As ever, the rules are simple:

The model must fit in a standard 8-inch square cake box. 

It must include two railway items

And - you must use two items of "rubbish".

How you define rubbish is to you.

It's up to you if you want to start a build thread, but we'll be calling for entries (3 photos + 200 words) at the start of March with voting taking place in April.

Some entries, and the winners will appear in BRM.

Prizes will be announced before the end of the competition - we're still working on these.

• Like 8

This should be interesting - almost as interesting as certain "critters" those of us now in our 50s would have been introduced to in the 1970s.

Some of us might also find it difficult to forget memories of Michael Batt etc wearing "Womble" outfits - whilst performing some novelty song:

"... We're so incredibly utterly devious

Making the most of everything

Even bottles and tins

Pick up the pieces and make them into

something new is what we do."

In my case, earlier this afternoon, I remembered that I've got several Spectrum On30 streetcars sat in boxes. About 20 years back, I modified one of these - it'll come in useful for "gauging" purposes.

I'd also pulled one apart, with the intention of doing a similar conversion - and got as far as butchering some paint stripping. Well, as the late Magnus Magnusson might have said: "I've started so I'll finish."

I know I could legitimately count this as a "recycled item". I don't intend to - mainly because I don't need to.

I've also got some track that came with a YMRV "first part" work Mk1 coach. Additionally, I've got some nickel silver track, which I could solder, if I need to. Meanwhile, I've also got some old pen barrels, plus some empty Ferrero Rocher boxes, torch bodies and offcuts of plastikard, foamboard and mounting card. Some offcuts of clear styrene might also come in useful - if only for holding an overhead wire at a suitable height (tram networks didn't have poles every few metres!). Come to think of it, some unused "tree lights" are also in need of a new home.

OK - I probably won't use every single one of these items in one build - but I'm sure I'd have no difficulty in using at least two.

Anyway, as mentioned in the original "Cake Box Challenge" rules from 2018, the most critical rule is that anything that gets built needs to be able to fit into a 8" * 8" * 6" box. If the lockdown finishes before the closing date, I'll be able to get some of the Lakeland boxes (which are to the maximum height allowed). Otherwise, I'll need to adapt one of the shallower ones I got locally to meet the "official" dimensions - this shouldn't be a problem, though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to building something to meet this challenge. Whether my entry stays together after the challenge finishes remains to be seen - after all, I'm not about to demotor a model streetcar!

I've also got other ideas - I won't say what they are, because I don't know if I'll have chance to build them before the deadline. I can say that some would be unlikely to reside permanently in a cardboard box. I guess it's a case of "watch this space".

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
Edited for clarity.
  • Like 3
  • RMweb Gold

Right, I have a plan.

OK, it might be plan 'B', but I have a plan!

image.png.132551f800977c4c543799847f656d4e.png

Plan 'A' is still viable but I've had to throw plan 'C' out the window as it just wouldn't fit.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Can I just double check please Phil?  The vid says it's 8-inch square base with a 6-inch height, but the text underneath says 8-inch square.  Is it to be done with the 6 inch height please?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Can I just double check please Phil?  The vid says it's 8-inch square base with a 6-inch height, but the text underneath says 8-inch square.  Is it to be done with the 6 inch height please?

13 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I believe in previous challenges, so long as it could be fitted into

the cakebox, the orientation didn't matter, it could be 8"x 6", and

8" tall, or 6"x 8", and 8" tall!

I Hope so because I'm standing mine on end!

Kev.

• Like 2
  • RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I Hope so because I'm standing mine on end!

Kev.

This sounds interesting Kev.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I believe in previous challenges, so long as it could be fitted into

the cakebox, the orientation didn't matter, it could be 8"x 6", and

8" tall, or 6"x 8", and 8" tall!

As long as it fits in the box, we don't care which way up it is while in there. So, if you have to lay the model on its back, that's fine with us. Just stand it up properly for the photos.

• Like 2