Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

New Years resolutions 2021

Kris

• RMweb Premium

Well 2021 is nearly upon us so it appears to that time of year again when I start a new Modelling resolutions thread (just as a bit of fun obviously). 

First off, a wish rather than a resolution.

2020 has been a torrid year but a year in which many of us have had more time for modelling than expected. In the coming year I would like to have less time available for modelling. A weird one to say but I suspect you know where I am coming from. 

And now to those resolutions 

This year I will... 

• Get my children's layout to a state that could be considered to be complete (i.e. something that you can take to an exhibition and not have to hide the unfinished bits).
  • Run a train on all of my layouts. 
  • Make significant scenic progress on the goods yard of Saltash station (the extension of Coombe Viaduct). 
  • Find a way to make Coombe Viaduct into a continuous run.
  • Print the remaining bits to complete my model of the Royal Albert Bridge.
  • Spend less money on toy trains but build some of my stash of kits. 

I wonder how many of these will get completed or even started, maybe I should print off a list and hang it up in the shed to remind and encourage me :D

So, I've shown you mine, what are yours like? Remember it's only for fun. 

Happy New Year and best wishes for a much better 2021

• Like 6

Well, my resolutions basically follow on from the previous year:

• Complete the scenery on the layout, or at least get into a state where I'd be happy to let other people see it :)
  • Make a start on weathering the locos and stock that will run on it.
  • Complete the traverser so that I've got somewhere to run the trains into and out of.
  • Finally settle on a name for the layout!

If that all goes to plan then I may, possibly, have an exhibitable layout by the end of the year, which would be nice. I've been an operator on other people's layouts at shows, and been part of a club team that built and exhibited a layout, but I've never done one of my own. It's a long-standing ambition, though, and it would be a real achievement to reach that stage.

In non-modelling resolutions, I'm just going to repeat the ones I made last year and hope that this year is more amenable to them actually happening:

• Finally go for a trip on the Settle and Carlisle, and/or some other of the UK's classic scenic routes.
  • Get the loft converted so I can make a start on the roundy-roundy.
  • Take the kids for a ride on the Ffestiniog Railway.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ian Simpson said:

I think my modelling resolution will just be to do one modelling job or project (however small) every week. 

Happy New Year, everyone!

That sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
  • More work on the inside portable layout and stock.
  • Refine my weathering techniques
  • Finally get some of my started kits finished
    • in particular get my Dapol/Branchlines railbus to run properly. 
    • if the above can be got to work properly try another brass kit (the above put me off them as it has never run reliably).
  • Learn much more about DCC, I have begun the conversion with some of my locos now DCC but still a novice.
  • Outside, two scrap pallets retained after recent building works so the aim is to get a continuous run around part of the garden so I can run the long trains it is impossible to do indoors.

All the best for 2021 to everyone, let us hope things do begin to get better during the coming year.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

After 2019 and 2020 - without doubt the two worst years of my life - I'd like to try and work out where my modelmaking mojo has hidden itself.

If possible, I also wouldn't mind building - and particularly completing - some build projects. Doing so to a standard I'd be happy with would, quite frankly, be a bonus.

Huw.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2020 at 08:05, Kris said:

Well 2021 is nearly upon us so it appears to that time of year again when I start a new Modelling resolutions thread (just as a bit of fun obviously). 

First off, a wish rather than a resolution.

2020 has been a torrid year but a year in which many of us have had more time for modelling than expected. In the coming year I would like to have less time available for modelling. A weird one to say but I suspect you know where I am coming from. 

And now to those resolutions 

This year I will... 

• Get my children's layout to a state that could be considered to be complete (i.e. something that you can take to an exhibition and not have to hide the unfinished bits).
  • Run a train on all of my layouts. 
  • Make significant scenic progress on the goods yard of Saltash station (the extension of Coombe Viaduct). 
  • Find a way to make Coombe Viaduct into a continuous run.
  • Print the remaining bits to complete my model of the Royal Albert Bridge.
  • Spend less money on toy trains but build some of my stash of kits. 

I wonder how many of these will get completed or even started, maybe I should print off a list and hang it up in the shed to remind and encourage me :D

So, I've shown you mine, what are yours like? Remember it's only for fun. 

Happy New Year and best wishes for a much better 2021

Hmmm so how did I do...

I failed at having less time for modelling, something which is a real shame and has had a big impact of other things. 

My children's layout is not finished but progress has been made.

I didn't run trains on all of my layouts. 

The goods yard has seen progress, not as much as I would like.

My Royal Albert Bridge model got knocked over and required a significant rebuild at the beginning of the year. This happened and I have progressed it further than it had been but it is a long way from finished. 

I certainly did spend less money, that's a win but I failed to make much of an impact on the amount of kits I have. 

So that is how I did with my modelling resolutions from 2021. With the Mods permission I'll start the 2022 topic tomorrow morning.