Removing “weathering” from diesel Locomotives

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m considering getting a Heljan Class 53, 1200 Falcon but I can’t find one that’s not been factory weathered.  The factory weathering along the bodyside is good but they have overdone it on the yellow warning panels.

I’ve looked on Flickr and the pictures of Falcon, even when it was really tatty, the front was really quite clean.  Is there a way to remove the weathering or should I just mask off the warning panels and repaint them yellow?

Cotton bud and either white spirit or Tamiya acrylic thinners might well remove the weathering. It's worked for me on Bachmann and DJM but never tried on a Heljan. Word of warning though, do not get white spirit on Heljan glazing, it does it no good at all.

HTH

Stu

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Jools1959. I used a cotton bud dipped in Isopropyl Alcohol to remove the weathering on the yellow front on my Weathered green 33. No damage at all. Just don't press to hard and it will come off easy.  left the weathering on the body and underframe as it doesn't look to bad. I used the same method on a Weathered Hornby 50 which looked like it had been swiped with a Melted Chocolate Bar and it was a huge improvement as its more subtle. I also used it on a Bachmann 25 but had slightly mixed results. But most importantly remove the glazing first as  it can bloom and go white. although it may be salvageable with Gloss Varnish. Clear cote of Johnsons clear. Ill try and get some pics

Regards Trailrage

• Like 1

Couple of pics.  Heljan 33 was a doddle to do as the weathering came straight off with no damage to the yellow. 

Hornby 50 was hard work as the Chocolate wipe was as stubborn to remove as a Curry stain on a white Shirt! I'm tempted to leave the 50 as is because I quite like it now. But I learnt my lesson doing this one as I didnt remove the body first and dropped it snapping the end of the chassis off. 

Bachmann 25 the paint bloomed slightly but as its on the roof it gives it a slight faded look. So I'm OK with it

20210223_102503.jpg

20210223_102531.jpg

20210223_102648.jpg

20210223_102655.jpg

20210223_102659.jpg

20210223_102727.jpg

20210223_102912.jpg

Edited by TRAILRAGE
Added comment
  • Like 2