Cake Box 2021

Phil Parker

• Administrators

As ever, the rules are simple:

The model must fit in a standard 8-inch square cake box. 

It must include two railway items

And - you must use two items of "rubbish".

How you define rubbish is to you.

It's up to you if you want to start a build thread, but we'll be calling for entries (3 photos + 200 words) at the start of March with voting taking place in April.

Some entries, and the winners will appear in BRM.

Prizes will be announced before the end of the competition - we're still working on these.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

This should be interesting - almost as interesting as certain "critters" those of us now in our 50s would have been introduced to in the 1970s.

Some of us might also find it difficult to forget memories of Michael Batt etc wearing "Womble" outfits - whilst performing some novelty song:

"... We're so incredibly utterly devious

Making the most of everything

Even bottles and tins

Pick up the pieces and make them into

something new is what we do."

In my case, earlier this afternoon, I remembered that I've got several Spectrum On30 streetcars sat in boxes. About 20 years back, I modified one of these - it'll come in useful for "gauging" purposes.

I'd also pulled one apart, with the intention of doing a similar conversion - and got as far as butchering some paint stripping. Well, as the late Magnus Magnusson might have said: "I've started so I'll finish."

I know I could legitimately count this as a "recycled item". I don't intend to - mainly because I don't need to.

I've also got some track that came with a YMRV "first part" work Mk1 coach. Additionally, I've got some nickel silver track, which I could solder, if I need to. Meanwhile, I've also got some old pen barrels, plus some empty Ferrero Rocher boxes, torch bodies and offcuts of plastikard, foamboard and mounting card. Some offcuts of clear styrene might also come in useful - if only for holding an overhead wire at a suitable height (tram networks didn't have poles every few metres!). Come to think of it, some unused "tree lights" are also in need of a new home.

OK - I probably won't use every single one of these items in one build - but I'm sure I'd have no difficulty in using at least two.

Anyway, as mentioned in the original "Cake Box Challenge" rules from 2018, the most critical rule is that anything that gets built needs to be able to fit into a 8" * 8" * 6" box. If the lockdown finishes before the closing date, I'll be able to get some of the Lakeland boxes (which are to the maximum height allowed). Otherwise, I'll need to adapt one of the shallower ones I got locally to meet the "official" dimensions - this shouldn't be a problem, though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to building something to meet this challenge. Whether my entry stays together after the challenge finishes remains to be seen - after all, I'm not about to demotor a model streetcar!

I've also got other ideas - I won't say what they are, because I don't know if I'll have chance to build them before the deadline. I can say that some would be unlikely to reside permanently in a cardboard box. I guess it's a case of "watch this space".

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
Edited for clarity.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Right, I have a plan.

OK, it might be plan 'B', but I have a plan!

image.png.132551f800977c4c543799847f656d4e.png

Plan 'A' is still viable but I've had to throw plan 'C' out the window as it just wouldn't fit.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Can I just double check please Phil?  The vid says it's 8-inch square base with a 6-inch height, but the text underneath says 8-inch square.  Is it to be done with the 6 inch height please?

13 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

I believe in previous challenges, so long as it could be fitted into

the cakebox, the orientation didn't matter, it could be 8"x 6", and

8" tall, or 6"x 8", and 8" tall!

I Hope so because I'm standing mine on end!

Kev.

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

I believe in previous challenges, so long as it could be fitted into

the cakebox, the orientation didn't matter, it could be 8"x 6", and

8" tall, or 6"x 8", and 8" tall!

As long as it fits in the box, we don't care which way up it is while in there. So, if you have to lay the model on its back, that's fine with us. Just stand it up properly for the photos.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just come across this thread (where have I been!!) and thought "that's an interesting idea, perhaps I'll have a go".  Then I went into the layout room, marked out a piece of card to 8" x 8" - and realised how very small it is!  I shall have to get into the understairs cupboard and try to find my Thinking Cap.:scratchhead:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2021 at 15:02, Andy Brooks said:

Im definitly giving this ago. I work in the 'Rubbish' Industry and has opened a whole tin of Worms :) Hmmmm What to do :)

Well I've just started model building for a cake box entry.

