Ex-gwr BLT. New uni layout?

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2021 at 13:03, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

I've just had a play with this design again. 

I realised I could extend the storage board and it would still fit on my bed. I've also designated a cassette section in the top siding. 

I've added another 3 way at the bottom as it makes the geometry better. This means ve moved the join in the boards so it sits just between the 3 way points ( I've not had any issues with a similar join in my current uni layout.) 

Finally I've added a set track point in the bottom right ( it's all that would fit on the second rad curve) and this allows access to another board which could be a quarry or anything else for future expansion as suggested. 20210117_125725.jpg.7835a7834638b40ed13b435138156490.jpg

I think it Looks alot more organic now. 

I would reverse that point, making it the loop point and making the loop longer.  Then you could loose the 3-way, and start the goods sidings sooner, making them longer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2021 at 13:03, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

I've just had a play with this design again. 

I realised I could extend the storage board and it would still fit on my bed. I've also designated a cassette section in the top siding. 

I've added another 3 way at the bottom as it makes the geometry better. This means ve moved the join in the boards so it sits just between the 3 way points ( I've not had any issues with a similar join in my current uni layout.) 

Finally I've added a set track point in the bottom right ( it's all that would fit on the second rad curve) and this allows access to another board which could be a quarry or anything else for future expansion as suggested. 20210117_125725.jpg.7835a7834638b40ed13b435138156490.jpg

I think it Looks alot more organic now. 

I would reverse that point, making it the loop point and making the loop longer.  Then you could loose the 3-way, and start the goods sidings sooner, making them longer.

Or turn it the other way round, put the goods yard where the loco shed is, and convert the bay into a headshunt?

On 07/03/2021 at 11:33, The Stationmaster said:

Ah, Shropshire so a good source for ideas might be A E Housman and take one of his poems, mentioning cherry blossom,  as a hint you might end up with 'Cherryfield'.     However as you havea river you could possibly use 'Cherrydene' instead

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44411/a-shropshire-lad-2-loveliest-of-trees-the-cherry-now

As there was a Cherry Orchard (sidings) - as well as numerous places with 'field; sidings - on the GWR you also get a link that way - both Shropshire and GWR

Thank you verry much,

I have taken your inspiration and my mind is now settled on cherrybrook. 

I am also opening a layout topic thread under this name as the plywood has just been delivered.

• Like 1