A new Cakebox?

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

With more lockdown looming, is there any appetite for a one-off Cakebox challenge at the start of the year? 

3 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Phil I will be up for this, have you thought of a theme yet.:D

Is a specific theme really needed - or would it just cramp some people's style?

Some of us are struggling to rediscover our modelmaking mojo (whatever that was).

Personally, I'd prefer the whole thing left open-ended - just a couple of railway related items (eg wagon + track) - and allow us to come up with our own ideas, please. That sort of thing would suit me just fine - and I doubt if I'd be alone in this regard.

Huw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Some of us are struggling to rediscover our modelmaking mojo (whatever that was).

Personally, I'd prefer the whole thing left open-ended - just a couple of railway related items (eg wagon + track) - and allow us to come up with our own ideas, please. That sort of thing would suit me just fine - and I doubt if I'd be alone in this regard.

Huw.

Interesting thoughts. I'm a returner to model making after a 35 year break so I'm pretty much a newbie and have never taken part in a model making challenge, however I've taken part in a few photography challenges over the years and found having a broad theme could help with inspiration as much as too narrow a theme could stifle it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Huw.

Hi Huw I agree. A couple of railway items and an open competition sounds great. 

I know mentioned a theme as other cakebox challengers have had one.:D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Huw.

2 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi Huw I agree. A couple of railway items and an open competition sounds great. 

I know mentioned a theme as other cakebox challengers have had one.:D

An open ended theme would make it easier for anyone facing challenges sourcing the bits they might need for a specific idea due to restrictions on shop openings (which vary from region to region - and can change very quickly).  Just a thought.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I would like to enter something along the lines of a working level crossing...

Agreed, a refresher on what size a coke box actually is, would be useful.

Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SHMD said:

I would like to enter something along the lines of a working level crossing...

Kev.

Hi Kev as far as I know the model must fit in a standard 8 by 8 by 6 inch cake box with at least two railway items.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely, I only entered the last two before the Cakebox was retired, but thoroughly enjoyed it as a contest!  It's the perfect size for a contained project that won't distract too much from other work, but something you can still sink your teeth into...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SHMD said:

I don't know - but I'm sure it's "the real thing" ... .

Sorry - I might have been thinking about the wrong sort of Coke.

(Personally, I prefer Coke Classic.)

Seriously though ...

1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi Kev as far as I know the model must fit in a standard 8 by 8 by 6 inch cake box with at least two railway items.

That sums up my understanding of the rules of previous challenges.

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Absolutely, I only entered the last two before the Cakebox was retired, but thoroughly enjoyed it as a contest!  It's the perfect size for a contained project that won't distract too much from other work, but something you can still sink your teeth into...

I suspect that the size might also work out quite well for the Garden Rail / BRM / RMweb team.

The size of the boxes allows for easily portable demo samples, which can be shown on magazine stands at shows (remember them?).

Of course, if they use recycled cake boxes, there might also be something for someone to sink their teeth into - but I digress ... .

Huw.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2020 at 20:13, Phil Parker said:

With more lockdown looming, is there any appetite for a one-off Cakebox challenge at the start of the year? 

On 28/12/2020 at 20:50, ManofKent said:

I'd be tempted.

On 28/12/2020 at 21:46, Kevin Johnson said:

Phil I will be up for this, have you thought of a theme yet.:D

On 28/12/2020 at 23:41, MPR said:

Yes please!

13 hours ago, jrb said:

Yes, definitely :good_mini:

8 hours ago, D6775 said:

This time round I might actually give it a bash. 

4 hours ago, SHMD said:

I would like to enter something along the lines of ...

3 hours ago, Ben B said:

Absolutely, I only entered the last two before the Cakebox was retired, but thoroughly enjoyed it as a contest! 

33 minutes ago, col_kilgore said:

Sounds good , count me in .

It's starting to sound like there's definitely an appetite - plenty of expressions of interest, even before a challenge and theme are formally announced.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's interest from more people following an announcement - with a significant number going further and building something.

It's looking good.

Huw.

• Agree 2

• Administrators

OK - It looks like we have plenty of interest.

I'll do my best to launch this on 1st Jan, with the competition running until the end of March and then voting in April. It's all a bit last minute so I won't have any prizes lined up imediatly, but there has already been an offer. We'll get this sorted out during the run, so watch this space.

Thanks

• Like 11