole board.

thanks for the suggestions. I will definatelly add countoured peices of ply, however they may be glued in after the landscape is done as I'm not certain how it will flow yet. I may add some rough shapes to begin with and cut to shape later. the sides of the brook will also be made of solid insulation foam which should help provide some structure.

Unfortunateley the lower beearer has to shift around a point motor , one option is to do the entire length as the extra wide spacing.

No progress on naming, However I've done some more cad. 

I was going to ignore the backscene for now, however it will add structrure so i think ill include it from the start. I've been working on a cut list and there is just enough wood left for a backscenemade of the 5.5mm ply. My idea is to glue and screw the boards together and then only use screws on the backscene boards so that they can be removed if nescesarry.

something else I've beeen working on is a removable lighting pelmet using offcuts from the baseboards. The idea is two 3ft strips of ply with a hinge in the middle for storage, and then two softwood supports either side, along with a 3d printed lighting channel for led strips and 3d printed brackets.

955814611_pelmet1.JPG.2ebadebb9d1d96407a1a59477f65b330.JPG

The backboards only add roughly 2kg so not bad . 

At the minute my Pelmet is set at 500mm height, this leaves a space of 345.5mm between the top of the scenic board and the bottom of the pelmet. is this enough ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

I agree springs Dale is far to American, supprisingly there are a few dales near me in Shropshire. 

I'm thinking of being a bit clever with old English, as almost every name in Shropshire is old English. 

One option I came up with was holtbourne, which translates to woods stream in modern English. 

I'm not sure on it though, I'll keep looking 

Well how about Tweedale, close to the Madeley branch...

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.64414&lon=-2.44132&layers=6&b=1

Cheers,

Keith

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Well how about Tweedale, close to the Madeley branch...

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.64414&lon=-2.44132&layers=6&b=1

Cheers,

Keith

I know tweedale well, 

unfortunateley it is now mostly an area of industrial estate, including the royal mail depot , so i think whenever i mention the the layout i will think of the post office :) its a good idea though. Im going to have a play with a word mixer like i did for my main layout.

• Like 1

another New Name Idea 

Springley Common

Spring- One of the many local springs runs straight through a well in my garden, as I move out it will be a good nod to my childhood

ley- As seen in local names such as hadley,dawley, lawley etc.  actually deriving from an old english word 'leah' for 'wood' or 'glade'.

Common- again there is a lot of common land in the area.

Eaach part of the name links both to the area ive grown up in, as well as the Scenery on the layout. The layout itself is not strictly geographically other than "near the shropshire hills".

other options include dropping the e.   springly common.

or changing the second word.

i.e. springley coppice.

Edited by Horsehay Railway Modeller

Another name idea which sounds a little more natural. There are Springfields allover the place, even in cartoons :P

There are also many roads named Springfield in Shropshire. 

Some options with Springfield 

Springfield 

Springfield common

Springfield brook

Springfield coppice

Springfield woods

I'm not sure which sounds best for a layout name 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

What kind of place is it? The extra terms after "Springfield" would only be likely if it had another station, presumably the bigger one served by another company.

It's freelance but based on Shropshire, there were many places served by several companies due to import and export to different parts of the country. 

My current top choice is springley brook 

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

It's freelance but based on Shropshire, there were many places served by several companies due to import and export to different parts of the country. 

My current top choice is springley brook 

Ah, Shropshire so a good source for ideas might be A E Housman and take one of his poems, mentioning cherry blossom,  as a hint you might end up with 'Cherryfield'.     However as you havea river you could possibly use 'Cherrydene' instead

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44411/a-shropshire-lad-2-loveliest-of-trees-the-cherry-now

As there was a Cherry Orchard (sidings) - as well as numerous places with 'field; sidings - on the GWR you also get a link that way - both Shropshire and GWR

• Like 3