Freight only micro layout: for sale

Hello all, 

I'd still like to add a further small structure to the front of the layout. I've been doodling a few ideas, none of which really look right to my eyes. Now considering this modified laser cut kit.

20211101_223346.jpg.5beb020c939467c704ee34d22754cb2f.jpg

It's a combination of a low relief (but made full relief - is that the correct term?) kit from Petite Properties and an extension left over from another kit.

I'm not totally sold on the idea, but it could work with a bit of tweaking. 

• Like 8

As this comes together more & more, I can see the differing levels, differing roof heights and roof profiles all looking quite "natural"
Although the buildings themselves are all quite different (as indeed they should be) - there is a sense of cohesiveness and of "belonging" to them too, I feel.

Great work @Enfys_Rainbow. I'm glad you're taking your time with this layout. I'd be far too tempted to rush once I'd got to this stage.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marc smith said:

As this comes together more & more, I can see the differing levels, differing roof heights and roof profiles all looking quite "natural"
Although the buildings themselves are all quite different (as indeed they should be) - there is a sense of cohesiveness and of "belonging" to them too, I feel.

Great work @Enfys_Rainbow. I'm glad you're taking your time with this layout. I'd be far too tempted to rush once I'd got to this stage.

Thank you Mark! I'm pleased with your comment because that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve.

This may sound a little unconventional, because the general rule with small layouts is to not overcrowd them, but - rural areas aside - places are actually really crowded - we just don't notice because we're not looking at them from the same perspective as we do a 4mm scale layout.

So I've taken a calculated risk by having several buildings because in real life, that's how it'd often be!

Matt

• Like 3

On 04/11/2021 at 19:33, Enfys_Rainbow said:

we just don't notice because we're not looking at them from the same perspective as we do a 4mm scale layout.

Every now and then I am struck by how BIG things really are in real life - like how much room a road junction really takes up, or how a factory is a lot bigger when you actually pay attention as you drive past.

Case in point - I thought that an old industrial building locally had an interesting facade as a low relief model, as it was a series of gable ends with various doors, windows, loading bays etc. Taking photos, I suddenly thought that on a layout we might only model one or two bays so as not to overwhelm a scene - in reality the building is 12 bays long!

Steve S

1E099527-07A1-4C65-AC6B-134C86CFAF86.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A brief diversion...

I bought this 7mm open wagon off ebay a few months ago in a damaged state. After stripping down, doing some minor repairs and a repaint its completed.

No attempt at historical or prototypical accuracy, colour chosen simply to highlight the wording as its a 65th birthday present for my father in law. 

J65D

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 4

Thanks @Kevin Johnson, I hope he'll be pleased - he has what I'd term a RTR layout, but it's not 7mm, so fingers crossed he'll appreciate it!

Back on track...

I picked this Ratio LMS van for a bargain price on eBay recently and decided to build it for no other reason than I fancied it!

A couple of photos show these with really shabby doors, paint peeling to show almost rotten wood - I've tried to recreate this although the jury is out as to how successfully!

I've also tried, more successfully, to represent very faded bauxite paint.

20211107_204538.jpg.ee6a758f8663e88ff9d1c10f54cdbb45.jpg

Not quite finished, just needs markings, the roof painting and a few tweaks before it's done.

Matt

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 14/11/2021 at 17:47, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Another one on the go. Checking back through this thread, I can see I actually built this back in March but never got around to painting it.

ODA3

I still need to finish off the underframe and it obviously needs couplings but pretty pleased so far.

Matt

Nice body weathering 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the comments and for liking my wagon pictures, it is much appreciated!

A few posts ago, I shared a work in progress photo of a wagon I was making as a birthday gift for my father-in-law. Here is the finished item for presentation on Saturday!

J65E

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1