Departmental B1 steam heating locos - picture wanted.

stewartingram

I'm aiming to convert a spare Replica/Bachmann B1 into a departmental version. I have 2 locos in mind which I photographed at Cambridge, but do not have a shot of the cabside numbering. I know there were variations with these. Having previously had some similar custom transfers made (by Railtec) for the 03 diesel shunter at Chesterton Junction, I had to supply a photo to them to work from. The specific locos are 61233 (No.21) & 61300 (No.23). Can anyone help with a photo please?

Stewart

Thanks for reminding me of that book - I actually have a copy but had completely forgotten about it!

There is a very nice picture of the 2 locos I mentioned, in steam together at Cambridge (I have a different but very similar picture already), but sadly no details of the numbers are visible. However the thumbnails on the previous page are excellent, particularly No.21. However my 1st choice, No.23, is not so clear, but appears to be a similar style. I'll probably contact Railtec with both pics, and ask for 21 to be done but actually do it as 23.

Many thanks,

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 1

There's a picture of no 32 inside Barrow Hill towards the back of the Locomotives Illustrated devoted to B1s.

Although not a full side on view it appears that it has been renumbered by using the number 3 from it's original number (61315) and adding a two in the same font and size. 

Given that they were not supposed to be able to be used for traction purposes it retains both the front coupling and vacuum hose.

I've seen several pictures of these in one place, possibly the relevant Yeadon  or Power of the B1s? Both books are in our club library but I can't get there before Friday, someone has to go every couple of days to empty the dehumidifier as the roof leaks.

• Thanks 1

Possibly not terribly helpful but the last page of Yeadon's Register Vol.6 has large clear photographs of No: 18 [61181] and No: 20. It also mentions that No: 22 just had the numerical digits and no wording whatsoever. I have an idea that there are several pics of these engines amongst RNH Hardy's articles in 'Steam World' including mentions that the engines had to have their couplings removed so that shedmasters wouldn't be tempted to use these now non-insured engines on revenue earning services.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if this is any help but, my own slide. I don't have scanning facilities so I've used my phone and an ancient slide viewer which still had uncorroded batteries in dated 1997! 

Taken, I think, at Derby during an open day. A real shame at least one of them couldn't have been preserved.

IMG_20201230_192004303.jpg.85b04e724561f5a8e2f1ea1d50d65dec.jpg

Edit there's a couple of pictures, including both of these looking like they're recently arrived at Derby, on the RCTS archive, link below.

Also a pair taken at March including no 23.

Maybe I should add the link, d'oh

https://rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?company=LNER&subtype=0&class=B1&location=&srch=&page=0

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1