Head codes.

Paul_C

I've just bought a Heljan Class 33 D6504. It's showing head codes of H1 and 4A and I would like to know which route(s)/area these refer to. Records show that it entered service in March 1960 allocated to Hither Green depot and I am trying to establish what numbers it would have been displaying when working the Sheerness/Sittingbourne areas of the network. Thanks.

Paul C.

DSCF7769.JPG

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure about H1, but 4A was used for the Cliffe to Uddingstone cement working, which the Crompton(s) worked as far as York.

Edit: I think a letter indicated an inter regional working, and H1 and H6 appears in my west London line WTT, for Willesden to Norwood workings.

Flickr may show show Sheerness workings.

Edited by stovepipe
Extra

• 1 month later...

Phil,

I did search for the thread entitled SR Headcodes but couldn't find it. The thread must be there somewhere so I'll keep looking.

In the meantime I've recently found an old photo of a 33 at Sheerness station showing the headcode of C9, any ideas?

Paul C.

110856718.iOQgi8Nz.100738236.3W165tYc.Scan249r (1).jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/12/2020 at 09:56, paulcornish said:

I've just bought a Heljan Class 33 D6504. It's showing head codes of H1 and 4A and I would like to know which route(s)/area these refer to. Records show that it entered service in March 1960 allocated to Hither Green depot and I am trying to establish what numbers it would have been displaying when working the Sheerness/Sittingbourne areas of the network. Thanks.

Paul C.

As far as the SED were concerned, WTT Section A, commencing 03/05/1971, shows headcode H1 as being applicable to locomotive hauled trains over routes not covered by a multiple unit headcode between Clapham Junction (W) and Dover Marine via Herne Hill, Maidstone East & Sandling.  Meanwhile the SR WTT of Conditional Train Services commencing 06/05/1974, shows headcode 4A to be applicable to Freight Trains and Light Locomotives between Dover Town and Hither Green Sidings via Tonbridge, between Hoo Junction and Richborough via Gillingham & Margate, and also between Lydd and Chislehurst via Ashford, Sevenoaks & Swanley.

On 27/02/2021 at 09:24, paulcornish said:

In the meantime I've recently found an old photo of a 33 at Sheerness station showing the headcode of C9, any ideas?

Although probably somewhat later than the photo, SR WTT Section WD, commencing 02/05/1977, shows headcode C9 as applicable to locomotive hauled trains over routes not covered by a multiple unit headcode between Clapham Junction (W) and Ramsgate via Herne Hill & Chatham.  The train in the photo might perhaps have been ECS starting from Clapham Yard or Stewarts Lane.

Thanks for your replies. Reading the content you seem have a very good understanding of railway terminology and abbreviations whereas I'm still trying to get my head round a lot of it. I guess it's plausible that from time to time certain trains and locos found themselves making their way onto the Island so I've probably got a little bit of leeway to play with.

Paul C.