Freight only micro layout: for sale

• 2 months later...

Hello all, 

This layout has been dormant for a while. I've been dabbling with some 7mm NG modelling recently and this culminated in building a structure. This simple project inspired me to do some more structure modelling. 

The structure in question was originally built but never finished a few years ago for a now abandoned layout, and has already featured in several of the photos in this thread. 

All it needed to finish off was a door, window sills and a chimney. These were knocked up from some scraps of plastic sheet and a 3D printed chimney stack, suitably adjusted to fit the roof profile.

The roof is made from self-adhesive slate strips from York Modelmaking.  For future buildings I think I'll make my own and apply them individually.

Obviously the guttering and chimney pot needs finishing, but otherwise I'm pretty pleased. 

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I've begun work on the "backdrop" building for the layout. This isn't going to be visually interesting or exciting, just functional. 

20211006_115923.jpg.ebd7947d09596aafa38dd5c441c4a8b3.jpg

20211006_115937.jpg.bfa3fcd5f10764c6a06d0e54c68a3e76.jpg

The small addition building at the right hand end is a leftover from a laser cut kit. 

The building is at an angle hence the odd roof line. 

• Like 7

Latest progress. There isn't really a back story with the layout, it's sole purpose is to try and build something, but even given this vagueness, the provender store didn't really add up.

It saddens me a little, especially given the work I put in to modify it to fit the space, but it was just starting to look a little out of place.

The angled building is coming together, and I'm playing about with this little structure, which was actually built for a previous layout and not finished. 

20211011_082107.jpg.b08d0c92d6b82c4e5db1e1a99df58abc.jpg

Reusing it also appeals to my sense of sentimentality. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Seems like a good decision, that latest arrangement looks nicely balanced.

I have sometimes thought there should be an RMweb challenge: Build a layout using all the stuff you've previously built but never used :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Seems like a good decision, that latest arrangement looks nicely balanced.

I have sometimes thought there should be an RMweb challenge: Build a layout using all the stuff you've previously built but never used :)

Or maybe used but upcycled to a new layout.  The canopy from my latest is 25 years young and the station notices came from a previous build.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. 

The little building I mentioned in my last post has now been painted. 

First attempt at painting red brick.  Semi successful I'd say. All done using Vallejo acrylics with the mortar represented using a pale wash. I think I may repaint the woodwork in a slightly lighter shade in hindsight. 

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

42 minutes ago, sb67 said:

The building looks great. What colours did you use? Brick painting is something I can never get the hang of! 

I only used 2 colours, Mahogany Brown and Orange Brown. These were just mixed to an "approximate" shade. A couple of bricks were picked out in various mixes of these colours, again pretty randomly. I just experimented as I went. The wash served two purposes- representing the mortar and toning the whole thing down.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I only used 2 colours, Mahogany Brown and Orange Brown. These were just mixed to an "approximate" shade. A couple of bricks were picked out in various mixes of these colours, again pretty randomly. I just experimented as I went. The wash served two purposes- representing the mortar and toning the whole thing down.

What was the wash you used and did you have any trouble with surface tension being acrylic paint? 

14 minutes ago, sb67 said:

What was the wash you used and did you have any trouble with surface tension being acrylic paint? 

It was a pale dusty brown colour mixed from various enamel paint. No issues applying it, yes it did unavoidably stain some of the "bricks" but I'm not overly concerned with that as it helps with the toning down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated as ever.

Work continues on the low relief warehouse wall with the roof now being done.

20211019_084129.jpg.bd2a8174b87a5be8441b36cb4d1631e9.jpg

I've also started working on one of the remaining two buildings that I forsee being needed...

20211019_084152.jpg.92bd702f5a77f38e161359c1992f6370.jpg

Current plans are for this to be sited at the very front of the baseboard to give the effect of trains running behind buildings.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Crikey! I do believe I have been most complimentary about your efforts earlier on FaceBook, no less! I thought the images seemed familiar!

As I said there, I do like the split level nature of the building in the centre.

Steve S

No worries Steve, you can be as complimentary as you like!

My daughter wasn't 100% in the night...after she settled back down, I couldn't sleep so thought I'd do something constructive!

I decided to use the time to start cladding the structure. 

Firstly a word about the construction method I use. My preferred material for building the shells is now foam foamcore sheet. This is both very light and easy to cut. I actually glue the pieces together using superglue. So far I've had absolutely no issues doing it this way and things haven't fallen apart...yet!

Anyway, enough waffle. Here are the walls part clad in embossed plastic sheet. 

20211020_090118.jpg.002935510d7a8230550dd3d517235da1.jpg

20211020_090143.jpg.c38672f0cb8cc5ae5258cf7a79929ad4.jpg

Note some parts are yet to be cut to size!

• Like 13