Potential Industrial Layout

On 01/01/2021 at 09:34, Nearholmer said:

Tar distillery.

In: tar, coal, and I think limestone for some filtering uses.

Out: various sizes of drums/barrels in open wagons, possibly later in closed wagons. At a very large works I think the volumes of outgoing products possibly required class A and Class B tank wagons for various things too.

The link to the photo of the nechells site that I posted has a very good selection of wagons on view, but you need to sign-in and view it hi-res to really see what is going on.

Don't forget the rectangular tank wagons. In service until the mid 60s.

Edited by doilum
Additional information

• 3 weeks later...

Re: tomparryharry’s interesting point about a tar plant at Wernddu (posted january 3rd) . Was this the same one as the Thomas Ness plant at Caerphilly connected to the line  to  Cardiff, on the opposite side to the loco works  (and fascinating to observe from the train ! ) or was there  another one near to Caerphilly ? I’m not trying to be pedantic , just fascinated by the railways of South Wales in general and having known this part  in particular during the days of steam, I am always keen to learn  more . And if anybody out there has a photo of the goods shed at Trethomas ....i

Edited by Holmside
Bungled grammar and spelling in first draft

On 01/01/2021 at 17:42, Martinnj said:

There was also a larger plan which I quite like too, Iain Rice did them in a pair here is the other one if anyone is interested.

Martin

ICI Big.pdf 598.43 kB · 101 downloads

I like that plan. Anything that uses tanks and covered hoppers is good because they look the same whether loaded or empty. I might give it a go for my next layout.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of the larger plan (especially the convoluted run-round in the actual complex!) and it does make me think of Heap Bridge in Bury (Lancs) and the railway serving Yates Duxbury's paper mill, which had interchange sidings off the L&Y Bury-Heywood branch and was at the side of the River Roch. There was a couple of steel bridges crossing the river to the opposite side to serve the industries there, too, if I remember rightly. Definitely another industry worthy of modelling due to the volume of wagons in and out, and there is a thread in this forum with a video showing the loco in action. (I just commented upon it, which should have brought it to the top of the forum)

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I like the look of the larger plan (especially the convoluted run-round in the actual complex!) and it does make me think of Heap Bridge in Bury (Lancs) and the railway serving Yates Duxbury's paper mill, which had interchange sidings off the L&Y Bury-Heywood branch and was at the side of the River Roch.

• Thanks 1

Hi @SteveyDee68 - those 3 dots at the top right of the comment. Go to the comment you want to copy and right click on the dots. One of the options is to 'copy link'. You can then paste it into another comment.

There's probably an easier way but that's about the limit of my knowledge !

Edited by Barclay
  • Informative/Useful 1