Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Train Simulator 2021 - Worth a look, especially for the lines around Nottingham routes add-on

I've always felt a tad disappointed with Train Sims in the past for various reasons and I've took a long break from them. I saw recently on Steam that Train Simulator 2021 was included in their winter sale so I jumped in and bought it quickly followed by the purchase of Netherlfield a route that takes in a lot of the Nottingham area lines in the 50's 60's. 

I have to say WOW! Its a whole different experience from train sims in the past and as for the Netherfield routes, well its just gobsmackingly good. I can't really do it justice with words to be honest - The builder deserves a mention the New years Honours list. I had no interest the lines of this area before this, but I do now! 

There is one ongoing problem with 2021 that the developers have not got to grips with which results in an out of memory message when you try to use the scenario builder. Its so widespread among users that hopefully it will get addressed and fixed.

I should probably say that I have no connection with any of the producers of Train Sim or the Netherfield route or Steam. 

Worth a look while the sale is on

Len

• Like 1

I've just watched this the whole way through. Whilst there are countless inaccuracies which stand out to anyone who knows the area, it does nonetheless give a very good impression of how things were.

Let's face it all of the lines travelled over have been gone for half a century! There's precious little infrastructure left, apart from odd bits if you know where to look.

On 30/12/2020 at 09:32, signalnorth said:

There is one ongoing problem with 2021 that the developers have not got to grips with which results in an out of memory message when you try to use the scenario builder. Its so widespread among users that hopefully it will get addressed and fixed.

The core TS 20xx software is so old I doubt it'll ever be fixed sadly. The game has poor memory optimisation full stop, and is better than when first released but still way off where it should be. The core software first launched in 2007's Rail Simulator which was a much simpler game, and many of the original bugs are still there today.

Jo

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Train Simulator 2021

Try Humble Bundle in search - there is a train sim collection of downloads of lots of files for costs up approx 9.00 (£9) or so - the basic level gives you the base pack plus some others for 0.73 (73p). This includes the Class 68. This is a charity donating setup in conjunction with the TS Management . They seem to do this sort of offer every year.

• RMweb Premium

Quite like the Netherfield route, although I'm not at all familiar with the area. Had a couple of scenarios where I was unable to stop in time, don't know whether that was my bad driving (too fast for the load) or whether the distant signals weren't as far away as they should be (and I'm sure I've encountered a signal at danger following a cleared distant). Could just be me and an illustration of why route knowledge is so important. I'm also not keen on scenarios where I have to really thrash it, could be unrealistically tight scenarios but again it might simply be my lousy driving not getting anywhere near the best from the loco :)

For a real cracker of a route have a look at the Stainmore and Eden Valley one (which also includes the WCML between them, then down a bit, and a portion of the line to Barrow). There's also a separate Teesdale and Weardale route, going through in to Darlington, and those two complement each other very nicely.

• RMweb Gold

For a very limited time TS2021 is available for £0.79 (expires 23 Feb 2021) - note it is suggested you pay more as it's partly charity.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/train-sim-expedition-bundle?hmb_source=search_bar

No connection.

Edited by beast66606
added note

Hi all,

My favourite route in Train Simulator is the Woodhead route. I just wish they had modelled the Glossop branch properly and not just left 2 tracks stopping nowhere about 2 miles from where Glossop station and the end of the line was. 

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2021 at 17:37, cypherman said:

Hi all,

My favourite route in Train Simulator is the Woodhead route. I just wish they had modelled the Glossop branch properly and not just left 2 tracks stopping nowhere about 2 miles from where Glossop station and the end of the line was. 

There's a later (BR Blue era) version of that route which includes Glossop. Downside to that one is reports of buggy scenarios, and I've had it crash on me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reorte said:

There's a later (BR Blue era) version of that route which includes Glossop. Downside to that one is reports of buggy scenarios, and I've had it crash on me.

Hi Reorte,

Can you tell me what is it called and is it available on Steam. Plus is this a commercial package or a player made mod. Any chance of some photo's of Glossop station and yard. Just to see how much is there. When I lived in Glossop it was just basically a line in and out. But it used to have quite a big station.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Reorte,

Can you tell me what is it called and is it available on Steam. Plus is this a commercial package or a player made mod. Any chance of some photo's of Glossop station and yard. Just to see how much is there. When I lived in Glossop it was just basically a line in and out. But it used to have quite a big station.

It's the 1970s (I think), so rather reduced, just the single line. It's available on Steam as "Woodhead Electric Railway in Blue."

Glossop.jpg.f3b465e043794789b3a30355c63ad563.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the picture. Do not know where they got their plans for this, They have not left enough space on the left hand side of the platform where the bay platform was. In 1985 Glossop station moved the single line in to the bay platform and in the simulator model they have not left the room for it. The first 2 pictures show when they were moving the line over and what it looks like now. Such a pity as Glossop had such a nice station and extensive yard. The third picture shows Glossop station and the bay platform on the right. 4Glossop_railway_station_c._1985.jpg.889b5cfa6bcb866b5355069893ff568d.jpgth picture shows where they had taken up the lines to the good shed which is now a Co-Op shop. And finally Glossop in the 1950's before the rationalization of the station to nothing more than a halt.

glossop station.jpg

glossop.jpg

glossop 1.jpg

glossop_station.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi,

Thanks for the picture. Do not know where they got their plans for this, They have not left enough space on the left hand side of the platform where the bay platform was. In 1985 Glossop station moved the single line in to the bay platform and in the simulator model they have not left the room for it.

That's just down to the angle I took the picture from. Here's another one trying to roughly match your first picture:

Glossop2.jpg.67313775b722551fdf8c10aebe446560.jpg

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Reorte,

Thanks for the second picture. yes that clears up the size discrepancy. A great pity the did not model it for the 1950's.

Definitely, it always seemed a bit of an odd one to miss in the original version, since it's such a short branch.

9 hours ago, Reorte said:

Definitely, it always seemed a bit of an odd one to miss in the original version, since it's such a short branch.

Hi,

Yes but a very interesting one as access to the branch was via a Twin line reversing triangle at Dinting station off the main line and right next to the viaduct. Possibly one of the strangest station layouts in the UK. The platforms created 2 sides of a triangle and most of the station is inside the triangle of track. Plus there were engine sheds at Dinting that later became the Dinting Railway Museum and home for a short while for the LNER Peppercorn Class A2 60532 Blue Peter. Pictures are from the Woodhead addon pack for Train simulator 2021.

Screenshot_The Woodhead Line_53.44812--1.97327_08-38-17.jpg

Screenshot_The Woodhead Line_53.44880--1.97229_08-40-39.jpg

Screenshot_The Woodhead Line_53.44901--1.97233_08-40-50.jpg

Screenshot_The Woodhead Line_53.44945--1.97174_08-41-17.jpg

Screenshot_The Woodhead Line_53.45052--1.97142_08-41-10.jpg

Screenshot_The Woodhead Line_53.44636--1.97442_08-37-48.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm thinking of buying Train Simulator 2021 and note that it appears to be available through either Steam or Just Trains.  I've not used either of these concerns before, not indeed have I had a train simulator since a free Japanese one many years (decades) ago.  Am I right in thinking that when you buy the game you can only play it online through Steam, or presumably Just Trains, or is it playable offline and independently of them?

DT