OO/ HO gauge rollercoaster

Feoffee2

Hi everyone. 

I am planning on building a small section of theme park on my layout and am wanting a roller coaster. Nothing massive just a few drops etc. I have seen the faller kits but aren't a big fan. I just wondered if anyone had done this kind of thing before. I have looked online but most seem to be bigger scales. I am just going to build a static model but wondered if anyone had any advice etc. 

Thanks 

• RMweb Gold

Is this to be a working model?  Period?  The 'scenic railway' at Barry Island, which blew down in a gale, and the identical still extant ride at Lowestoft or Great Yarmouth (IIRC) may not be suitable for a theme park scenario, but have the advantage of being clad in 'scenery' which will be much easier to represent than the wooden or steel open framework of typical coasters. 

If it is to be a working model, I would suggest having the cars/trains driven for the entire ride rather than relying on gravity as the real things do.  A gravity drop in 4mm will be far too fast in scale speed terms; you want a scale maximum of 70 or 80mph.

10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Is this to be a working model?  Period?  The 'scenic railway' at Barry Island, which blew down in a gale, and the identical still extant ride at Lowestoft or Great Yarmouth (IIRC) may not be suitable for a theme park scenario, but have the advantage of being clad in 'scenery' which will be much easier to represent than the wooden or steel open framework of typical coasters. 

If it is to be a working model, I would suggest having the cars/trains driven for the entire ride rather than relying on gravity as the real things do.  A gravity drop in 4mm will be far too fast in scale speed terms; you want a scale maximum of 70 or 80mph.

I think you mean the one at Great Yarmouth, if I recall correctly it's the only one in this country to still have an onboard brakesman (brakesperson?).

Not a bad job but it has it's ups and downs, route knowledge is rather limited though:jester: