EFE Gate Stock

Yankee

On 30/01/2021 at 18:17, pushpull33 said:

I thought today I would have ago at fixing this slight discrepancy.

20210130_160239.jpg.7b94e8436175e1a51220d8a705b1d2b9.jpg

That looks better dosent it.

More on my blog as to how easy it is.

https://cpineroad.blogspot.com/2021/01/kernow-or-is-it-efe-gate-stock.html

Such a shame that something so easy to get right when relaunching this model by EFE that it went unnoticed, but thanks pushpull33 for the remedy.  

IMG_8900.jpeg.00ce2bd524443fc76ce499a343bc5fdc.jpeg

Received a very nice 3D printed gift from a friend which I might use to remodel one of these to a 1922 - 1930 era. That is Southern Railways, post electric light fitting and before pull push air control. May give the over coach control wires a miss though. 

Here’s a Kernow's Gate Stock LSWR conversion another friend did a couple of years ago.  Yes he knows it is not 100% correct, but a very good representation.

IMG_6804.jpeg.df87131240d8a3a75f76d3b3f26de8ef.jpeg

Edited by Yankee
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, deepfat said:

Can I ask a newbie question here what would have pulled these lovely coaches in SR days e.g. I have an Adams Radial so would that work?

The Adams Radial tanks were not Pull-push fitted! They could haul the coaches but would have to run round them at each  termini as per conventional stock. Also in SR days there were only 2 of them left restricted to the Lyme Regis branch which did not use Gate stock.

However LSWR locos like the O2 tanks had the necessary pull-push gear though (Westinghouse air pumps being the give away) and have been produced in RTR by Kernow in the past.

Hornby have also produced some M7s with Westinghouse pumps so they could be an option too

As per the photo in this thread the Gate stock was used with some ex LBSCR locos - but they have not been produced in RTR

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

The Adams Radial tanks were not Pull-push fitted! They could haul the coaches but would have to run round them at each  termini as per conventional stock. Also in SR days there were only 2 of them left restricted to the Lyme Regis branch which did not use Gate stock.

However LSWR locos like the O2 tanks had the necessary pull-push gear though (Westinghouse air pumps being the give away) and have been producded in RTR by Kernow in the past.

As per the photo in this thread the Gate stock was used with some ex LBSCR locos - but they have not been produced in RTR

I'm not sure if I have read it correctly, but Mike King's book on Southern Pull-Push Stock notes that the gate-stock converted from the steam railmotors were not used in P-P from 1931, although these are not the ones the EFE models are based on.  However, it seems that the stock assigned to the Portland Branch was also taken out of P-P operation in 1931, so it would not be unreasonable to run some with non-pull-push fitted locos, although the comment reegarding the Radials still holds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OK so I was trying to work out if I had anything suitable already as I have a lot of mainly SR maunsell era locos, so thanks for the information. They do look great hence the question

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The other day I was watching a 1949 UK movie "The Small Back Room".  Towards the end of the movie the "hero" steps off a gate stock set and while I did not take note of the loco,  from memory it did look a lot like a Jinty.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

I wonder if there are a new batch of 02's in the pipeline and if so, will one of them be a Southern one with pull/push gear to go with the recent Southern gate stock set I bought ?

All the best

Ray

Well they all appear finally sold out - it took a long time which would probably affect how soon an EFE run could be viable.

Also liveries - the Southern Green sold out quite early (as I learnt to my own expense) and I had to wait for a NQP model to turn up from Dave at Warley one year.  But the BR ones and Sunshine hung around for ages.  For a model to be considered by EFE there needs to be a latent demand that a new run can satisfy and I don't doubt there is probably a Southern Green demand, but what of the BR liveries?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I'm not sure they ever got into BR(S) green?

Correct!

What many modellers claim to be 'BR Green' was in fact heavily varnished (which darkened / dulled the colour) Malachite Green with BR Lettering / Insignia.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...