You're right about "rubbish" opening a can of worms. In my case, the "rubbish" includes 2 lengths of track from YMRV "first part" work Mk1 SK coach packs - 1 length, with the rails from the other turned on their side and glued to the web of the rails of first length to represent tram track. This dubious-sounding assembly was then trimmed to fit within the stipulated dimensions.

Although this probably already takes care of the rubbish / recycling requirements, I don't need to worry that some people might take a stricter line about the rules.

The rules allow for a box 8" * 8" * 6" - which I know my build will fit inside, although locally available boxes are 125mm high (slightly less than 5"). Hopefully, I'll get chance to obtain some boxes from Lakeland, produced to the full permitted dimensions - however, in case I don't get chance, I'm making sure my build stays within the rules, with the option of adding a "full sized" box at a later date.

I'm using a recycled base - a piece of wood from an IKEA "help yourself to our cast offs" area - trimmed to fit inside a 200mm cake box, with a few millimetres of space all round.

Meanwhile, the highest points of my build are 2 traction poles of equal length (OK - a bit too close together - but I need to stay within the stipulated size limit!). These poles are made using one 1 foot length of 6mm dowel, chopped into halves - with the poles going through the full thickness of the wooden base, to stop them falling over. Even though this allows them to be 6 inches total length / height, they'll probably also be trimmed (although they don't actually need to be).

So that's 3 recycled items - with more to follow!

I'll start a thread about this stuff, once I've got some meaningful photos to post - until then, there isn't much point!

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It has been ages since I have visited the Forum! Delighted to see a 2021 Cake Box Challenge. While I still have two to complete from the earlier challenges.... will see what I can do for this one! Like most modellers, I have that box of useful rubbish which might come in handy one day! :clapping_mini:

Marlyn 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Marly51 said:

It has been ages since I have visited the Forum! Delighted to see a 2021 Cake Box Challenge. While I still have two to complete from the earlier challenges.... will see what I can do for this one! Like most modellers, I have that box of useful rubbish which might come in handy one day! :clapping_mini:

Marlyn 

Hi Marlyn, if I remember correctly, one of yours was a Barry Scrapyard diorama - with a mock-up of very good track made from corrugated cardboard?  If you still have it, that would fit the criteria for this competition perfectly (in several ways).*

Keith

(* Railway enthusiasts would dispute the notion that the Barry Scrapyard was ever home to ‘rubbish’ as such, but I’m sure you get the point).

Hi Keith.. Yes, I already used scrap paper and card on that model, which would have been discarded otherwise. Plus the small models I plan to use were discarded toys, probably regarded as rubbish by a tidy mum, but always a valuable modelling extra to us modellers!

Marlyn

• Like 1

Hi, I notice that 3 photos are required.  I have a vague idea of doing a scene looking from within a shed outwards toward a platform (of sorts).  Photography would only work from the one angle (inside, looking out).  Or maybe two shots but the angle would be very similar.  Would 2 similar scenic shots plus one of the construction be acceptable?  Or must it be something that can be photographed from 3 separate angles?  

On 09/02/2021 at 22:18, MoonMonkey said:

Hi, I notice that 3 photos are required.  I have a vague idea of doing a scene looking from within a shed outwards toward a platform (of sorts).  Photography would only work from the one angle (inside, looking out).  Or maybe two shots but the angle would be very similar.  Would 2 similar scenic shots plus one of the construction be acceptable?  Or must it be something that can be photographed from 3 separate angles?  

Hi Phil, upon reflection, I'm not going to have time to put that kind of scene together, so please disregard my off-the-wall query! 

• Administrators
On 09/02/2021 at 22:18, MoonMonkey said:

I might as well answer anyway - yes.

Hi Phil,

Recycled item?

I enjoyed eating the cake and l managed to lick off the jam, so that's my box sourced [not sauced].. .......

What is the specific closing date please? 

At this moment, l need a week to complete, hopefully.

Rusty

Edited by Sun Street

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sun Street said:

What is the specific closing date please? 

Rusty

Rusty,

There isn't a specific date yet, but it probably won't be until the middle to the end of March, so you've got several weeks yet.

Jonathan

JSModels