New Batch Of Bachmann 66s Noisier?

adamvb

Hey all

I wanted to just ask to see if others who have got the recent new 66 releases from Bachmann (Biffa/BR/Freightliner Orange/Evening Star/DB Cargo) that have come out in the past couple of months are noisier than their older counterparts?

I've had 3 so far, all sound fitted. The first one wouldn't take off with a load (just sat stalled until pushed), the second one would pull but had an audible click (which sounded like a compressor tick even though the sound wasn't on) and thankfully the third one pulls and doesn't tick, but inline with the others does still have what sounds like a gear noise on low to medium speeds which becomes a thrumming sound in the higher ranges. I'm not sure if they've changed the motor design, but compared to my old ones from 2005-2012 (Freightliner (8 Pin original variant) and EWS/GBRF (21 Pin revised version)) it is much louder. Has anyone else had this, or have I just fallen unlucky?

All best

Adam

Edited by adamvb
Added Evening Star variant.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got 66789, it was run-in for at least an hour in each direction on DC.

Didn’t notice any difference in noise level from any others in the fleet.

Haulage ability was then the same as the others when tested.

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

I’ve got 66789, it was run-in for at least an hour in each direction on DC.

Didn’t notice any difference in noise level from any others in the fleet.

Haulage ability was then the same as the others when tested.

cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil

Thanks for letting me know - I've run in each on DCC for a couple of hours each way at 64/128 (they're DCC Sound fitted ones). And the motor grumble seems quite a bit louder on the ones I've had. At least on this current one it can haul even if it is noisier! Has anyone else got any of the above 66s and can do a like for like?

Cheers

Adam

I've got the Biffa one and yes it's a bit noisier then the previous Bachmann 66s

But no problems with it. 

I'm going to run it for a few days then take the body off and give it a bit of oil before fitting the details and nameplates 

One thing I have noticed is that the sound speaker is always powered even with the sound turned off 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

I've got the Biffa one and yes it's a bit noisier then the previous Bachmann 66s

But no problems with it. 

I'm going to run it for a few days then take the body off and give it a bit of oil before fitting the details and nameplates 

One thing I have noticed is that the sound speaker is always powered even with the sound turned off 

2 hours ago, CazRail said:

Ive got a DB Cargo one, and I havent noticed any difference in noise between it and my others, I had 66152 out to compare. 

Once I'd sorted the pickup issue, I thought it was one of the smoothest 66s I have.

Thanks for the replies both.

Interesting to see the differing opinions. I don't think the third one I've got has any problems, but it is noticeably noisier/'thrum-ier'. I've had a look and the motor setup seems cosmetically the same so it must just be production variation, but weird I've had 3 that have all been noticeably noisier than their predecessors.

It's had about 6 hours running in on and off so far and no change in engine noise, but its nice and smooth and is pulling fine. WIll see how it continues to bed in.

16 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

I bought the DB and G&W (Freightliner) Class 66s and haven’t noticed that they are any noisier. I’ll have to have a good listen in the morning....

Hi Martin

I'd be interested to hear. Mine has been on engineering trains most of the day and still has its thrum!

Best

Adam

5 hours ago, adamvb said:

Hi Martin

I'd be interested to hear. Mine has been on engineering trains most of the day and still has its thrum!

Best

Adam

Adam
I’ve recorded a few runs both light engine and with a load for both, have to agree they do seem noisier but not a great deal. The G&W loco light engine when running slow sounds like the motor noise from the new 158. 
I’m going to give them a good running in tomorrow and see if it improves, follow the link below to my you tube.

All the best,

Martin

Edited by martin_l_jones

I got the db cargo 66117 no noise issue, but it was a nightmare over insulfrog points at slow speed, it's fitted with sound, the esu file and would stall and the sound would cut off as soon as it hit the frog. I fitted a stay alive and now it's fine, very good slow running from step 1 to 10, will crawl along. I've ordered another cargo with factory sound, but will change the speaker to a megabass .  Plus I will renumber it.

Edited by aquilla

8 hours ago, aquilla said:

I got the db cargo 66117 no noise issue, but it was a nightmare over insulfrog points at slow speed, it's fitted with sound, the esu file and would stall and the sound would cut off as soon as it hit the frog. I fitted a stay alive and now it's fine, very good slow running from step 1 to 10, will crawl along. I've ordered another cargo with factory sound, but will change the speaker to a megabass .  Plus I will renumber it.

Mine is a sound fitted, I think the sound files are a lot better now. The start and stopping distances are quite lengthy. As you say slow running is very good. Bachmann have done a good job on these.

9 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Mine is a sound fitted, I think the sound files are a lot better now. The start and stopping distances are quite lengthy. As you say slow running is very good. Bachmann have done a good job on these.

Certainly have, my hattons ones are now shelf exhibits lol.  I fitted the esu file which is very good along with a boom box speaker from rails exclusive, my others have Jamie goodman with megabass.  Both combinations have the correct sounds for the 66, the nice high pitch tone, which the em2 just doesn't give,  I think someone demonstrated the esu file recently somewhere on here. But I can get my 66s to crawl at a snails pace without any jerky movements.

I've had the body off my Biffa sound fitted 66 and the PCB was quite loose .

I couldn't tighten the screws any more than they had been done in the factory I ended up shortening the screws so it held at board in securely .

Had a good look around inside the locomotive and couldn't find anything that would cause the slightly noisy running . 

I think it may be getting better with running in will give it another try now I have the PCB secured properly.

To be honest my version was only slightly noisier than my previous Bachmann 66s

it could be as others have said here that it is a slightly different motor than the previous batches 

what do people recommend for lubricating the motor bearings on these ? that's the only place i didn't notice any lubricant 

On 09/01/2021 at 11:26, ruggedpeak said:

This is my experience from last year:

Thankfully it’s not that bad, I’ve been lubricating everything that moves and it seems to be improving. Interestingly Bachmann have a said to return them both for investigation. Nothing in terms of gearing, motor or drive train is different. But they definitely don’t sound like all the other Bachmann 66’s I have and it’s interesting they both sound the same. 

31 minutes ago, Monkey28 said:

It would be interesting to see what Bachmann say, Martin. I haven't been well enough to run my Biffa for a week or so . What lubricant did you use on your 66?

‘Singer Sewing Machine Oil’ and a multipurpose grease called ‘Super Lube’ that I got from work many years ago.

• Agree 1