Cake Box 2021

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ben B said:

Has a specific deadline been set for the Cakebox please?

12 hours ago, ManofKent said:

And can it be later rather than sooner please? :whistle:

I can imagine a number of people thinking along similar lines - I certainly seem to be at present (and I wasn't expecting to).

I seem to recall plenty of time being allowed for the first cake box challenge.

For subsequent challenges, I think it's been 3 calendar months - with the way things have gone recently, I wouldn't mind another 3!

I never thought I'd say this - but there's been a lot of starting stuff, probably getting most of the way (with little to show for it), but being sidetracked and not getting the relatively small amount of time needed to finish the job.

I've got a mental vision of completing a build a few weeks after a deadline - and ending up posting pictures in a workbench thread.

Huw.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Ben B said:

Has a specific deadline been set for the Cakebox please?

The end of March. We'll be looking for photos and words at the start of April.

This still gives you a few weeks, so leave the computer alone and get modelling!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

The end of March. We'll be looking for photos and words at the start of April.

This still gives you a few weeks, so leave the computer alone and get modelling!

In view of other stuff I need to deal with, it's probably just as well that I haven't started my own thread.

This might sound like me making excuses - but it isn't. I'm just being realistic. Following some family bereavements, I've had a number of things to sort out - and my mind just hasn't been on stuff like modelmaking.

Although I've tried to push myself, this hasn't worked as well as I would have liked - instead of a complete build, I've got lots of bits and pieces, which need a relatively small amount of work to pull them together. Unfortunately, this would mean being able to concentrate on drawing some stuff up on a computer - probably for several hours at a stretch - and I'm finding this impossible at present.

By ruling myself out, I'm also removing any deadline - which will make this easier for me. Doing this might also allow me to make progress with clearing some space etc in the house. This needs to be done anyway - but I'm hoping it might also allow me to make a start on a long-planned layout.

Anyway, returning to the "cakebox" stuff, I don't honestly think my efforts would have fared too well against some people's work here. It's better if I stop "beating myself up" about this stuff - and just return to it when I'm ready to.

This will probably mean my "cakebox" stuff moving back in the queue. However, in time, I'll probably include this stuff in a workbench thread (as long as nobody minds), just in case there are any ideas that somebody might be able to develop into something they might be able to use in their own modelmaking.

So that's me out of the running (although I'm not sure I was ever really in the running). This leaves everyone else - and I can already see that there will be a number of very credible entries.

It only remains for me to wish you all well - and look forward to seeing your completed builds.

All the best,

Huw.

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 17/03/2021 at 16:10, Huw Griffiths said:

In view of other stuff I need to deal with, it's probably just as well that I haven't started my own thread.

This might sound like me making excuses - but it isn't. I'm just being realistic. Following some family bereavements, I've had a number of things to sort out - and my mind just hasn't been on stuff like modelmaking.

Although I've tried to push myself, this hasn't worked as well as I would have liked - instead of a complete build, I've got lots of bits and pieces, which need a relatively small amount of work to pull them together. Unfortunately, this would mean being able to concentrate on drawing some stuff up on a computer - probably for several hours at a stretch - and I'm finding this impossible at present.

By ruling myself out, I'm also removing any deadline - which will make this easier for me. Doing this might also allow me to make progress with clearing some space etc in the house. This needs to be done anyway - but I'm hoping it might also allow me to make a start on a long-planned layout.

Anyway, returning to the "cakebox" stuff, I don't honestly think my efforts would have fared too well against some people's work here. It's better if I stop "beating myself up" about this stuff - and just return to it when I'm ready to.

This will probably mean my "cakebox" stuff moving back in the queue. However, in time, I'll probably include this stuff in a workbench thread (as long as nobody minds), just in case there are any ideas that somebody might be able to develop into something they might be able to use in their own modelmaking.

So that's me out of the running (although I'm not sure I was ever really in the running). This leaves everyone else - and I can already see that there will be a number of very credible entries.

It only remains for me to wish you all well - and look forward to seeing your completed builds.

All the best,

Huw.

Look forward to seeing your CakeBox projects sometime in the future, Huw! I still have a couple to finish and will continue to post! 
Take care,

Marlyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, ManofKent said:

Pen down, paper upside down on the desk.

Just to check - I haven't missed where and how to submit article and photos?

Richard 

I’m sure you haven’t. I’ll ask the boss (we wouldn’t want the instructions issuing tomorrow morning - might not believe them :D), Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I’m sure you haven’t. I’ll ask the boss (we wouldn’t want the instructions issuing tomorrow morning - might not believe them :D), Keith.

I don't know what state I'll be in tomorrow - just had my first jab this afternoon. Hoping I'm not too woozy!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ManofKent said:

Pen down, paper upside down on the desk.

Just to check - I haven't missed where and how to submit article and photos?

Richard 

No. I was planning to do something today and then other stuff landed on me like a turd from the sky.

I'm away from my computer tomorrow, and we don't want to do it on All Fools Day anyway, so sit tight and I'll get things started over the Easter weekend. No panic, we'll have generous timescales. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

No. I was planning to do something today and then other stuff landed on me like a turd from the sky.

I'm away from my computer tomorrow, and we don't want to do it on All Fools Day anyway, so sit tight and I'll get things started over the Easter weekend. No panic, we'll have generous timescales. 

That’s great! Down to the wire for me, as usual!

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...